• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chevy Truck owners PSA!

I've spent plenty of time driving and riding around in the O.G. H1, the HMMWV. I have no problem never being within ten feet of one again -- civilized version, or not.
How hard was it to break one of those OG’s? Could they take a beating?

That’s what my wife wants now... if I can find one with a decent body, I would likely have the engine rebuilt with more power, supercharger and headers, similar to what we did with the H2. My friend John wants an H2 that he can modify and put the triple Tesla motor system in, but I still don’t think it would be enough power... those things weight about 7000 lbs.

Mil-Spec would be your friend then. They are a company that basically un-shitbox the H1. Ever drove an H1? They are some of the worst vechiles to own. Both the gas and diesels engines are anemic and prove to shitting the bed. The interior is crap levels that would make a Geo Storm seem luxurious. If you HAD to buy an non modified H1 the H1 Alpha is your best choices, at least those came with a Duramax/Allison drivetrain, but expect to pay for it. Mil-Spec will take any H1 and convert the drivetrain over to a Duramax/Allison with selectable 4X4, unlike the stock H1 which

Mil-Spec would be your friend then. They are a company that basically un-shitbox the H1. Ever drove an H1? They are some of the worst vechiles to own. Both the gas and diesels engines are anemic and prove to shitting the bed. The interior is crap levels that would make a Geo Storm seem luxurious. If you HAD to buy an non modified H1 the H1 Alpha is your best choices, at least those came with a Duramax/Allison drivetrain, but expect to pay for it. Mil-Spec will take any H1 and convert the drivetrain over to a Duramax/Allison with selectable 4X4, unlike the stock H1 which
I do have to admit the H1 has always been one of my bucket list vehicles to own. However I have had the opportunity to drive one and your absolutely correct. The interior is like driving inside of a tin can. A HUGE tin can. Also driving the damn thing isn’t the most relaxing thing to do on city streets. The thing is so damn wide I ran over multiple curbs making right turns and always felt like I was going to side swipe a parked vehicle or cars driving next to me.

Still want one though :) Though I doubt I’ll ever actually pull the trigger. Will be an unchecked item on my list. Same goes for a Lamborghini Diablo. Bucket list but would never actually buy the thing. That is unless I start wearing tons of gold jewelry and wear Versace shirts unbuttoned to my belly button.

I do have to admit the H1 has always been one of my bucket list vehicles to own. However I have had the opportunity to drive one and your absolutely correct. The interior is like driving inside of a tin can. A HUGE tin can. Also driving the damn thing isn’t the most relaxing thing to do on city streets. The thing is so damn wide I ran over multiple curbs making right turns and always felt like I was going to side swipe a parked vehicle or cars driving next to me.

Still want one though :) Though I doubt I’ll ever actually pull the trigger. Will be an unchecked item on my list. Same goes for a Lamborghini Diablo. Bucket list but would never actually buy the thing. That is unless I start wearing tons of gold jewelry and wear Versace shirts unbuttoned to my belly button.

Yea the H1 was on my want list for years until a buddy let me borrow his for the weekend. I couldn't throw the keys back at him fast enough 😂 Having said that, if I won the lottery with some f you money to throw around I would totally get one done by Mil-Spec. Hell, they even made a damn drift H1!!

A Diablo has been on my dream list for as long as I can remember. Fun fact, when the Diablo went from pop-up headlamps to fixed units, they actually used headlamps from a Nissan 300ZX. In fact, on the top of the headlamps there's a strip of carbon fiber, if you pull it back it will have Nissan branding under it.

Yea the H1 was on my want list for years until a buddy let me borrow his for the weekend. I couldn't throw the keys back at him fast enough 😂 Having said that, if I won the lottery with some f you money to throw around I would totally get one done by Mil-Spec. Hell, they even made a damn drift H1!!

A Diablo has been on my dream list for as long as I can remember. Fun fact, when the Diablo went from pop-up headlamps to fixed units, they actually used headlamps from a Nissan 300ZX. In fact, on the top of the headlamps there's a strip of carbon fiber, if you pull it back it will have Nissan branding under it.
Maybe I should just buy an old 300zx lol

@PaulTra my neighbor recently bought his bucket list car. 2010 Murcielago. He kept it for 3 weeks and sold it, just bought a Mustang GT350R. Said his bucket list changed immediately after actually driving the thing haha.

@PaulTra my neighbor recently bought his bucket list car. 2010 Murcielago. He kept it for 3 weeks and sold it, just bought a Mustang GT350R. Said his bucket list changed immediately after actually driving the thing haha.

Haha I can believe it. The early Mercis weren't great cars. Fast as hell, but tugboats could out handle it. The Merci to get would be an SV. That's when Audi fully stepped in and taught Lambo about suspension and assembly lines lol.

I would tell your buddy to hang on the that car as long as possible. Ford recently discontinued the R model, and the GT350R is one of the best Mustangs ever built to date. Most critics love it more than the new GT500, and if Ford ever decides to go full electric with the Mustang, and they probably will, the GT350R will be highly sought after.

What's the sandrail looking vehicle that has the MaDeuce on the top?
That's my bucket list!!!

How hard was it to break one of those OG’s? Could they take a beating?

The engines seemed to be the weak link. Never broke one, though, and we definitely played with them out at the dropzone doing all kinds of shit on Camp Robinson. The flat bottoms weren't good in mud pits, though. They would bog down way too easily -- good thing all of our had winches on them!

Thanks for the write up and the pictures Paul! I will say I had a very different experience with dod on my 07 Tahoe, that I bought with 172k on it and put about 100k on it, but probably an outlier more than anything else. It was a good truck, just tired of pulling my trailer when I traded it in lol. Never had a problem with the dod but I was (and am) very aware of the issues they had.

Other things that bothered me though were exhaust manifold bolts that seem to alway break and are a pain to deal with...I actually never bothered with my broken ones as a result. And trying to get to the stupid plugs in the back by the firewall. God help you if you don’t thread one in right or if yours have been in for 172k miles...it’s like you have to be a magician to deal with those.

Don’t even talk to me about dropping the transmission pan. Whoever came up with the idea to have the mount for the shifter linkage to attach to the top of the trans with small 10 mm bolts that you can only fit a 1/4 drive tool on that has about a 1/4 of space to try to move them....needs ugh..never mind. It sucks. Note to anyone...bend the damn bracket and bend it back carefully and the pan will drop out past it. Or just pay the dealer to change the fluid.

But all this stuff gives me pause as I plan (or planned) on possibly buying a hd Gm truck in the next few years. I would have thought they sorted out all the dod stuff by now, but I guess not. Do they have auto start/stop like the fords do? Talk about annoying, but at least they give you a button to turn that off. I can’t recall, but I thought driving in tow mode would turn dod off, but maybe not.