• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cellular Service Plans

ParaGod

Semper Fi
Man am I confused. I finally decided to take the plunge and get a cell phone, the main problem is that there is so many plans. I hope there is somebody out there that can help me, mainly I don't want to make a mistake and get a crappy plan that I am stuck with. So this is what I want.

1) I want a great cell phone with games and other techy stuff

2) I do not want to pay a s@#*load per month.

3) I will not be using the phone very often

4) I would like to eventually add a phone for my wife, and kid.

5) Good coverage.(Norther Calif), I do not need nationwide coverage.

Well I think that about covers it. So who can help me?

I do have a cell phone a friend gave me, I do not know if I can add it to a service thou.

Personally I like Verizon. I have used them here and when I was stationed in South Carolina. They offer a nationwide 'no roaming' plan as well as a regional 'no roaming' plan. If you are going to add family members later, the regional plan is the way to go I think. With the nationwide plan I have, to add anybody I have to pay full price again where as the regional allows minutes to be shared. Fo phones, I would suggest the Lg rather than the Motorolla. My old Motorolla was great, but when I upgraded to a new phone it was awful. i think you can get an LG flip phone for $49.00 after rebates. Hope this helps.

Arlen

It's hard to tell someone in a different area what provider to go for. I've been with Verizon, AT&T, and now I'm with Nextel. I'm ready to cancel this Nextel phone because it's too expensive. The plan is great, but I just don't use it enough to make up for what I'm paying. I pay $59/month ($71 with taxes), and I get unlimited incoming, long distance, 400 outgoing minutes, unlimited direct connect.

For what you described you want to do, T-Mobile would probably be great for you. That's probably what I'm switching to next. Verizon is good, but they have a way of making their plan look cheaper than it really is. AT&T is great as long as you stay away from the GSM network. Sucks in Los Angeles, but excellent in Las Vegas.

My 2 picks are either T-Mobile or Verizon.

The only provider I will NEVER sign up with is Cingular. Everyone I know who has them has bad service, and they cheat everyone on minutes. At least everyone I know.

Oh, and don't be cheap when it comes to the phone itself. A good phone is important. It's makes all the difference sometimes when it comes to reception. Don't get suckered into a 2 year contract if you can help it. If the service sucks, it's better to be stuck 1 year than 2. If you break your contract, you usually have to pay anywheres from $175-$250 termination fee. A real screw!

Hope this helps...

Here are some sites:
http://www.verizonwireless.com
http://www.tmobile.com
http://www.attws.com
http://www.sprintpcs.com

amazon.com has a good setup for comparison of the services even if you don't buy from them. Definitely ask around to see what service is best in your area. The only one you definetely don't want is Nextel, it's way to expensive for personal use.

I use Centennial Wireless. Sometimes the regional companies have better reception than the national Companies. Check service availability in your area for dead spots and ask your friends for references. Customer Service is a big one also. Where do you have to go to pay your bill? How long in line do you have to stand?

It sounds like your budget might suggest you pass on the phone until you really have the demand for one. $45-$100 will buy a lot of smokes each month.

I'd go with Verizon.

I have a plan for $40.00 a month. They have a variety of plans and from wht you told me, you could probably find one for even less.

Like Rod said, don't skimp on the phone itself. Oh, I highly doubt the phone your friend gave you will be able to be used with a carrier. I bought a real expensive one because I wanted it as small as possbile but you don't have to go crazy like I did.

Here in Connecticut, cell coverage is shaky (lots of dead spots) with all of these companies, BUT what I did was find a guy who works for a company that erects the towers all over New England. He said "Okay Bill, if you tell me WHERE you will be using your phone mostly, I can tell you which company you should go with." When I told him "Windham County" he told me "Verizon" which turned out to be true since Cingular, AT&T, Sprint all have worse service in my area based on my conversations with others. So, if you can find a contact like that, it's good information to know.

My brother has Nextel which has that walkie talkie feature that his wife and he use quite often. Nextel is expensive but he's lucky 'cause his company picks up the tab so I don't know how much that would be here but I know it would be higher than my plan with Verizon.

i've been with at&t for four years with no complaints.
i have to agree with rod on cingular. everyone i know
that has ad service thruogh them said it was total crap.

Call me crazy but I am sticking to my analog bag phone till they pry it from my....
Unlike my wife's digital phone. It's like talking to a Klingon in the dead areas.
Can you hear me now? Can you hear me NOW!

Well PG, Up until last Friday I have been selling Verizon in Central Ohio for the last 5 1/2 years.

I'm not quite sure what the local plans out there break down to, But The $39.99 Americas Choice Plan will give you 400 anytime minutes 1000 mobile to mobile minutes, Unlimited text mesaging and picture mesaging until Jan 1, 2004 and unlimited night and weekend calling for the life of your plan. The long distance is included from your home area, which on the Americas Choice is a preety big area.

As far as the phone goes, I would go with the LGI VX6000 picture phone. Its $200.00 up front and you get a $50.00 mail in rebate good thru November 22, 2003. Its pretty much the same phone as the LGI VX4400 but it has the camera built in with no F%$#@& up attachments needed to use the camera.

BE FOR WARNED ALL OF YOU!!!! The new Verizon Push-to-Talk service (like the Nextel Two Way) Is very ****ty. I'm not sure why they were in such a rush to get it out since Nextel has been around for a while but the system that it runs on is way behind as far as conect time on Push-to-Talk and group calls goes. I dont think the system will be up to Nextel standards until some time during second quater of next year!!

Just my.02 cents since you asked.

STYX&STONED

Gunpowder said:
Call me crazy but I am sticking to my analog bag phone till they pry it from my....
Unlike my wife's digital phone. It's like talking to a Klingon in the dead areas.
Can you hear me now? Can you hear me NOW!
YOUR CRAZY!!!!!!

Your bag phone will be useless in most of the US by the end of next year.

All though they have not started shutting down analog service in many areas yet, they will be soon do to the fact that the towers all all being bought by independent companys that dont provide service, just tower space. And the tower space will be leased to big Service Providers that dont use analog as their format.

So come on out and get ya one a dem new phones. LOL!!!!

STYX&STONED

PG, I am right by you and have had experience w/many of the major cell companys.

At&t- high rates and good service, phones did not have "techy" stuff till recently. ( I personally have had one of thier phones)

Nextel- Same as at&t, high rates and exelent service and coverage. ( I use one of these right now)

Metro PCS- avoid them like the plauge!!!!! Bad service, good prices (good friend has one, I use it quite a bit)

Cingular (formerly pac bell and a whole bunch of other ones!) DONT USE THEM!! Bad service even though thier rollover plan seems cool. ( I had a pac bell and was with them for about 6 months after the switch)

sprint pcs- decent coverage (not the best, but pretty good) and O.K. prices, not a bad co. ( I have one that I use right now)

Verizon- better than average coverage, horrible service and semi high prices. (Buddy just switched to nextel who had this, not bad though, BAD SERVICE they screwed him!!!)

T-mobile- not very good service and okay prices, kinda high for the quality of service (my POP has this service, I hate it, but that is just me.

These are the only phone co. that I have experience with. I hope that this evaluation helps you in your quest for a cell phone. I live very close to you and acctually have 2-3 active phones in my name, email or PM me if you have any more question and or if you think I can help you out in any other way.

Phil

My wife and I have been using Cingular since they bought out BellSouth Mobile. We have 2 seperate phones numbers, 2 350 minute plans, she has the regional roaming coverage, and I have international roaming coverage, both have free long distance, free nights and weekends. We rarely go over our minutes unless I am traveling. Then her minutes might go over. We couldn't be happier with our service. Now that Cingular is adding an image service to their plans, we may splurge and get 2 camera phones. This way she can send me pictures of the kids when I am underway(can't do it via email due to bandwidth). We are happy with Cingular and won't change unless they screw us.
Emo

My girlfriend had nextel and it was outrageously expensive and the service sucked.

I'm a big fan of Verizon. Never drop a call, great prices, and decent customer service. I won't use another company.

Well PG,

I'm glad we heard from STYX 'cause it's his field.

Kinda like asking me about Jaguars or political campaiging :D

The $39.99 plan he talked about is the exact one I have. I don't have the picture phone though. When I got my cell last year, I don't even think those things were available.

I use Sprint only because they offer me a better deal than anyone else. That's also probably because I've been a customer with them for 4 years now. My current plan is $35 per month and I get 800 anytime minutes, 1500 night/wknd plus $75 credit for a new phone every January. Personally, I think the service is decent for where I'm at. The phone selection for Sprint is pretty extensive.

Just my .02 :)

PG, If you decide to go with Verizon send me a PM!!! I still have some brand new techie phones around the house I'd be willing to cut a deal for or a nice trade!!!

Make it fast, My wife has been eye balling the last camera phone I have, but I still have some others also!!

These phones will still have a 1 year warranty on them from the manufacturer as the phones you would buy from Verizon. Warranty starts from the date of activation.

Brgds,
STYX&STONED

"CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW" It is a stupid add that has brought on alot of attention, but they do own the largest system out there and do spend more $$$$$ on system upgrades every 90 days than most companys spend in a year.

I am a sprint customer, but only because I get a decent deal... I am a former contractor for them.

With the amount of layoffs going on here in the KC area by Sprint, I would tend to shy away from them... they don't seem to be a very stable company at this time.

As soon as my latest service contract is up with Sprint, I will be changing providers.

Been using U.S. Cellular for four years here on the east coast. I like their family call plan. After paying full service on one phone, each phone after that is $5.00/month. Unlimited nights/weekends, 1200 minutes/month. My wife and both of the kids have their own phones. Usually average 1000 minutes a month.