• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Pass almost at 800

stogieman

" Herf King "
Can you all believe it or what. One shy of the big 800. I know we've talked about this in the past, but what about the members that post once or twice and we never see them again. Do we keep them as members or do we put them on an inactive list. What are your thoughts on this or am I bringing up an old subject that was dropped for a reason...... :)

Anyway, great job guys and 800 is one helleva membership to get too. :thumbs:

stogieman said:
Can you all believe it or what. One shy of the big 800. I know we've talked about this in the past, but what about the members that post once or twice and we never see them again. Do we keep them as members or do we put them on an inactive list. What are your thoughts on this or am I bringing up an old subject that was dropped for a reason...... :)

Anyway, great job guys and 800 is one helleva membership to get too. :thumbs:
I say boot them...

like brian fellows?

i dunno, id say that if they have less than 50 posts, and have registered pre crash, then boot em.

I don't know - people come and go all the time. For someone to have 50 posts..... that's a pretty active member. If there has to be a cutoff point, I'd say 10-15 posts and registered BEFORE August of this year.

Just my HO

Dave ;)

Hmm, it's says there are 759, not 799... :lookup:

I was thinking of writing a script that will delete a "members" account if he doesn't log in for more than 90 days. What do you think?

hmmm 90 days sounds about right. i dunno. 50 isn't asking that much. but i guess maybe 20 posts. and around august.

i dunno, it's not that hard to reregister...

90 days may be a bit short! There are those guys like "The Worm" & "Muley" that pop in every once and awhile and that may drop them off the map! ???

Rod said:
I was thinking of writing a script that will delete a "members" account if he doesn't log in for more than 90 days. What do you think?
I think that would screw over some Active Duty military members. I do believe Guido is AD overseas. Any given time I deploy they internet satellite slot we use to connect can be turned off. I think it should be something that is looked at by a human and not a script.
Now a script that boots new users who don't post in 90 days would be useful. :thumbs:

Emo

JOE.M. said:
90 days may be a bit short! There are those guys like "The Worm" & "Muley" that pop in every once and awhile and that may drop them off the map! ???
I know Muley is AD Navy. I believe he is away at OCS right now.

Emo

My opinion is keep everyone who signs up as an active member. A perfect example for this policy is djm. He was one of the original members and just started posting again after a long absence. What does it hurt to keep the list active?? I would hope that if some of theoriginal guys decided to come back and post that they would still be members when they return.

Rocco...you out there bruddah??? :)

There are quite a few members with hundreds of posts that we haven't seen in three months, then all of a sudden they may show up again.

Misc comes to mind. He was the 1st person to ever tell me about CigarPass and he used to actively post but his last post was almost three months ago.

I wouldn't want to see him booted and have all his posts deleted.

Once in a while, I look back at old threads from 2001 0r 2002 and I though I was on another site!! Almost all of the active posters were names I didn'te even recognize. Even in early 2003 there were many members who were very active and for some reason, they haven't posted since I've been here (June of 2003)

Personally I wouldn't boot anyone or have any type of minimum log in requirements (90 days, etc.) on membership, what's the harm?

DaveWF said:
I don't know - people come and go all the time. For someone to have 50 posts..... that's a pretty active member. If there has to be a cutoff point, I'd say 10-15 posts and registered BEFORE August of this year.

Just my HO

Dave ;)
I second this one...

blair said:
DaveWF said:

Just my HO

Dave ;)
I second this one...
what you are telling us newbies, is to become total 'post whores', and starting making posts that aren't necessary or meaningful, just to make the 'vets' happy. In my opinion, you shouldn't base this on number of posts. There may be weeks where I check in every day, but don't respond to any threads because I don't feel that I have anything meaningful to add. There are other weeks where I may post several threads in any given day.

I'm a newbie to this board, this example is just what has happened to me on other boards. I don't think people should be deleted just because of a low post count. This would encourage needless meaningless posts that take up bandwidth, and my time sorting through them to get to the good stuff.

just my 0.02

luckyred23 said:
what you are telling us newbies, is to become total 'post whores', and starting making posts that aren't necessary or meaningful, just to make the 'vets' happy.
I desagree...this is definitely NOT what is being said since it would also take into accoutn when they joined.

As for me, I say just leave it alone...just my $0.02

mhn said:
luckyred23 said:
what you are telling us newbies, is to become total 'post whores', and starting making posts that aren't necessary or meaningful, just to make the 'vets' happy.
I desagree...this is definitely NOT what is being said since it would also take into accoutn when they joined.

What I am getting at is people will think something like "I have to have x many posts in a certain amount of time, or they will delete my account". This will lead to many 'post whores'.

i guesh ,but i'm figuring in the time they had on the board, within a good 4 months, i'm sure you could get 50 posts without tryin too hard.

i dunno. i'm hyper at the moment, so you dont have to listen to me.

luckyred23 said:
mhn said:
luckyred23 said:

What I am getting at is people will think something like "I have to have x many posts in a certain amount of time, or they will delete my account". This will lead to many 'post whores'.
When I first joined I saw a lot of box passes that had guidelines of "x number of posts" before one could join the pass. I agree to this to an extent, but again, it leads to 'post whoring' (I know...I hate that word too, but that's what it is). "I really want to be in a box pass, so I need to post a bunch of B.S. to get my post count up". I think to alleviate this, there needs to periodically be a 'Newbie Pass' (hell, I'll even host one if it would help). This can be a low scale, medium level smoke, pass. This can get the newbies familiar with the rules of a pass, and wouldn't be too high risk for the host of the pass. If someone is a cheapskate, it will come out here, and maybe corrected if it was a legitimate mistake.

My whole point of this post is to bring out the fact that this board promotes people posting meaningless posts to threads, when that could be reduced by changing a few things around here. There is a lot of usefull information on this board, but sometimes you have to search through all the b.s. posts to find it...

Lucky makes a good point (pass originators requiring "X" # of posts before you're allowed in) but I've noticed that you don't have to wait too long for a "new guy" pass to get started that bascially has no restrictions on it. For instance Ellman just started one and so did Fast4Dr. Most of the participants in those passes are new as well.

I've also observed that most of the FOG's would rather be involved in the higher end passes and tend to skip these anyway.

There will always be a pass just like you described Lucky starting up at least once a month, but if you want to start one as you mentioned, I'M IN!!!!