• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cedar "hope" chest ?

ca4john

Reaction score
We have two cedar hope chests in the basement and i know one, for sure, has a rubber seal (which I would replace) Is this do-able? Im not sure of the cedar lining, it may not be spanish cedar but, it sure is a nice piece and I think I could talk my wife into letting me use it (without to much of a fight) !!!!

Cedar chests are normally made out of red cedar. That wood is significantly harder than the Spanish cedar. One of the key qualities of the Spanish cedar is the moisture retention. Red cedar does not have the same characteristics. Also, the aroma of red cedar is much stonger and not particularly desired. It would get into the cigars and be like smoking my dad's sweater. :D

Not sure if you can cover it up with Spanish cedar though. Although I don't think I would try it, the aroma is just too strong.

Yep, people have had this idea before which at first seems like not a bad one BUT as others have already stated, you do NOT want to use a chest lined with red cedar to store your cigars in because more likely than not, it will make them taste funny.

If you REALLY want to convert this to a storage for your cigars, remove the red cedar. I don't see the need to line it with spanish cedar. Just store your cigars in wooden cigar boxes.

....That idea has been scratched..........thanks for slapping some sense into me, I think I will have to join the coolidor club!!!!!!!!!!!