• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CC beginning

JayGibson

Frankly, I am rather new to cigars per se. I am looking at Fonseca No. 1 and Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas, does this seem a reasonable starting point for a beginner looking for a balance of quality and price? Suggestions?

Thanks.

If you are completely new to cigars, I'm going to suggest you sample what "domestic" cigars have to over before you go down that road. Give your palate some time to develop. Then you will enjoy and appreciate the realm of CCs even more (or find you don't like them at all). Allow your cigar experience to be a journey and not a sprint.

edited: i dun spellz so guud

If you are completely new to cigars, I'm going to suggest you sample what "domestic" cigars have to over before you go down that road. Give your palate some time to develop. Then you will enjoy and appreciate the realm of CCs even more (or find you don't like them at all). Allow your cigar experience to be a journey and not a sprint.

Plus, he lives in Kentucky! The great Commonwealth has some of the best prices anywhere.

Check out your local brick and mortar store and sample quite a few of the good blends that you can read about on this site. Kentucky is still tobacco friendly so take advantage of that while you can.

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the advice. I think I will try my luck, within the contextual constraints of my post, as is.

I live near Murray State University but was born and reared in Muhlenberg County, coal and tobacco country for sure. I was probably a bit misleading in my post as I have grown my own little patch, have sampled various 'US available' over my 43 years. That added to the fact, that temporally speaking, I figure I won't even be around long enough to wade my way through the myriad of Cubans. (Every morning I realize this, as when I drag myself arthritic self out of bed, it's a real pain- I spent most of my adult life as a competitive Powerlifter and my joints are 'waxed'.)

I did not want to appear presumptuous in my original post and it is quite honest that I am inexperienced vis a vis a sophisticated cigar smoker.

Without any doubt you guys are correct but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed

In that case, I'd say that in my limited experience with ISOM's, Bolivar and Por Larranaga have really been my favorite thus far. Smaller size formats seem to hit the spot just right. :thumbs:

This is my suggestion for you:

Hoyo De Monterrey Petit Robusto
Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No.2
Ramon Allones - specially selected & small club coronas
Montecristo Especial No.2
Montecristo No.4
Por Larranaga Petit Corona
H.Upmann magnum 46
H.Upmann No.2

If you want to spend a litte more money then order a box of H.Upmann magnum 48 EL 2009, this is the best `09 EL. I liked it so much that I order 5 boxes just after sampling one cigar.

Frankly, I am rather new to cigars per se. I am looking at Fonseca No. 1 and Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas, does this seem a reasonable starting point for a beginner looking for a balance of quality and price? Suggestions?
The latter is a perfect choice for beginners and non-beginners alike. The former is enjoyed by a smaller following and usually with an eye towards its budget status.

The ISOM's that started me off were:

RASS
Bolivar PC
PSD4

I would really recommend the Boli PC and RASS as a good starting point. Or the Boli Bonitas and the Partagas Shorts if your looking for the best price for value and thin/shorter smokes to learn with.

The ISOM's that started me off were:

RASS
Bolivar PC
PSD4

I would really recommend the Boli PC and RASS as a good starting point. Or the Boli Bonitas and the Partagas Shorts if your looking for the best price for value and thin/shorter smokes to learn with.

Excellent choices for someone starting out.

Starting out on the ISOM front, I would say that the El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme makes for a good introductory smoke. Light to Medium bodied...a nice sized robusto. Fonseca cigars are certainly lighter in strength and flavor, but I have really enjoyed the No. 1. As you are a seasoned smoker a better description of the flavor and strength profile you enjoy in your cigars could go a long way into recommending a maybe more suitable ISOM cigar for your palate.

Well. . .

Pulled the trigger on a box each of Fonseca No.1 and Montecristo No.4. I really appreciate the suggestions and the kindness here. Seriously.

I am a man of very modest means so price was indeed a factor, both shipped for 225.04 USD seemed like a value buy, considering the reviews, the info on this site and my thread, et cetera.

Wish me luck :)

Well. . .

Pulled the trigger on a box each of Fonseca No.1 and Montecristo No.4. I really appreciate the suggestions and the kindness here. Seriously.

I am a man of very modest means so price was indeed a factor, both shipped for 225.04 USD seemed like a value buy, considering the reviews, the info on this site and my thread, et cetera.

Wish me luck
smile.gif

I'm sure you will enjoy the cigars. I probably don't need to tell you that the Monty 4 is the best selling Cuban cigar in the world. With all that demand, production can be spotty at times with these cigars, but just the fact that the demand continues to stay strong despite that, tells you how enjoyable petit coronas can be.

The Fonesca No. 1 is a great mild cigar. Much more mild than the Monty No. 4 which I would classify as mild to medium. As I mentioned before, I enjoy the Fonsecas light flavors. Both of these are great bargain cigars in terms of price, but good values too in terms of what they deliver.

One last thing to note. I am sure that your tastes will change over time. Everyones does. The more you smoke, the more devloped you palate becomes. Eventually you will be looking for smokes that are more full bodied. Maybe not always, but you will begin to enjoy those more...