• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chemical taste

Toro

I was just smoking a Cusano P1 that I got for $2.70. I know it's not the most premium cigar out there, but I just needed a quick cheap one to smoke while I went fishing. But anyway once I got into it, I noticed a weird chemical taste. I didn't know what the deal with that was, it's suppose to be a natural cigar, and it wasn't stored improperly, so what could it have been? Was it just the low grade tobacco? I mean, I wouldn't think that I've smoked all the different cheap brands out there and never noticed this before.

I was just smoking a Cusano P1 that I got for $2.70. I know it's not the most premium cigar out there, but I just needed a quick cheap one to smoke while I went fishing. But anyway once I got into it, I noticed a weird chemical taste. I didn't know what the deal with that was, it's suppose to be a natural cigar, and it wasn't stored improperly, so what could it have been? Was it just the low grade tobacco? I mean, I wouldn't think that I've smoked all the different cheap brands out there and never noticed this before.

What sort of chemical taste?

Also, try to keep the smoking end dry. If you wet it up with too much saliva it could become very bitter.

What did you light it with? Using a cheap bic or zippo can definitely add some nasty flavors.

Well, I used a cheap lighter, but it was the same one I lit up a Montecristo classic with, and that didn't have any problems.

Sometimes I just find that cheap smokes do that. There's probably a scientific explanation for it out there, but I usually just write it off as the cost of smokin' inexpensive cigars.

[quote name='5 O'Clock Somewhere' post='635981' date='Mar 20 2008, 04:27 PM']Sometimes I just find that cheap smokes do that. There's probably a scientific explanation for it out there, but I usually just write it off as the cost of smokin' inexpensive cigars.[/quote]

I kinda agree with this. I'll also say that I've noticed that it gets worse the more you try to smoke it to a nub. I think I heard some good advice here, about something else though but that could be used in this case as well. Just smoke better cigars! :) hehe

[quote name='{tpc}' post='635985' date='Mar 20 2008, 03:31 PM'][quote name='5 O'Clock Somewhere' post='635981' date='Mar 20 2008, 04:27 PM']Sometimes I just find that cheap smokes do that. There's probably a scientific explanation for it out there, but I usually just write it off as the cost of smokin' inexpensive cigars.[/quote]

I kinda agree with this. I'll also say that I've noticed that it gets worse the more you try to smoke it to a nub. I think I heard some good advice here, about something else though but that could be used in this case as well. Just smoke better cigars! :) hehe
[/quote]

Yea, I've become a friggin' snob over the last few months. Thank you CP, thank you. :laugh:

Flor de Oliva --> Rocky Patel --> Tat Brown Label, VSGs, Fuentes, and ISOMs :blush: Oh boy, what it was like to have money.

Also, try to keep the smoking end dry. If you wet it up with too much saliva it could become very bitter.

I've never heard of this. Can you give more detail?
Nope. Either I read it somewhere or somebody told me, I can't remember. It may be total bunk, but I work at keeping it dry just the same. I'll look to see if I can find out more info. More then likely somebody just pulled it out of their but and I ran with it. LOL

There's been time when I nword lipped my cigar(I'm not racist, that's just what people call it) and the flavor hasn't been effected. I just think the cigar was just low quality. And I figured a bic wasn't a good cigar lighter, but if a zippo isn't then what should I go with? Is there any that I can get for under $15.

Nope. Either I read it somewhere or somebody told me, I can't remember. It may be total bunk, but I work at keeping it dry just the same. I'll look to see if I can find out more info. More then likely somebody just pulled it out of their but and I ran with it. LOL

Either way I am finding that I need to smoke a bit "dryer" because at a HERF you tend to pass cigars around and I have been told mine gurgle :blush:

Either way I am finding that I need to smoke a bit "dryer" because at a HERF you tend to pass cigars around and I have been told mine gurgle :blush:

Yeah, then you have to be polite and pretend it does not bother you.............Fuggin know it all!

Simple economics - less expensive cigars will have cheaper tobacco, less carefully fermented, rolled by less experienced folks, and aged less than more expensive smokes. Some may smoke great but metallic, strange tastes are not surprising. Stick to stick variability will also be far greater than more expensive brands.

Having said that, I've smoked boxes of Padron 2000's and can't recall every getting a plugged or otherwise "funny" tasting one. There are very high quality smokes out there that are inexpensive enough to smoke every day.... :cool:

....long and short of it; smoke better cigars. That ought to do it.... ;)

Regards - B.B.S.