• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chevy Truck owners PSA!

One thing I recall when I was big into the Toyota trucks community (TTORA), is that the very early Tundras had a lot of front suspension issues. One of my old coworkers had issues with his, as well (it was a great looking truck, though!). Just something to keep in mind. I imagine that if it were to have had issues, they would have presented and been rectified by now, however.

My 2004 Limited Tundra had a recall performed for the ball joints several years ago. Recently, one of my clients showed up with the exact same truck. He bought it used for his wife. They were going somewhere a few years ago after having the same recall performed, and the drivers side spindle and wheel just suddenly detached at highway speed. They didn’t crash, but his wife refuses to go anywhere in that truck now he said.

Bump! So you don’t end up like Bill or myself.

If you have a GM truck with the DOD system get to a shop and have it turned off!!!! This will save you THOUSANDS!

If you don’t know what DOD (displacement on demand) is it is when under low load the computer shuts off 1/2 of the motor by using oil pressure on the lifters for cylinder 2,3,5,8. What happens over time is the lifter sticks down and won’t work the valve anymore. At the bare minimum you will need to rebuild that head. If the lifter sticks in a position that it is hitting the cam wrong then it will chew the cam up and then your into a motor or rebuild.

For the non technical people DOD isdisplayed on your dash. There will be an indicator that shows the mode it is in V8 or V4. When you have a shop turn off the system it will never go to V4 again avoiding this problem.

I think they startedwith this system back on ‘07 and stopped building them in 2018 due to the failures.

2D6177BC-AC3D-4515-8F81-D6A4D1D66A71.jpeg

Paul

On a serious note..........that sucks! And, I am really impressed that you took care of it yourself!

Now, back to reality, Chevy trucks are meant for an occasion ride to the country club. They are not meant to be driven every day!

Meet Fi-Fi 79 F-150
When I bought her in 1992
1618348400862.png

Now, she bounces off trees and goes through small ponds!
1618348533946.png

Hm. Meet her cousin. 72k original miles when I bought her in NC from the original owner in Feb 2018. No rust, all parts original except the wheels, and he gave me the original wheels, hubcaps ... and lugnuts. I would drive this truck anywhere.

20180223_144943.jpg

I thought that was the ugliest Chevy truck I had ever seen. Makes sense now....

Don't make fun of my Ford, it will be providing you a lot of fun in a couple weeks!

The only problem is we won't have anything to pull it out if we get it stuck!🤠

Fords are still very popular. As was stated, everyone has their personal preference. And, yep, each make/model has their downfall. To me, the interior of most imports has always felt uncomfortable and made of lesser or light feeling components, yet, many owners keep them for 300k miles plus.

115K on my '05 Dodge Ram that has been all around the world and, knock on metal body parts, no real issues so far...

Every brand has their unfortunate inherent issues, for sure. Sounds like GM has a pretty major one with this particular engine.

115K on my '05 Dodge Ram that has been all around the world and, knock on metal body parts, no real issues so far...

Every brand has their unfortunate inherent issues, for sure. Sounds like GM has a pretty major one with this particular engine.

FCA has similar stories of their lifters failing on the MDS and then eating cam lobes.

Seems like many of these horror stories could be prevented with proper oil and oil change intervals.

Last edited:
I have owned full size 1/2 ton & 3/4 ton Chevy & Ford pickups but I'm still luvin my 2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 V6 extended cab flare side. 😂

Purchased this one new in April, 2004, and she currently has 153K+ miles. Besides being a low cost vehicle I love driving the smaller foot print truck, versus a 1/2 ton, or a 3/4 ton full size. Driving the Ranger is like driving a big go-cart but with a V6 under the hood. :D
Best 'truck' I ever purchased. :cool:

FCA has similar stories of their lifters failing on the MDS and then eating cam lobes.

Seems like many of these horror stories could be prevented with proper oil and oil change intervals.

Aye. Luckily, mine's a 2005. Obviously didn't know it when I bought it new, but over time these 2005 model year trucks became considered as pretty much the high point of the 3rd Gen Ram. They got most all of the problems of the "new" 3rd gen ironed out, and it was before they changed the engine, CANBUS, and suspension. They started putting MDS in the trucks in 2006. In addition, 2006 was the mid-cycle refresh, and the trucks got a new facelift and went to coil over front suspension vs. the previous torsion bar suspension. There were a LOT of front end issues in 2006 and 2007. If you get a Dodge Ram, fun as fast as you can from any 2006 model.

Aye. Luckily, mine's a 2005. Obviously didn't know it when I bought it new, but over time these 2005 model year trucks became considered as pretty much the high point of the 3rd Gen Ram. They got most all of the problems of the "new" 3rd gen ironed out, and it was before they changed the engine, CANBUS, and suspension. They started putting MDS in the trucks in 2006. In addition, 2006 was the mid-cycle refresh, and the trucks got a new facelift and went to coil over front suspension vs. the previous torsion bar suspension. There were a LOT of front end issues in 2006 and 2007. If you get a Dodge Ram, fun as fast as you can from any 2006 model.

Compared to my 13 F150, my 21 Ram is several steps nicer. Even though it's slower.

Good to know, I'll be looking for a 3500 diesel in a year or so, and no way I'm dropping the coin for a new one, and most of what I've been looking at have been around that year.