• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cbid Mold...

Anthony

Advertising Space -- Available Here
???
I just received an order from cigarbid that was riddled with mold... here's the cut and paste of the email I just sent them:

I received one of my orders today delivered via USPS, Gurkha Master Select Perfecto No. 3 (5-Pack) Lot #457062.

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=457062

Upon opening the box to place the sticks in my humidor, I immediately noticed a significant amount of MOLD on the exterior of the celo's. Upon closer inspection, the mold was also inside the celo on the cigars as well. All 5 sticks are affected, some on just the wrapper, and some on the wrapper and the head/foot. I have attached pictures.

Please advise as to what I should do...

Anyone else had a similar experience with them? It seems that whoever packed these for shipping should have easily noticed this!

~Anthony

CBIDGurkhas%20001b.JPG

CBIDGurkhas%20006b.JPG

CBIDGurkhas%20008b.JPG

CBIDGurkhas%20012b.JPG

CBIDGurkhas%20013b.JPG

CBIDGurkhas%20014b.JPG

I'm assuming they are over-humidifying to make up for summer shipping temperatures??

send an email with those pics attached, i'm sure they will try to right the situation.

Much as I dislike CI, they've never shipped a defect to me. I'm betting they'll make it right immediately.

You should have no issues with their customer service. I am certain that they will refund or replace without question. Keep us informed.

- Jason

now that i can see that, what is the difference between that and plume... (not to hijack or anything) im just a noob still

You should have no issues with their customer service. I am certain that they will refund or replace without question. Keep us informed.

- Jason

JAEwing is definitley right; in my experience, they are very good about replacing cigars. There is absolutely no reason to assume the responsibility of smoking moldly cigars when they WILL replace them. Although I no longer do much business with cbid, I do have to say they have very good customer service and would be shocked if they didn't take care of the issue for you.

I usually have the opposite problem. The smokes come so dry the labels will slip off. I usually have to keep them in the humidor for a week or so before i'll smoke them. Strange inconsistencies.

- Jason
X3. One time, they accidentally shipped me a 5-er of the wrong smokes, but stepped up to the plate and made it right pronto. I've always found their customer service to be top notch.... :thumbs:

The only time I've ever received moldy smokes is during the summer months. I try to get my box buying done during October - June +/- and avoid shipping smokes at all during the dregs of summer unless I just have to.

Good luck - keep us posted.

Regards - B.B.S.

This is the response I just received from cigarbid customer service:

Anthony,

It looks like plume to me. This is a natural by-product of aging. The plume is the crystalization of the natural oils of cigars. It is white in colour just like that. It also brushes right off of the cigar. What indicates otherwise to you?

Thanks!

To which I replied:

I appreciate your response to my inquiry. However, I am familiar with the difference between plume and mold, and if this were plume, I would not be concerned and would have probably smoked one of these by now.

It is definitely mold. Plume is not "fuzzy" and does not affect the filler of the cigar; plume also certainly does NOT show up on the cellophane. Additionally, the tobacco has an odor from the mold.

Thank you for your prompt response,

~Anthony

This is the response I just received from cigarbid customer service:

Anthony,

It looks like plume to me. This is a natural by-product of aging. The plume is the crystalization of the natural oils of cigars. It is white in colour just like that. It also brushes right off of the cigar. What indicates otherwise to you?

Thanks!

To which I replied:

I appreciate your response to my inquiry. However, I am familiar with the difference between plume and mold, and if this were plume, I would not be concerned and would have probably smoked one of these by now.

It is definitely mold. Plume is not "fuzzy" and does not affect the filler of the cigar; plume also certainly does NOT show up on the cellophane. Additionally, the tobacco has an odor from the mold.

Thank you for your prompt response,

~Anthony

There seems to be a lot of this going around at the different mail order companies. Mistaking mold for plume is really inexcusable if one is in the business of selling cigars. I don't know if they really don't know, or if they're just trying to avoid replacing them. I had the same thing happen with Holt's, Famous, and the Cuesta Rey member's club over the last 3 years. edited to add: all 3 companies did make it right after a quick phone call.

I might give them a call. I always seem to get much better service when I can actually speak to the other person rather than communicating via e-mail. Good luck to you. I certainly hope they eventually make it right.

I do plan to call if I can't get this resolved by email. We'll see what their response is first.

Tried calling, but they're only there M-F during NBH. Will call Monday.

Here is their final response:

Anthony,

We’ve reviewed these photgraphs and determined that it is plume. Plume can be fuzzy It can certainly migrate to the celephane and even affect the filler. The tabacco oil can come from anywhere. I understand you’ve gone through the trouble of photographing these so I know you’re very concerned. Tabacco can have a variety of different flavors with some of the best smelling bitter or even manure like. I hope this helps and I’m sorry to contradict you.