• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cellaring Stouts

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
I love stouts but it's a cold weather/ winter beer for me. I've tried and cannot enjoy them in the warm or hot months. My dilemma is that I've come across a lot of very interesting and intriguing stouts lately. My question is if I put one on the cellar or fridge, how long would they last? Will they still be good in December/January?

Yes! I'm drinking through some three year old Westvleteren that's tasting mighty fine! :)

4 or 5 yrs. I just found 5 gallons of honey wheat I brewed 4 yrs ago. It is tasting mighty fine. Be sure you are drinking your stouts at room temp or you are wasting them.

The higher the ABV%, the better they'll handle ageing. Letting them sit will tend to smooth out flavors over time, so what was aggressive and ballsy fresh will generally become smooth and tamed down years later. This could be a good thing and a bad thing depending on your perspective and tastes.

I have tons of bottles of stouts and barleywines that have been sitting in my closet for years. Keeping them so long is not really my intention, just the way it works out. If you're planning on drinking the beer later on this year, you should be fine.