• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"Che" by Steven Soderbergh

He is also starring in the remake of The Wolfman. Lon Chaney style. No stilts and crawling upside down on ceilings crap. Make up is said to be incredible.

I really enjoy watching Benicio Del Toro, he certainly has an interesting presence on screen.

Thanks for the link.

Oh goodie... another wave of Che merchandise, and another wave of idiots wearing his likeness who know nothing about the man.

Oh goodie... another wave of Che merchandise, and another wave of idiots wearing his likeness who know nothing about the man.

I was thinking the same thing. I try to practice "To each his own". But, I never understood why everyone acts like he's some kind of hero when they really know nothing of him.

I was thinking the same thing. I try to practice "To each his own". But, I never understood why everyone acts like he's some kind of hero when they really know nothing of him.

Oh, Hollywood is going to whitewash the weasel. Che worship aught to be legit, after.

Or perhaps some of them do. Some people still do read, I think. Or is every last person in this Great Nation of ours an idiot?

This movie, which the first half I believe is actually called, "The Argentine" and the second half is called "Guerilla" should be very good. A friend of mine, Alfredo De Quesada, from a show I did years ago co-stars next to Del Toro as Israel Pardo, there's an article about him Here.

It's two movies, which together total about 4 hours, so be sure to clear your schedule!

"A revolutionary must become a cold killing machine motivated by pure hate." -Che Guevara

"If the nuclear missiles had remained we would have used them against the very heart of America, including New York City." -Che Guevara

"We will march the path of victory even if it costs millions of atomic victims... We must keep our hatred alive and fan it to paroxysm." -Che Guevara

"Crazy with fury I will stain my rifle red while slaughtering any enemy that falls in my hands! My nostrils dilate while savoring the acrid odor of gunpowder and blood. With the deaths of my enemies I prepare my being for the sacred fight and join the triumphant proletariat with a bestial bowl." -Che Guevara

"(T)o execute a man we don't need proof of his guilt. We only need proof that it's necessary to execute him. It's that simple." -Che Guevara

I started a topic about this over at CF a week ago, and not here because I was afraid it would get too political and heated too fast (as seen in Kosmo's post). Is there a chance we can keep the discussion strictly to the movie, Del Toro's great acting job, and Soderbergh as a director?

Regardless of what you think of the man, the movie should at the very least be interesting. Soderbergh directing and Benicio Del Toro starring....sounds like the makings of a good movie.

I started a topic about this over at CF a week ago, and not here because I was afraid it would get too political and heated too fast (as seen in Kosmo's post). Is there a chance we can keep the discussion strictly to the movie, Del Toro's great acting job, and Soderbergh as a director?
The subject matter of the movie is political by nature. The image of Che Guevara has become a political symbol. The very mention of his name is often seen as a political statement.

I'm all for a good movie discussion, but I'm afraid the subject matter of this film doomed the topic to politics from the start.

I'm sure I'll see the movie...but Che was a dog and the devil himself. Too many people were murdered just so he and Fidel could have their way. Too damned bad they weren't both killer in the late 50's!

Regardless of what you think of the man, the movie should at the very least be interesting. Soderbergh directing and Benicio Del Toro starring....sounds like the makings of a good movie.

The subject matter of the movie is political by nature. The image of Che Guevara has become a political symbol. The very mention of his name is often seen as a political statement.

I'm all for a good movie discussion, but I'm afraid the subject matter of this film doomed the topic to politics from the start.

Yep.

Yep. My bad. Although, interesting...

Yep.

Yep. My bad. Although, interesting...
I agree, the movie may be very interesting. I'm not sure about the 4 hour part ( ??? :0 ), but it could be interesting if it's factual and doesn't take an Oliver Stone type approach and try to make the characters into something they're not. Benicio Del Toro is a fine actor.

I don't really go to the movie theater anymore, but I'll probably try to catch it when it comes out on DVD or one of the movie channels.

"I'd like to dedicate this to the man himself, Che Guevara," said the actor, after accepting his second big award under the US director's helmsmanship.

"I wouldn't be here without Che Guevera, and through all the awards the movie gets you'll have to pay your respects to the man."

n Cannes for the screening, he recounted how like the average American he grew up with a bad guy image of Cuba's hero until stumbling on a book on the guerrilla leader in Mexico.

"He had a really warm smile. I bought the book and then read more. The love people had for this man made me more interested," he said.

"He(che) really had a warm smile...."

Really, as he murdered Cubans, often shooting them in the back of the head...... Oh, I see......

The truth, however, is that Che was no less a brutal killer than other communist leaders. If he failed to rise to the same "heights" as Lenin or Mao, it was largely for lack of opportunity.

1. Che was responsible for the execution of thousands of political prisoners in Cuba (most of them purely for their opposition to Castro's communist policies or for no reason at all).

2. Che enjoyed torturing and abusing the prisoners, including children.

3. Che was instrumental in setting up the Castro regime's massive forced labor camps and secret police apparatus.

4. Che tried to organize campaigns of terrorism against civilians in the US and elsewhere (though he largely failed in these efforts).

5. Far from being merely a Third World nationalist or pragmatic leftist, he was a committed, hard-line Stalinist, even going so far as to call himself "Stalin II" early in his career.

No thank you on seeing that movie and I'm not even Cuban....

Dan

Well, Lightning, since you insist on making this a political topic and starting trouble with your post, how about you provide references for your quotes? Were you there when he did all of that stuff? Or did you read it on the internet so it must be true?

Back