• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar of the Year- 2012

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
The year is coming to an end and "top 10 of-the-year lists" are all the rage, so in the spirit of Gavin's rather enjoyable thread last year, let's discuss the best cigars you smoked in 2012. They don't have to be 2012 releases unless you want that criterion for yourself... I'm more interested in some reflective discussion of what was good. What sticks made you think, "THIS is why I smoke cigars!"

If you feel up to it, post a top 10.

In no particular order, these are some standouts from my last year of smoking:

Quesada Oktoberfest Kaiser Ludwig
Quesada Espana Corona
Liga Privada T52 Toro
Viaje Exclusivo Robusto
Quai d'Orsay Corona Claro

In no particular order.

H. Upmann Mag 50 EL 2012
Tatuaje Mummy
Bolivar Beli Fino 2009
Liga Privada Feral Flying Pig
Liga Privada #9 Robusto
Padron 1926 Maduro #6

From my limited experience (since april lol):

-FFOX Love Affair
-CoRo
-FFP
-LP 9 Toro

I'm going to go with the following:

Liga Privada T52 Robusto
Liga Undercrown Robusto
Padron 1926 Maduro #6
Oliva Master Blends 3 Robusto
Illusione Cuchillos Cubanos ~46~

Things I smoked for the first time this year that I really, really liked . . .

Tatuaje Broadleaf (from the 'book')
Illusione Ultra . . . all sizes, really, but especially the MK
Jose Siejas perfecto
Punch Rare Corojo "champion" . . . great roll for that blend!
Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario . . . smoked my first couple of these this year. Amazing.

And of course, I continue to smoke more San Cristobal Fabulosos than anything else, by at least a 5-to-1 margin.

~Boar

I think I'm leading a too sheltered life.

Liga Privada No.9 Toro

La Flor cabinet maduro #6 torpedo

In no particular order:

Quesada Espana Corona
Illusione Epernay L'Alpiniste
RASS (with two years on it. Best in show for me this year)
Liga Undercrown Corona Viva
EP Carrillo NWC Short Run 2012 Exquisitos

Alright, now that '12 is in the books, here it goes. In no particular order:

La Flor Dominicana Outlaw Custom '08- Aged phenomenally with some spice on the tongue, but ultra smooth; bummed I don't have very many more

Padron Family Reserve Maduro 85 Years- Excellent, clean tobacco core. I was lucky enough to have two this year, and my notes were virtually identical

Padron 2000 Maduro- A year and a half of age elevate them into esteemed company

Fuente Fuente Forbidden X Nacimiento- Totally unique flavor profile, with tastes of complex toasted nuts and black coffee

Illusione ~88~ Maduro- Biggest surprise of the year, excellent with an unexpected fruity twang

Illusione Epernay Le Matin- Rapidly becoming my go-to cigar, especially once they have a couple years of age on them. Interestingly, they pair excellently with Arizona Diet Green Tea.

Illusione MJ12- complex and delicious; I'm thinking I've become a bit of an Illusione whore...

Padilla Miami 8 & 11 Torpedo- Purchased in April '08 when the writing was on the wall that Pepin and Ernesto were parting ways. These are achieving a very creamy consistency now; another classic that I'll soon be out of

Joya de Nicaragua Antaño 1970 Lancero- I've never been a fan of Joyas, but this cigar changed my mind in a big way with big chocolate and espresso flavors and zero harshness.

K.A. Kendall 7-20-4 Dog Walker- A flavor bomb; outstanding in an outstanding vitola. Why don't I smoke more of these?

Great list, Barry. I hadn't smoked a maduro in quite some time but the Illusione maduros were a pleasant surprise, simply a great cigar. I'm jealous of the Pepin made Miamis, that's a real treausre.

Some fine cigars all around gents. I'm going to have to finally pursue some Buena Vistas... you guys have had my curiosity piqued on those for some time now. I'm also seeing a lot of Quesada love on these lists. I picked up a smattering of their cigars in my local's Christmas sale. I'm looking forward to trying some of those.

Great list, Barry. I hadn't smoked a maduro in quite some time but the Illusione maduros were a pleasant surprise, simply a great cigar. I'm jealous of the Pepin made Miamis, that's a real treausre.

Thanks, Clint. I sent one of those 8 & 11s your way in the blind review PIF a while back... I knew that was a cigar you would dig. I'm really hoping Ernesto gets his mojo back with this latest portfolio reboot.

Lots of great cigars listed. But, if I had to smoke one and only one cigar (and could afford it) I'd smoke a Padron 45th anniversary every day. Simple as that......

Oh yeah, I still have that. Gonna have to put an end to it one of these days.

Not in order:

Trinidad Robusto Extra
LFD DL
My Father
Tatuaje Mummy
Padron 26

These 5 made the strongest impressions this year.