• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Oasis Foam Replacement

jnt412

I'm currently using the Cigar Oasis in my humidor that seems to be working fine. From what I've read on here, it seems that some people have to refilll the cartridge more frequently. In turn, will break down the foam faster and the cartridge or foam will need to be replaced. I'm interested in a more permanent solution. I've heard about people replacing the foam and using beeds instead which is one alternative. I'm thinking another alternative will be replacing the foam with another form of durable foam. The foam thats used in alot of fish tank filtering systems. When cleaning fish tanks, these foam filters hold alot of water. Maybe this could be a alternative solution to making the Cigar Oasis Foam Cartiridge last more than 2-3 years...

Replacement Foam

get the beads...

EDIT: nevermind... I read to fast and didn't notice the "oasis" part of the problem. :(

I've always wondered why the cartridge isn't just an empty reservoir for the water? Is the purpose of the foam just to keep the water from splashing around too much?

I am not familiar with fish tank filter foam, but I do know that many people have cracked open their Cigar Oasis' water reservoir cartridge and replaced its water and foam contents with polymer gel crystals (polyacrylamide), of the type sold by this company: http://www.crystals.us/ (just one vendor among many).

Many people add a spoonful of alcohol (no, not your Friday night hooch) to the moistened gel crystals to help inhibit mold spores. Don't overbuy these. A lil' goes a loooooong way. A lifetime, really.

I've always wondered why the cartridge isn't just an empty reservoir for the water? Is the purpose of the foam just to keep the water from splashing around too much?

I was wondering the same thing. Some sites mention the splashing purpose... but it seems the foam has some absorbing factors as well...

Ebay Link

I am not familiar with fish tank filter foam, but I do know that many people have cracked open their Cigar Oasis' water reservoir cartridge and replaced its water and foam contents with polymer gel crystals (polyacrylamide), of the type sold by this company: http://www.crystals.us/ (just one vendor among many).

Many people add a spoonful of alcohol (no, not your Friday night hooch) to the moistened gel crystals to help inhibit mold spores. Don't overbuy these. A lil' goes a loooooong way. A lifetime, really.

Are they similar to beeds?... oderless?.. how long do they actually last?..

Are they similar to beeds?... oderless?.. how long do they actually last?..

This is what I use in my CO. They work great. You only need about a Tablespoon if you get the small crystals intended for potted plants. I got mine at a local gardening center. They cost about $3 for a small package that has about a cup of crystals. The crystals are completely odorless. They absorb a ton of water. I had a small problem with mold the first time I did the replacement, but I've since added a touch of alcohol and all seems to be well now. These last longer than the foam did in my Oasis. That could be because they hold more water or it could just be the local conditions. I used the rest in some of my wife's potted plants and they do work for that purpose as well. :)

I don't know if I would use the fish filter foam. It looks as though it would dry out rather quickly. It is just a sponge, really. Bacteria love sponges and I imagine mold would too.

If you're concerned about your warranty, don't change anything. It will be voided. The older cartridges are pretty easy to disassemble. I've heard the newer cartridges are a bear to get apart. You may very well break it, others have.

Good luck!

No, they are not similar to beads. Although beads can retain and emit some moisture (humidity), their intended purpose is to regulate humidity. Polymer gel crystals do nothing more than retain and emit moisture. You'll have to continue to use your Cigar Oasis humidity control (the top portion) to direct the exact amount of moisture to release. The crystals just hold A LOT of water, and with the alcohol, are unlikely to ever have a mold issue of their own doing. If I recall correctly, Cigar Oasis' information states you can refill their reservior up to one time before needing to replace the cartridge altogether. I think that is because they suggest the Cigar Oasis' foam filter needs to be replaced to help inhibit mold. I think.

As for how the gel crystals work, they are the kinda stuff you see used in home and garden shows. That watery gel stuff you sometimes see used in place of dirt inside potted plants. LilBastage's post states how they are used when converted for cigar storage use. Be certain to seek out clear and odorless ones. They are sold colored and scented as well.

Anybody know of a link anywhere that shows exactly how to disassemble one of these cartridges and replace the foam with the crystals? I remember seeing one WAAAAAY back in the day on CF, but that thread's long gone by now. If I remember correctly it involved power tools (Dremel), so this may not be for the faint of heart.

Anybody know of a link anywhere that shows exactly how to disassemble one of these cartridges and replace the foam with the crystals? I remember seeing one WAAAAAY back in the day on CF, but that thread's long gone by now. If I remember correctly it involved power tools (Dremel), so this may not be for the faint of heart.

I just ran a putty knife in the seam between the top and the bottom and popped the lid right off. I had an older one, so the newer ones may be harder. It really isn't difficult, the top is just glued on. After you get the top off you take out the foam and put in a Tbs of polymer gel and start hydrating them. It takes a few minutes to hydrate them properly as they take a couple of minutes to really absorb all the water. I mixed a little alcohol in mine, put the lid back on with a little electrical tape and that was that. I really don't think a picture is necessary, it's pretty self-explanatory.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask or PM.

Good luck! :)

Well, LB...I can accurately report that the "new" version of the cartridges is much more "stubborn" than the originals. There was barely a recognizable seam between the lid and the bottom, and it took several minutes with the Dremel cutting head to get it loose. Plastic shards everywhere aside, I did get the thing apart, but it's apparent that they're being made now to PREVENT people from doing just that. My gel is forming in the reservoir now. I'll report back once I have it installed and running.

No, they are not similar to beads. Although beads can retain and emit some moisture (humidity), their intended purpose is to regulate humidity. Polymer gel crystals do nothing more than retain and emit moisture. You'll have to continue to use your Cigar Oasis humidity control (the top portion) to direct the exact amount of moisture to release. The crystals just hold A LOT of water, and with the alcohol, are unlikely to ever have a mold issue of their own doing. If I recall correctly, Cigar Oasis' information states you can refill their reservior up to one time before needing to replace the cartridge altogether. I think that is because they suggest the Cigar Oasis' foam filter needs to be replaced to help inhibit mold. I think.

As for how the gel crystals work, they are the kinda stuff you see used in home and garden shows. That watery gel stuff you sometimes see used in place of dirt inside potted plants. LilBastage's post states how they are used when converted for cigar storage use. Be certain to seek out clear and odorless ones. They are sold colored and scented as well.

You can refill the Cigas Oasis 2-3 times before replacing the cartridge. Nice to know there are alternatives methods to buying another plastic box filled with green foam....

Well, LB...I can accurately report that the "new" version of the cartridges is much more "stubborn" than the originals. There was barely a recognizable seam between the lid and the bottom, and it took several minutes with the Dremel cutting head to get it loose. Plastic shards everywhere aside, I did get the thing apart, but it's apparent that they're being made now to PREVENT people from doing just that. My gel is forming in the reservoir now. I'll report back once I have it installed and running.

I'll be going thru the same thing in a matter of months. Tell us how it went Phlicker when you get a chance...

it's easy to take apart the cartridge. I did it with an exacto knife in a few minutes. Put in beads, superglued it back together, waited a week for the smell to dissipate and it's been working fine with the 65% beads ever since. No muss, no fuss and no smell.

HIGHLY recommended
:thumbs:

As I understand it, one of the more important aspects of the foam in the Oasis units is that they're treated with mold inibitor....

Yes, and that is why you can only refill it a very limited number of times before it requires a cartridge replacement.

I have always wondered what the mold inhibitor is?

I'm about to do this, and was wondering, from the two of you that have ventured here and put up ideas, which do you think works better in the long run, replacing the foam with beads, or the garden gel stuff? Also, when doing the alcohol thing... what kind of alcohol? Like the non-drinkable stuff with really high %, or like... pure everclear? Also, do you do the alcohol each time you refill with water?
Chris

Replaces mine with the floral gel stuff........it has lasted a long time. I periodically (maybe once a month at most) put a cap full of rubbing alcohol in there when I fill it to inhibit any nasty stuff but not every time.