• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chili

We had an end of season tailgate for my boys football teams yesterday so I made a batch of chili. Turned out fantastic. Now this was for kids so it has no real heat, but I'm sure many of you can easily fix that. ;)

Day before:

3 lbs of beef chuck roast cut into cubes about 1 inch
3 lbs of pork (I used western style ribs) cut into 1 inch cubes
3/4 lbs of dried pinto beans
3/4 lb of dried kidney beans

After cubing the meat, season it with worchester sauce, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic salt and onion powder. Marinate overnight in the fridge.

Pour 8 cups of hot water over the beans, bring to boil for two minutes. Remove from heat and soak for one hour. Drain, soak overnight in cold water.

2 large onions chopped
1 large green bell pepper chopped
1 large red bell pepper chopped
1 large poblano pepper chopped
1 jar 19 oz Roasted Red piquillo peppers (I get them at BJ's, but any roasted pepper will do)
1 large can (28 oz) of whole tomatoes
1 med can (14oz) of whole tomatoes
3 to 4 quarts of chicken stock
1/3 cup of dark molasses
1 small can of tomato paste

Liberal amounts of salt, pepper, garlic salt and your favorite chili powder

Brown the meat in small batches in the pot you are going to cook in using with a small amount of oil that has a high smoke point. The key to this step is to get the pot as hot as possible without burning the meat and the wonderful crusty drippings it leaves behind. Spoons each batch of meat into a large bowl to catch the drippings.

After all of the meat has been browned, pour some of the drippings into the pot and let them reduce down. It will foam up quickly and reduce down within a minute or two. Add a tablespoon or three of oil.

Add the onions and season with salt, pepper and chili powder. Saute for 3-5 minutes.
Add the green, red and pablano pepper and season with salt, pepper and chili powder. Saute for another 3-5 minutes.
At this point the smell should be phenomenal.

Add the roasted red peppers, liquid and all, to the pot and stir. Let cook for a few minutes.

Add the whole tomatoes, squeezing each one individually as you put them in, then add the liquid contents of the can.

Season with salt, pepper and chili powder. Cook for 3- 5 minutes.

Add the meat. Add chicken stock to cover the meat. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 90 minutes.

Sample for seasonings and adjust accordingly.

Add the molasses and tomato paste, stir to incorporate, Add the beans. bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for another 90 minutes. Sample at 30 minute intervals to adjust for seasoning.

Taste the beans for doneness. If needed, simmer another 30 - 60 minutes.

You should now have some very awesome chili. For hot sauce, I use Iguana Red from Half Moon Bay Trading Company to add some heat in the bowl. It is a moderately hot cayenne based sauce made in Costa Rica.

If you know beans about chili, you know chili has no beans. :laugh:

Sounds like a tasty pot of chilli Jim, I'll have to keep this recipe for a future tail-gate....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

BEANS WITH CHILIES

This is generally very spicy, but can vary depending on the chilies

2 pounds of meat cubed or ground
4-6 Pablano peppers (Some stores label them pasilla)
3-5 Anaheim chilies
2 large jalapenos
3 large Serrano chilies
1 medium onion
8-10 roma tomatoes
1 30 0z. can kidney beans
1 30oz. can pinto beans
1-2 tbsp Ancho chili powder
1tbsp marjoram
1-2 tsp cumin
salt to taste

Brown meat and onions in a large skillet

Dice everything. (I leave the tomatoes more cube sized) (I don't drain the beans if you do, add water to compensate)

Place all ingredients in a large crock pot and slow cook for 8-10 hours. I like mine a tad on the thicker side, so I generally twist the lid for the last hour or so and let some of the liquid evaporate.

My recipe? I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. I CAN tell you that it may or may not include some, all or none of the following:

Butter
Shredded chicken
Tomatoes
Tomato paste
Vodka
Chicken stock (bones, skin, water, celery, onion, carrots, parsley)
Pinto beans
Kidney Beans
Corn
Jalapeno
Birdseye
Green and Red bell peppers
Onion
Garlic
Cumin
Chili powder
Oregano
Marjoram
Salt
Pepper
Milk

This may also be served alongside something which may contain one or more off the following:

Buttermilk
Flour
Salt
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Shredded Cheddar

My recipe? I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. I CAN tell you that it may or may not include some, all or none of the following:

Butter
Shredded chicken
Tomatoes
Tomato paste
Vodka
Chicken stock (bones, skin, water, celery, onion, carrots, parsley)
Pinto beans
Kidney Beans
Corn
Jalapeno
Birdseye
Green and Red bell peppers
Onion
Garlic
Cumin
Chili powder
Oregano
Marjoram
Salt
Pepper
Milk

This may also be served alongside something which may contain one or more off the following:

Buttermilk
Flour
Salt
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Shredded Cheddar

What a tease.

Vodka? ....Very Interesting.