• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar box Guitar and Amplifier

mcavoyd

Thought maybe some of the guys here at CP would like to see a project I just started. I'm in the process of building a cigar box guitar and a cigar box amplifier. It's going to be a Christmas present for my younger brother. I have no musical talent or knowledge about instruments. I saw this on the internet and have done a lot of research but I am still not sure about a few things. If any of you have suggestions let me now. My main concern is if I should stain or just use a lacquer? Hopefully I can have it done by Christmas. Here are a few pics. I will post as I progress.

DSC00646.jpg
[/img]
Cigar box, 1x2-3ft poplar, and AVB's famous Bloody Mary.
DSC00648.jpg

Wood notched out
DSC00647.jpg

Cigar box notched out
DSC00651.jpg

Fits Perfect!
DSC00650.jpg

So far so good.

Nice project, looks like fun. I take it that since you are doing an amplifier that you are going to make this an electric guitar? Looking good so far, keep us updated with the progress!

Nice project, looks like fun. I take it that since you are doing an amplifier that you are going to make this an electric guitar? Looking good so far, keep us updated with the progress!

Yessir! It will be electric. I think I am more excited about the amplifier than the guitar. I'll keep you posted.

Very cool. I'd like it for nothing more than a novelty item, as I have no musical talent either, in the man cave that I will one day have. :rolleyes:

Very cool. I've seen the instructions for making an amplifier from a cracker box. Is this similar?

My only suggestion would be to use a nicer box, but that might a bit snobbish on my part. Nothing wrong with Mayorgas, but a higher end cigar box would be my preference. Then again, maybe it's best to wait until you've worked out the bugs.

Cool project regardless. :thumbs:

Make sure you get the intonation correct if you intend to make it fully functional.

Guitar "intonation" refers to whether strings are sharp, flat, or in tune when fretted at different locations on the neck. A guitar with improperly set intonation may sound in tune when notes or chords are played in the "home positions" at the top of the neck near the headstock, but will sound off when played further up on the neck near the body.

Read more: http://guitar.suite101.com/article.cfm/checking_and_adjusting_guitar_intonation#ixzz0UQWrUVRz

Very cool. I've seen the instructions for making an amplifier from a cracker box. Is this similar?

My only suggestion would be to use a nicer box, but that might a bit snobbish on my part. Nothing wrong with Mayorgas, but a higher end cigar box would be my preference. Then again, maybe it's best to wait until you've worked out the bugs.

Cool project regardless. :thumbs:

I don't disagree with you one bit. But this being my first I did want to work all the bugs out on this one. But you maybe surprised on the outcome even with my crummy box selection. Will see.

Guitar "intonation" refers to whether strings are sharp, flat, or in tune when fretted at different locations on the neck. A guitar with improperly set intonation may sound in tune when notes or chords are played in the "home positions" at the top of the neck near the headstock, but will sound off when played further up on the neck near the body.

Read more: http://guitar.suite101.com/article.cfm/checking_and_adjusting_guitar_intonation#ixzz0UQWrUVRz

Thanks for the great info.

Something else that could be of interest.
http://cigarboxguitars.com/workshops/How_To_Build_A_CBG.php

I'm sure Bo Diddly was a snob when he made his cigar box axe. The box is the least important thing about this project, its the thought, time and effort you put into it that is important.

Great points AVB. Not only that but the whole concept of a cigar box guitar is to build as cheap as possible. Pretty much anything you have on hand. I ordered some tuning pegs, and strings and a piezo transducer today. Should be here by this weekend. I also started looking up some information on adding frets. I may start notching them out tonight.

Here a some updated pics of the CBG project.

DSC00669.jpg

I used 1" drains for the sound holes, and nails for the frets. Cut the nails with Kleins and used a dremel to grind the ends smooth.

DSC00668.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

DSC00670.jpg

I am still working on the cigarbox amplifier and will post when completed. So far I am pretty happy with the results. Will do better on the next one. This was a learning experience but well worth it. Hope my brother enjoys it.

Very cool, very cool! I'm sure your brother will love it. :thumbs:

Finished just in time for Christmas. Here are some pics of the finished products. Sounds great too! :thumbs: :thumbs: Amplifier has a built in Tone expander Potentiometer, 1/4" Input~Headphone/Ect. Cabinet Jack (w/stereo to mono cord), Red LED (power) ~ 9V battery clip~9VDC input. Now I just need to box it up, wrap it up and put underneath Christmas tree.

CigarboxAmpilfier001.jpg
CigarboxAmpilfier002.jpg

CigarboxAmpilfier003.jpg
[/IMG]
CigarboxAmpilfier006.jpg

CigarboxAmpilfier007.jpg
CigarboxAmpilfier008.jpg

CigarboxAmpilfier009.jpg

That's awesome!

You should take some videos playing the guitar.