• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cheaper pipes

carddoug

Banned
Hi I'm pretty new to smoking pipes, i've only smoked a pipe once. I'm thinking of getting a pipe, i looked at j.m boswell's website saw one i liked, it was pipe f, but then i saw the price it was 299$. what is the difference between a cheaper pipe then the j.w.? i'm sure the j.w. is made better but will the tobacco taste or smoke the same in either pipe. i will say that the pipe i saw on the website looked the best.

Being a beginner, and all, you might want to start out with a more traditional sized pipe. That pipe is huge. It has a 1 inch dia. bowl. Find something in the 3/4 in. range. You'll have enough trouble keepin' it lit. You can find very good pipes in the $50 to $100 range. Stanwell, Savanelli, just to name a couple.

Doc.

Cobs are great and dirt cheap.

Not as pretty as a fine briar, but they smoke well.

For a cheap briar, you can always get a Dr. Grabow. They smoke well and are very affordable.

Another route is to look at estate pipes. I have bought a few lots of estates off Ebay and have gotten some very nice smokers out of them. Takes some effort to clean them up, but it can be well worth your time for the $200 pipe that you got for 10 bucks.

I would start out with some corncobs, they are cheap in price, but
they are great smokers.

Being a beginner, and all, you might want to start out with a more traditional sized pipe. That pipe is huge. It has a 1 inch dia. bowl. Find something in the 3/4 in. range. You'll have enough trouble keepin' it lit. You can find very good pipes in the $50 to $100 range. Stanwell, Savanelli, just to name a couple.

Doc.

Another great brand where a large portion of the pipes fall in the under $100 range is Peterson.

Though, if you can catch Boswell's on a sale day...and don't mind spending hours by the computer hitting refresh...and redialing the number for 30min to get through...most of those pipes are in the 50-100 range also (As long as you don't go for those Grizzly pipes!). I love my boswell, though I have a selection of Petersons and Savinelli's, it's really just what fits your personality. There are a lot of nice quality pipes out there to be had at a not so high price.

ANYTHING from the Savinelli Morino line is also a great pickup for ~$50

They are hot items in our stogie shop...and I have yet to see one come back cracked or split due to "natural" causes.

In terms of quality for the price...a top notch buy.

I am a big Stanwell fan and picked most of mine up for between $45-100. Good quality pipe at an affordable price. Being that you are new, I second the advice given above on also picking up a couple cobs.

You can also go to the Boswell site and look through the gallery until you find something you like. The "Classic" line will likely have the most pipes in your price range. They don't have prices on them or anything, but a quick e-mail or phone call can get you something pretty similar. It won't be exactly the same, but they're great folks to work with and will make sure you're satisfied. They have a lot of pipes in the shop that aren't on the website.

When I decided to venture into pipe smoking from the cigar world I asked my local tobacconist who also smoked a pipe what I should buy. Without even blinking an eye he said, "Corncob!". I admit, I was a little thrown off at first. But I respected him for not pushing an expensive briar pipe on me, even a lower priced briar. But he knew that if I enjoyed the corncob, I would be back for not only more pipes, but pipe tobacco- he was right!

Even though I own a couple Petersons, Mastro de Paja, Boswell, etc, I still smoke my corncobs several times a week- even daily some weeks. Aside from being my "walk the dog" or "cleaning up dog doo" pipes, the corn cobs actually smoke really nice (even better then a couple of my briars. They are also good for trying new tobaccos, instead of putting a tobacco you may not end up liking too much in your new briar pipe.

I am still a newbie to this, so you can definately take the words of many of these brothers of the briar. Also, the pipe's visual and artistic quality (and price) doesn't necessarily match up to the quality of smoke you get out of the pipe. I picked up a $25 no-name briar pipe that has been smoking beautifully- and it doesn't look to shabby either.

Good luck!
Eric D.

thank you all for posting, the link below is a pipe i like. But I think im going to go with a cheap cob before i buy a more expensive one. http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/pete...roduct_id=39250

carddoug,

If that is the style of pipe you like, send me your shipping information. I can get you a savinelli morino that is fairly similar and should suit your liking. The only thing I ask is that you continue to be active here in the pipe forum, we need members down here to pitch in every so often :laugh: :thumbs:

thank you all for posting, the link below is a pipe i like. But I think im going to go with a cheap cob before i buy a more expensive one. http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/pete...roduct_id=39250

carddoug,

If that is the style of pipe you like, send me your shipping information. I can get you a savinelli morino that is fairly similar and should suit your liking. The only thing I ask is that you continue to be active here in the pipe forum, we need members down here to pitch in every so often :laugh: :thumbs:
yes i will send the info soon.

carddoug,

very nice play!

carddoug,

yes i will send the info soon.

I don't have the tracking number readily available, but the pipe should be there early this week. :thumbs:

If you're willing to consider the estate route, Frenchy's Pipes is a great source of pipes: www.frenchyspipes.com. I recently picked up a Bjarne (my first briar!) from him at a very reasonable price. It's worth checking every once in a while, as the lineup of refurbished estate pipes changes frequently, but that means that you're more likely to glimpse a pipe you'd enjoy smoking.

If you ever get up towards Louisville, cross the river to downtown New Albany, IN and go to Kaiser's tabacco on Pearl Street. Tell Chip you want to see the pipes in the discount boxes. I just bought three this week. They are brand new pipes, just things that didn't sell and got rotated off the display. $30-40 ish pipes for $20. There may or may not be something you like but if you are in the area, it is worth a shot.