• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar lounges

Stinki, that is one great look joint you have there. If I had the means, I would definately frequent a lounge such as yours.

We have a few lounges within a couple of miles of one another. The cost is not high but the hours are limited, they are small, not all sell adult beverages and all are closed at least one day a week.

Our cigar club has been around since 1994. We would meet, basically, once per month at a caterer. We saw the law coming down the road and asked our 100 member base if they would like to invest in a private, members only, club. We raised 50k from 55 members one night in Feb 06. 25 others came onboard as non-stockholders (associate members.) We rented 4200 sq ft in a commercial complex, gutted the place, and built a fantastic club.

Members, now totaling over 150, can come in 24/7. Big screen tv's, poker, pool, darts, dominoes. Plus we have a banquet room for our once per month dinners and the caterer comes to us now.

Cost is 410/yr which includes your locker. Locker is 24" deep and a foot square. We charge a daily charge of 5 bucks every time you come in with a minimum of 20/month and max of 50/month. We sell no tobacco or liquor, only vending soda/snacks. Plus coffee (free) and espresso.

We've been open since June of 06. There's alot more to it but that's it in a nutshell.

Roscoe
The Metropolitan Society, LLC
http://www.metrocigar.com

In New Haven CT is a place called The Owl Shop. I've ventured in there only once. I know that there is no membership. If you can bring your own cigars, or have to buy from them I don't know. But they have a fully stocked bar, good seating, and great hours of operation.

Gerard.

Cost is 410/yr which includes your locker. Locker is 24" deep and a foot square. We charge a daily charge of 5 bucks every time you come in with a minimum of 20/month and max of 50/month.

$410 a year and you still have to pay every time you come in? ??? 24/7 access is nice, though.

Hey? Ya gotta pay the rent every month......

Roscoe

Roscoe,

Is your membership allowed to bring their own alcohol onto the premises? If so, are they limited to the times allowed to sell and serve alcohol within your locality?

A member can bring adult beverages into the club and store them in their locker. They can also consume them anytime they like.

NJ liquor license laws do not effect us. We are a private club and not open to the public.

Roscoe

Thank you for the reply. I glanced at your website and I can say that I would gladly pony up the $$$ to join your club if it were only just 3,000 or so miles closer to me. I wish you continued success with it.

I have been to Stinki's place and it is FAR from stinky! Though not Beverly Hills it certainly feels as if it should be just that. It's a classy establishment with nice lockers, seating and a bar. Lets not forget the shop in front where there is no gouging taking place. If I had the means and I lived closer I would throw down the green for the privilege af being a member. This is not your local B&M with a few chairs and tiny tv in the corner. Some day.........

Looking at the Pics of Stinki's place will justify the price. It is not just a lounge w/ a big tv. Next time i am in Kali i am guna stop by and check it out!

Where are the pics? Or did I miss a link on his website?

Some clubs provide some nice amenities. The Red Cloud in Fullerton Ca. has dart boards, pool tables, nice seating and super chilled beer taps (20 degrees if I remember), good for lager at least. Also every Monday during football they provide free pizza. Thats the pitch I received when I toured. The problem is its too far for me to go to during the week.

I posted some pictures of Azucar/Club Caribe on a thread a while back. My opinion may be a little biased(seeing how I am the Store Manager there...), but I would say that it's the nicest lounge in SoCal... Anyway, here they are...

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...39151&st=20

Thanks for the kind words....

Roscoe

Wow your place looks great...I would totally join if I lived in your neck of the woods.
But put it into the same perspective - say you frequent the lounge, at least 10 times per month (which wouldn't be a huge amount, only 2-3 per week). You'll pay $410 for the membership, $50 * 12 months = total $1,010. It seems that all these nicer lounges just have to charge these kind of prices to get by.

Note: I'm not bad-mouthing the establishment, it looks like an awesome place. I'm just comparing it in the price scale - it's on the same level as other upscale establishments, even though the $410 initial ticket might make it seem like it isn't. :)

The value lies within the individual's own particular needs. Me, I'd love to have a locker that didn't require a minimum purchase requirement. That is a savings in itself. The other big savings is in bringing your own hooch. You can bring far better quality spirits in at a far cheaper price than is found in commercial establishments, and that is even if they have hooch. The final value is in the 24/7 access. Not everyone works "traditional" hours.

I'd gladly sign up for membership into that club. :thumbs:

Within 20 miles of our club you have some establishments that charge several hundred bucks for the locker and they also charge 10-12 bucks a drink. They also close between 10-11pm depending on the day.

18 Miles away in New York City:
At Club Macanudo the locker fee is 700.00
The membership fee at the Havana Club is $5,000 and $300 per month.

We have several members who come in more than 10 times per month. We allow them to pay 11 months and they get the 12th free.

Roscoe

Very good post actin4life

If you are not fortunate to smoke throughout the winter on your deck as I am, the lounge is a wonderful alternative. The amenities you mention are bonuses,
good one's at that.

jlada, if you had that kind of money then you would be one of those rich people and would, IMO, be a member if you had no alternatives.

Brian

Newbie Here. Hello All.

Just time chime in, I guess it has a lot to do with location and local laws. Being in South Florida, we are fortunate enough (outside hurricane season) to smoke outside almost all year round. We have no laws banning smoking in retail cigar stores either. All my stores offer a lounge area made up of leather chairs, flat screen TVs, and a bar area as well. These are offered to the general public. We offer a la cart stuff as well such as private lockers in our state of the art walk in humidors or private liquor lockers behind the bar. In the end, I don't like to segregate and the one think I have noticed over the years is that no matter what the income or social status of a patron was, it didn't seem to matter when we got together to smoke cigars.

In the end, it is about servicing your patrons and giving them what they want. If a lounge can open and attract enough members who enjoy it's specific amenities for 2-3K a year, well then he is obviously providing something that people in that specific area want. If he is way off the mark, then he wont last. Time will tell.

I could be just as happy in the woods sitting on a tree stump with 4 or 5 of my good buddies smoking our favorite cigars and enjoying whatever libations we fancy.

My .02