• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Aficionado Top 25 and a pretty cool thread jack.

cohibasurfer

one day older than dirt
Alright... post your thoughts on the rankings.

For me.... This kind of confirms it's not a vote but an ad purchase based compilation of cigars.

The Oliva V is the only stick they make that I think is enjoyable (My opinion). If you believe a group of avid cigar smokers smoked that one and then the Padron 64 and thought, man this Oliva one is way better....... I have some Ocean front property in Utah you are going to love.. (More fact than opinion but I suppose it's opinion)

I've never been impressed with the Romeo Y Julieta NC's. To put that just behind the Padron 64 and above the Rare Pink (even though limited releases shouldn't be included in this) is crazy to me.

The Alec Bradley is 100% a purchased spot. I smoked 1 of those this year and didn't finish it... Before you say "its all personal taste", without looking back, AB has been buying spots in the top 10 the last 8+ years. I could be wrong and crazy, but I don't care enough to look back. If you say I am wrong, tell me that stick is better than the Padron 64, the my father, and Rare pink....

If you've read this far its probably because you don't agree with me and that's cool.

What if, we do our own CigarPass top 10? Someone (It's always me who gets volunteered) puts up a poll and we select 10 cigars as our "top 10 NC's" (sorry @CigSid) and then buys boxes to be able to send everyone who wants in all 10 sticks with generic bands (Napkin holders) on them. Then we compile the list and see what everyone thinks..... If enough people are interested I can make a new post (Sorry to hijack) and see what we can do.

The Oliva V is the only stick they make that I think is enjoyable (My opinion). If you believe a group of avid cigar smokers smoked that one and then the Padron 64 and thought, man this Oliva one is way better....... I have some Ocean front property in Utah you are going to love.. (More fact than opinion but I suppose it's opinion)

I've never been impressed with the Romeo Y Julieta NC's. To put that just behind the Padron 64 and above the Rare Pink (even though limited releases shouldn't be included in this) is crazy to me.

The Alec Bradley is 100% a purchased spot. I smoked 1 of those this year and didn't finish it... Before you say "its all personal taste", without looking back, AB has been buying spots in the top 10 the last 8+ years. I could be wrong and crazy, but I don't care enough to look back. If you say I am wrong, tell me that stick is better than the Padron 64, the my father, and Rare pink....

If you've read this far its probably because you don't agree with me and that's cool.

What if, we do our own CigarPass top 10? Someone (It's always me who gets volunteered) puts up a poll and we select 10 cigars as our "top 10 NC's" (sorry @CigSid) and then buys boxes to be able to send everyone who wants in all 10 sticks with generic bands (Napkin holders) on them. Then we compile the list and see what everyone thinks..... If enough people are interested I can make a new post (Sorry to hijack) and see what we can do.
I love the energy and enthusiasm you bring Chad. I think your idea might be fun... could take a minute, but... what else we going to do while we wait to see John's @jfields next purchase?

I think this would be a lot of fun with some thought behind how we should rank the cigars. Similar to how car and driver does it. Total points = 100. Construction - 30 points. Flavor profile - 40 points. Complexity - 20 points. Esthetics/appearance - 10 points

If we keep it to 5 cigars I even volunteer to put everything together after New Years. Say no more than $15 a cigar will make it a buy in of $75 tops. The total can turn out even less if I find the right candidates but it will be a mix so say one cigar could cost $18 and another $6 making it an average of $12. Also this way no one knows what the cigars are as the pre-poll will make it obvious for some due to vitola. If we get at least 5 people to participate. I will take care of the logistics.

Chad sorry to steal your thunder - let me know if you want to lead it

Last edited:
I think this would be a lot of fun with some thought behind how we should rank the cigars. Similar to how car and driver does it. Total points = 100. Construction - 30 points. Flavor profile - 40 points. Complexity - 20 points. Esthetics/appearance - 10 points
Agree. And it should be cigars you can find easily. Not small batch or exclusive and or LE stuff. Cigars you can find pretty much at any B&M and online.

I think it has been an accepted practice of CA to award rankings based on advertising.

I love the idea of our own taste test. I like @CgarDan Dan's idea too!

Have never agreed with their picks , Padron, should be higher , the le bijou I can see somewhere on the list the rest who cares. I wouldn't go out of my way for Olivia if the price is right maybe I'd pick up 1 or 2.

If we keep it to 5 cigars I even volunteer to put everything together after New Years. Say no more than $15 a cigar will make it a buy in of $75 tops. The total can turn out even less if I find the right candidates but it will be a mix so say one cigar could cost $18 and another $6 making it an average of $12. Also this way no one knows what the cigars are as the pre-poll will make it obvious for some due to vitola. If we get at least 5 people to participate. I will take care of the logistics.

Letting you take the wheel won't hurt my feelings at all. I can help if you want or I can be a spectator. Thanks for taking the wheel. I would be shocked if we couldn't find at least 10 people on here to play.

I'm in.

Letting you take the wheel won't hurt my feelings at all. I can help if you want or I can be a spectator. Thanks for taking the wheel. I would be shocked if we couldn't find at least 10 people on here to play.
Sounds good. I plan to ship this after New Years. So let’s see how many people we get. Also if anyone has further suggestions let’s hear them

1) @CigarStone

Well, just a quick thought after looking at the CA list. Since it is personal and our palate rules, I have tried the Black Market. One try was enought. My palate does not enjoy the RyJ, again, perhaps tried three difference one, no bueno. Since I have not had the Rare Pink I can not comment. Oliva V is a very decent stick, smoking a 135 right now. I prefer the straight V over the Melanio. All of this to say ain't no way the Oliva V is better than the Padron '64, but I have a love affair going on for 10 years. I don't think we will have a problem putting folks together to do our inside test. WTG Daniel @CgarDan .

So... the people that want to join in and list their top 5. Then there is a vote? Or how will the 5 cigars be slotted for the split?

So... the people that want to join in and list their top 5. Then there is a vote? Or how will the 5 cigars be slotted for the split?
It sounds like Dan is going to pick them. If everyone knew the 5, it could be easy to guess based on shape and size.

I am thinking once you smoke each cigar you pm me the score breakdown and any notes that you want. After I have everyone’s result for the same cigar I average the scores and post the final score and any comments for all to see.

Let’s keep this thread going just not to have a million threads. Once we have everyone who wants to sign up say they are in and any further details ironed out here and will post a new thread with all details and a final list of participants

So far we have confirmed

1) @CigarStone
2) @Pugman1943