• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar notes

oke&coke

Shut up baby I know it!
The topic of taking notes was brought up in an intro thread so thought I would put this up and get other people's take on it. What kind of notes does everyone take and how do you set them up. For me, anytime I try a cigar for the first time I paste the band on a 3x5 with my notes on the back (see pics in gallery). I don't do detailed notes just a few thoughts on the cigar with a few relevant details on the specs. I also use my own rating system on the buy status of the cigar that takes taste and price into account.
The rates go as follows:
1: Garbage. Don't smoke again
2: Smoke again if it's free.
3: Will buy again.
4: Keep some on hand.
5: Buy the damn box.

Part of my doing it is not just the notes but also because I like the artwork on some of the cigar bands. Some of the bands are just thin paper but some use good thick foil and go all out with the artwork.

I used to keep some pretty detailed notes, but I guess I just got lazy.  I know what cigars I REALLY like now, what ones I've smoked that I wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers, and many of which ones I've smoked that I did not care for.  I've been saving all my bands, though, because I one day intend to make a home-build Telecaster and plaster them all over the top of it.  I also have the idea to cover the top of our bar in them, too, but I think I'm still short a bunch if I intend to try that.

I still take notes for a review, but for someone new the the sport :) it may help one figure out the kinds of stuff they like. What the hell, create a database and graph types of tobacco to blends you like ... and so on. :p

vortex said:
I still take notes for a review, but for someone new the the sport :) it may help one figure out the kinds of stuff they like. What the hell, create a database and graph types of tobacco to blends you like ... and so on. :p
I'm too lazy to do that much work for a relaxing hobby.  But it does help figure out what you like.  For example when I first started I was going for more mild to medium cigars but quickly learned I prefer full flavored.  I also noticed that I have enjoyed all of the San Andres maduro wrapped cigars to one degree or another so I am looking to try more of those.

I put all the info of the cigar tasting notes in to my computer generated program that scans all the info against the info that I already have in the database against known likely profiles that I have previously enjoyed.  I then take that info and put it into another program that automatically generates a list of five cigars that are in the same flavor profile and price point. I then cross reference this against my cigar database to make sure that I don't already have the said cigar in my humidor. Once I confirm that I don't have the said cigar, I take this info and then choose three from the list.

I then scan the internet for any reviews on the three cigars. From the list I choose only the ones that have been rated 89.7 or higher from CA's most recent issue. From the list I choose one and go searching for a box that has a minimum of 6 years and 7 1/2 months of age. Once I find the box, I then proceed to negotiate a price with the vendor. The vendor must have been in business for a minimum of 11 1/2 years plus without one negative review. I then and only when the vendor sends me a free sample of said cigar and I approve that the profile is indeed what my computer generated program picked will proceed to buy a fiver of the cigars to try only on Wednesdays that fall on a fifth week before I commit to a box.

It's really not too much of a hassle but has worked for me. 

Life's too short for all the trouble. Sit back light it up with a nice drink and enjoy the damn cigar! If it's crap chuck it and grab another one. ;)

Light this! said:
I put all the info of the cigar tasting notes in to my computer generated program that scans all the info against the info that I already have in the database against known likely profiles that I have previously enjoyed.  I then take that info and put it into another program that automatically generates a list of five cigars that are in the same flavor profile and price point. I then cross reference this against my cigar database to make sure that I don't already have the said cigar in my humidor. Once I confirm that I don't have the said cigar, I take this info and then choose three from the list.

I then scan the internet for any reviews on the three cigars. From the list I choose only the ones that have been rated 89.7 or higher from CA's most recent issue. From the list I choose one and go searching for a box that has a minimum of 6 years and 7 1/2 months of age. Once I find the box, I then proceed to negotiate a price with the vendor. The vendor must have been in business for a minimum of 11 1/2 years plus without one negative review. I then and only when the vendor sends me a free sample of said cigar and I approve that the profile is indeed what my computer generated program picked will proceed to buy a fiver of the cigars to try only on Wednesdays that fall on a fifth week before I commit to a box.

Life's too short for all the trouble. Sit back light it up with a nice drink and enjoy the damn cigar! If it's crap chuck it and grab another one. ;)
LMAO. Not exactly sure where I knew you were spewing bullcrap.

I never take notes unless I am going to do a very rare review. I have a pretty good flavor memory, and typically remember the flavors of cigars pretty distinctly.  With me it is very black and white. I either like it enough to buy more, or I don't.

MadMonk said:
I never take notes unless I am going to do a very rare review. I have a pretty good flavor memory, and typically remember the flavors of cigars pretty distinctly.  With me it is very black and white. I either like it enough to buy more, or I don't.

I'm the same way.  I remember the ones I like, and when I think of them, I know how they tasted.  I used to keep notes, and keep a detailed catalog of my inventory.  But now I just smoke them, or not.  I do keep a word file of certain "unbanded" brands  :whistling:  So I don't lose track of what they are, years down the road, for instance.  

Edit:  Oh hey I just realized I quoted MadMonk in the post, and in my sig, from years ago in the old chat room.  Neat.

I bought some of these guys:

http://humidornotes.com/

If it's a new cigar, and I want to record something about it, these give you a place to save the label, time / date / weather / etc.  And, a couple sentences about the stick.  That's usually enough to jog my memory.  Takes less than a minute.

You'd be surprised how seeing the label and reading a couple sentences will trigger your taste memory.....

flamchop said:

I'm the same way.  I remember the ones I like, and when I think of them, I know how they tasted.  I used to keep notes, and keep a detailed catalog of my inventory.  But now I just smoke them, or not.  I do keep a word file of certain "unbanded" brands  :whistling:  So I don't lose track of what they are, years down the road, for instance.  

Edit:  Oh hey I just realized I quoted MadMonk in the post, and in my sig, from years ago in the old chat room.  Neat.

HA! Yes, I see that at times, and get a big smile. And, for the record, I still feel the same way!  :laugh: 

BlindedByScience said:
I bought some of these guys:

http://humidornotes.com/

If it's a new cigar, and I want to record something about it, these give you a place to save the label, time / date / weather / etc.  And, a couple sentences about the stick.  That's usually enough to jog my memory.  Takes less than a minute.

You'd be surprised how seeing the label and reading a couple sentences will trigger your taste memory.....

That's pretty cool. And as a memory aid, a damn good reason to buy. If I was one who had a lot of Cuban Cigars aging, buying specific RE, LE, etc.I can see how keeping something like that, to keep track of yrs, aging, etc., could be fun and be helpful. But true dat, I would think that if I was more adventurous trying new cigars, and since I'm no spring chicken, I'm probably going to need help remembering if I ever tried it, and it did not warrant further purchases. 

I just remembered that many years ago when I branched out from the same few cigars that I had smoked for years, I did do something similar. The bands will double the thickness of the pages, and it can be a nuisance in some cases. Add a rubber band, or buy those journals which have the built in band. LooseLeaf sheets of those pages could be pretty cool too, allowing expansion.

I bought one called Cigar Dossier by Mako publishing in 1996. It has like 300 pages, cost me around 35.00. I just started using it again after 17 years of it collecting dust on the book shelf. It's so amazing to see that 80% of the brands are out of business or the brand changed blends. Most interesting is how my pallet has changed. I use a 50 point system to judge a cigar, I made a chart and what not. I am planning on opening a blog site to post pictures and reviews along with here. Anyways, a journal or Dossier is a great way to keep track of what you have smoked. One word of advice. Smoke @ least 3 of the same cigar if you can so you can give a proper review. Consistently between cigars can vary and you might of just had a bad one but the other 2 are fantastic. Just my 2 cents.

Light this! said:

Damn Kris...you use almost the exact same method I do; however, I require an average CA rating of 90 and the vendor must have been in business for 11.732 years or more.

thechenman said:

Damn Kris...you use almost the exact same method I do; however, I require an average CA rating of 90 and the vendor must have been in business for 11.732 years or more.

Kris taught me this method, but I founded out that it works best if you first sacrifice a chicken and offer it to the gods.