• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar for a friend

For a first timer, I would recommend something mild but good (not mild but bland), such as the regular line Ashtons or AVOs. For the first six months or so that I was smoking cigars, I thought regular Ashtons were about as good as it gets. I think pretty much any Cuesta Rey would be a good choice as well. When I first started, I also liked NC Upmann, RyJ, and Montes. However, Ashtons and AVOs are much better than these (IMO). As far as size, I would give them a robusto; something with a large ring gauge, so it draws easy and cool, and not too long. A corona will taste stronger and be too easy for them to hot box.

I do not think Short Stories are, for most people, a good first cigar. I've been smoking cigars off and on for 4 years, and regularly for over one (I know, not nearly as long as most of you guys), and I still find them pretty zingy. In the same vein, one of my first few cigars was an AF 858 and I did not like it, I remember thinking it was too stinky and, for lack of a better (or even real) word, cigarry. Now, I love them both.

Now, maybe if you know the person likes strong flavors and aromas (e.g. Islay whisky, very spicy food), it stands to reason he might (I repeat might) like stronger cigars right out of the chute. However, I like those things, and I did not like my first few medium strength cigars (see AF 858 above). Then you could go with something medium, like the NC La Gloria Cubana Wavell mentioned in a post above (I just smoked one of these yesterday, it was damn good), or a Hoyo Dark Sumatra Espresso (I love this smoke, very aromatic).

1st timer?...... Arturo Fuente Short Story or Best Seller. Not a long smoke, definitely not overpowering and TASTY!!!! :thumbs:

Handed one to a buddy at new years. He'd tried a few others and didn't like them, but he loved the short story. Great suggestion.

one of my first cigars was a CAO Gold and Rocky Conn or you can go the deceptive route and start them with a Java
most of the guys i know who dont smoke will try the Java because the way it smells then they are willing to try other stuff and you get them hook on the good stuff

Another vote for CAO Gold. Mild, but flavorful, and not too expensive in case they decide to toss it (or their cookies) after a few puffs. :D

Time to ask him some questions. Spicy food or bland? Cashew or Walnut? three musketeers or Baby ruth? Gin or Whiskey?

Now do you think he wants natural? sungrown? maduro?

After narrowing down his flavor profile then decide on strength. Does he smoke cigarettes? Anything else?

A chance encounter you can just hand someone something, here you have the chance to try and enhance the experience even further.

Then find a quality made stick in your price range.

Figure out all of these, then we'll make some new suggestions.

BTW, I have to disagree with the Helix's right of the bat. (IMHO-They suck)

The sticks the got me into smoking where the La Arura Platinum Prefridos and ISOM R&J #2 Belicoso. Both of these can be way out of the price range you are looking to spend on someone who might not even finish the cigar.

Some better suggestions might be Nording by RP, H. Upmann Corona Brava, AF Curly Head, or Punch Gran Cru Robusto.

Being new to cigars myself, I will say that the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature was the first cigar I really actually smoked, and I enjoyed it. Maybe your friend will like it, too?

A few people mentioned the Short Story, but I don't know how different those are from the Signatures.