• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chocolate Covered Cherry Moonshine

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
This is the second flavor I found online in the expansion of my moonshine offerings. Not being a fan of cherries, except when they come right off the tree, I was drawn to make this because all my friends and family like cherry flavored sh*t and whined about it when I mentioned I wanted to make a new flavor of moonshine. I searched many cherry moonshine recipes and none appealed to me, especially when they listed "canned tart cherries" or "tart cherry juice"...just reading that made my stomach flinch. Then I saw a version of a chocolate covered cherry moonshine recipe, but that still involved using tart cherries. Not giving a crap because I figured I'd never drink this stuff, I set out to make up my own recipe from scratch. Here is what I came up with...

Ingredients:

2 - 64oz. bottles of cherry juice. I used Juicey Juice brand. It said cherry juice on the from, had no added sugar...and didn't mention the word "tart"
3 - cans of pitted dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup....and again, no mention of the word "tart"
1 - cup white sugar
4 - teaspoons almond extract
1 - 750ml bottle of 190 proof Everclear
1 - 750ml bottle of chocolate liquor. I used Hiram Walker Creme de Cacao

IMG_3178.JPG

I started out by adding the cherry juice to the pot and turned on the heat. Once it got warm I added the sugar and stirred it until it was completely melted. Then I added the almond extract. At that point I added the canned cherries along with their syrup. I gently stirred that because I didn't want to break apart the cherries as I was going to add them to each jar when I bottled it.

IMG_3181.JPG

When you first add the cherries, they sink to the bottom. But as they heat up, they will float to the top. I cooked it about 15 to 20 minutes in total. Then I turned off the heat and let it cool over night.

The next morning I got out another big pot and put a fine mesh strainer on top. Then I poured the contents of the first pot into there to strain out the cherries. I put them aside to continue to drain into a bowl as I added to Everclear & chocolate liqueur to the pot. Give that a thorough mix and taste test it...very nice!

I had sterilized twelve 16oz Mason jars and divided up the cherries. When I weeded out the mangled ones, I had about 8-10 cherries in each jar.

IMG_3188.JPG

This batch made twelve 16oz jars and one 750ml bottle...that I jammed the mangled cherries into. I must say. even not being a fan of cherries, this stuff is damn good.

IMG_3189.JPG

My daughter snagged a jar to take home with her before I could take the ending picture. She's a bizarro cherry fan.

IMG_3190.JPG

As for the taste, it's sweet, but not overly sweet and has a thick creamy mouth feel. And it has a nice finish on your taste buds, not tart at all, which was my initial goal. So for you tart cherry fans out there, go that route with the tart juice & tart canned cherries and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
I never saw this OP! This looks pretty good, but I'm hoping to get the time to make the apple one for the first time in the next few weekends.

Sounds ineresting may have to try this when I get my hands on more shine.