Cigar / Beer Compliment List

CigarInspector

Hedonist.
Does anyone know of a comprehensive list that pairs Beers with complimentary tasting Cigars? I think it would be fascinating to review and could probably help me enjoy a Good beer and cigar a bit more. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hilliermarcel

I don't have a list but I know a couple good beers that compliment a cigar.
Leinenkugels is my favorite so far. Usually you don't want anything with weird flavored like Redds or Pumpkick otherwise it will change your cigar taste. A heavy malt beer like an IPA is always good. Microbrews are usually the best.

atuck

ANEJORE
Hilliermarcel said:
Leinenkugels is my favorite so far. Usually you don't want anything with weird flavored like Redds or Pumpkick otherwise it will change your cigar taste. A heavy malt beer like an IPA is always good. Microbrews are usually the best.
I think an IPA is one of the best choices there is to go w a cigar. My favorite is Stone.

Blue Dragon

Can't Re-Member
atuck said:

I think an IPA is one of the best choices there is to go w a cigar. My favorite is Stone.

Really? Maybe it's because I'm in the NW, but IPAs are my least favorite to drink with cigars. IPAs are typically very hoppy and often bitter, and I don't find those flavors appealing to go with my cigar. I do like maltier beers; porters, ambers, some IIPAs, some Stouts .. especially bourbon barrel aged stouts/porters/barleywines .. Yum! But my go to is a Scottish Ale. Malty, finishes clean, sometime a hint of smoke .. Yea, I'd have to go with a Scottish Ale. 

jfields

Where did all my money go?
Blue Dragon said:
Really? Maybe it's because I'm in the NW, but IPAs are my least favorite to drink with cigars. IPAs are typically very hoppy and often bitter, and I don't find those flavors appealing to go with my cigar. I do like maltier beers; porters, ambers, some IIPAs, some Stouts .. especially bourbon barrel aged stouts/porters/barleywines .. Yum! But my go to is a Scottish Ale. Malty, finishes clean, sometime a hint of smoke .. Yea, I'd have to go with a Scottish Ale.

Agreed! IPA's and Imperial Reds all tend to have a strong citrus grapefruit type profile. That bitter, strong acidic profile has never complimented a cigar IMO.

I prefer a nice stout on one end. On the other, I enjoy a good Lager, or a nice Golden like Tripel Karmilet, or Tank 7.

rob300c

The Big Noobowski
Russian Imperial Stouts FTW!
Maltier beers do well.

One of these days going to attempt a cider and cigar combo.
In my mind it seems like it would work well.

-Rob

sar127

theBIGindian
I like hefe or light Belgians with mild to med smokes, like a Weinstephaner hefeweizen or a Blanche de Bruxelles.

llwydtp

I have had IPA's and APA's that went well with certain cigars and some that were horrific and seemed to make a spicy cigar unbearably spicy (kind of like drinking ice water right after brushing your teeth). The same goes with the maltier beers, some go great but others can overpower even a medium plus cigar. I like Blue Dragon's comment about Scottish ales as they hadn't come to mind but now when I think about it, most would probably go with a very wide range of cigars.

A few of my specific favorites are:

Rahr Winter Warmer Bourbon Barrel Aged (Fort Worth, TX)
Deep Ellum Double Brown (Dallas, TX)
Cigar City Maduro Brown Ale (Tampa, FL)- how could you go wrong with a name like that