• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Pass Questions

coventrycat86 said:
"What's an ISOM?"
"What's a bomb"?

Two famous questions from new people.
Guilty as charged! LOL

jollyco: the emphasis is on the first syllable

stewa70: actually it's quite normal to solicity bombs. lots of people jokingly say "addy in profile" etc.

Finally, about the CLimaxx beads, I disagree. I use low-tox automotive antifreeze with great results and it is WAY cheaper than Climaxx! Yes it is made with PG (the regular stuff is Ethylene Glycol) and it's about $6 for A GALLON! That's just about a lifetime supply. And my humi has been at EXACTLY 70% since I started using it!

I guess that's another part I will volunteer to help with!

BTW my expertise only concerns USPS shipping. I know nothing of the other methods. There is a newbie on here who works for FedEx. He might be able to help

Lumberg said:
Finally, about the CLimaxx beads, I disagree. I use low-tox automotive antifreeze with great results and it is WAY cheaper than Climaxx! Yes it is made with PG (the regular stuff is Ethylene Glycol) and it's about $6 for A GALLON! That's just about a lifetime supply. And my humi has been at EXACTLY 70% since I started using it!

BTW my expertise only concerns USPS shipping. I know nothing of the other methods. There is a newbie on here who works for FedEx. He might be able to help
Emo, I PM'd you about the above post. I'm really wondering what part of the term "Low Toxic Automotive Antifreeze" makes this stuff ok to put in a humidor with the cigars you smoke?
shot.gif

I will concede that PG is used in this stuff but let me show you what else is used. Not sure I'd want corrosion inhibitors associating with any of my cigars.

anfgraph1.jpg

And please do not associate CP with advocating the use of Priority Mail boxes turned inside out as has been suggested in a previous post. This is against the law and below the integrity we should be trying to establish here.

Allofus123 said:
Lumberg said:
Finally, about the CLimaxx beads, I disagree.  I use low-tox automotive antifreeze with great results and it is WAY cheaper than Climaxx!  Yes it is made with PG (the regular stuff is Ethylene Glycol) and it's about $6 for A GALLON!  That's just about a lifetime supply.  And my humi has been at EXACTLY 70% since I started using it!

BTW my expertise only concerns USPS shipping.  I know nothing of the other methods.  There is a newbie on here who works for FedEx.  He might be able to help
Emo, I PM'd you about the above post. I'm really wondering what part of the term "Low Toxic Automotive Antifreeze" makes this stuff ok to put in a humidor with the cigars you smoke?
shot.gif

I will concede that PG is used in this stuff but let me show you what else is used. Not sure I'd want corrosion inhibitors associating with any of my cigars.

anfgraph1.jpg

And please do not associate CP with advocating the use of Priority Mail boxes turned inside out as has been suggested in a previous post. This is against the law and below the integrity we should be trying to establish here.
Hey man how can you say the site should not condone use of Priority mail boxes (not turned out by the way just in an envelope) when it pretty much condones violating the Trading With Enemies Act?

Second of all corrosion inhibitors are not volatile. None of that stuff gets in your cigars. Hell the PG itself does not get in your cigars, the only thing that gets in them is H2O.

Please don't be afraid of innovative things. Just because you are against them don't feel the need to prevent others from trying them. I'm not forcing anyone to do this. Just saying I do and it works for me :)

Lumberg said:
Hey man how can you say the site should not condone use of Priority mail boxes (not turned out by the way just in an envelope) when it pretty much condones violating the Trading With Enemies Act?

Second of all corrosion inhibitors are not volatile. None of that stuff gets in your cigars. Hell the PG itself does not get in your cigars, the only thing that gets in them is H2O.

Please don't be afraid of innovative things. Just because you are against them don't feel the need to prevent others from trying them. I'm not forcing anyone to do this. Just saying I do and it works for me :)
Maybe you need to comprehend what you have read before making a response.

My post specifically said that the site should not advocate the use of Priority Mail boxes turned inside out as you had suggested. Big difference between advocating and condoning. Not sure why you would think putting them in an envelope instead of turning them insideout is somehow different.
confused.gif
Since this is the internet and for the most part, we can all have an opinion, you can continue to do as you please when it comes to this subject. Speaks volumes to me about one's character since this is stealing from everyone that pays taxes. These boxes are given by the PO for one reason, and one reason only. Ask your Post Master about it. I don't care to see this BB lower itself to advocate scamming the PO.

As far as the Low Toxic Automotive Antifreeze...... ROFLMAO! OK, I'll go and put a Low Toxic substance in my humidor. ROFLMAO!
rolleye.gif
I'm not sure you understand the liability you are assuming here. Do you have scientific test's that show this stuff is not harmful to the cigars? Since you can buy Propylene Glycol at Chemistrystore.com for $7.80 qt or $12.95 gallon (a qt is more than most people will ever use) why would anyone want to use a product that is toxic? As I stated earlier, you can continue to do as you please.....more power to you for "trying innovative things".

As far as your remark about me "preventing" people to try something..... WTF? I think everyone here, for the most part, are grown adults. Because I think you are a scam artist for scamming the PO for PM boxes and I think you are nuts for using a toxic product to store your cigars is my opinion and in no way prevents anyone from following your suggestions. If you don't like someone disagreeing with your supposed theories than I would like to suggest you get some thicker skin.
reading.gif

Anything that is in the PG solution could be dissolved in the water, and not knowing the nature of the anti-corrosion or anti-foaming agents, I wouldn't want them in my smokes.

Allofus123 said:
Lumberg said:

Second of all corrosion inhibitors are not volatile.  None of that stuff gets in your cigars.  Hell the PG itself does not get in your cigars, the only thing that gets in them is H2O. 

Please don't be afraid of innovative things.  Just because you are against them don't feel the need to prevent others from trying them.  I'm not forcing anyone to do this.  Just saying I do and it works for me :)
Maybe you need to comprehend what you have read before making a response.

My post specifically said that the site should not advocate the use of Priority Mail boxes turned inside out as you had suggested. Big difference between advocating and condoning. Not sure why you would think putting them in an envelope instead of turning them insideout is somehow different.
confused.gif
Since this is the internet and for the most part, we can all have an opinion, you can continue to do as you please when it comes to this subject. Speaks volumes to me about one's character since this is stealing from everyone that pays taxes. These boxes are given by the PO for one reason, and one reason only. Ask your Post Master about it. I don't care to see this BB lower itself to advocate scamming the PO.

As far as the Low Toxic Automotive Antifreeze...... ROFLMAO! OK, I'll go and put a Low Toxic substance in my humidor. ROFLMAO!
rolleye.gif
I'm not sure you understand the liability you are assuming here. Do you have scientific test's that show this stuff is not harmful to the cigars? Since you can buy Propylene Glycol at Chemistrystore.com for $7.80 qt or $12.95 gallon (a qt is more than most people will ever use) why would anyone want to use a product that is toxic? As I stated earlier, you can continue to do as you please.....more power to you for "trying innovative things".

As far as your remark about me "preventing" people to try something..... WTF? I think everyone here, for the most part, are grown adults. Because I think you are a scam artist for scamming the PO for PM boxes and I think you are nuts for using a toxic product to store your cigars is my opinion and in no way prevents anyone from following your suggestions. If you don't like someone disagreeing with your supposed theories than I would like to suggest you get some thicker skin.
reading.gif
Well just because a FAQ mentions that some people do something doesn't mean that the site advocates it. I'm sure it will be easy to couch the advice in language that does not hold the site liable for the actions of anyone who reads the FAQ.

Lumberg, I would suggest you don't get so defensive when someone disagrees with you. Thick skin might be a good idea....

I also saw your post on CF and it seems that you are making friends fast there too.

You are welcome to try anything you wish, of course! Just don't expect everyone to buy into it on here. We've been around for a while and have our methods of humidification also.

And, please don't send me any cigars..... :D

Lee

Just weighing in here ...

I think a better solution to the priority mail boxes used inside envelopes / turned inside out is to suggest taking ones that have *already been mailed once* ... the postal service has recieved their money for them, and therefore it is LEGAL to do. What are you going to do with the USED boxes anyway? They can't be re-mailed. Open them up, take out the cigars, stuff some more in there, tape it up, toss it in an envelope, and ship it back out.

No harm, no foul, no reason to argue further, right? :)

Leebo8-9-8 said:
And, please don't send me any cigars..... :D
ROFLMAO!
rotlaugh.gif
biggthum.gif

Shuji - I couldn't agree with you more on the reuse of the boxes. In fact, I would encourage it as a way of recycling.

Well, I've heard tales of cats drinking antifreeze because it's sweet and then croaking.

I'm not ready to croak yet!
:D

Dear Mr. Berg,
You may want to consider who it is you are butting heads with. In the immortal words of the Iraqi Minister of Information... "Check Yourself."

NA

I always re-use the boxes, I have sent a number of cigars out in boxes that had been sent to me by another brother. Never could see any reason to fold a new one as long as this one is fine. :thumbs:

Lumberg:
As for Anti Freeze in my Humi. :lookup: No freekin way man. I am in no way an expert on Gars, but I spent many years in the automotive industry and I would not think of putting that anywhere near my gars. Holy cow man

But Most importantly, anytime you have ideas or methods outside the norm...

Expect somebody to say something about it. Everything on this board is open for everybody to read. I for one would hate for a noob to read this and go put anti Freeze in his humi. :0 What Allofus did was to prevent that from happening and maybe even save you from yourself. What LeeBo did was to give you a tip on Skin Thickness, and it is a good tip, trust me.

OK as far as I am concerned the matter is dead. But a couple of you later posters are pretty misguided about the antifreeze.

Leebo: I am talking about low-tox antifreeze. It was developed specifically so that if your pet decided to drink some it would NOT croak.

PuroBrat: I too worked in the automotive industry, as an ASE certified mechanic. That's how I knew about this stuff.

The corrosion inhibitors are salts. They are not volatile. They will not evaporate onto your cigars. If presumably a person or an animal could consume a small quantity of this stuff and not get sick, I seriously doubt that some kind of particles are going to be magically released, permeate your cigars, and make you sick.

I tell you guys what, I'll keep doing what I want to do and you keep doing what you want to do.

Deal?

Lumberg said:
OK as far as I am concerned the matter is dead. But a couple of you later posters are pretty misguided about the antifreeze.

Leebo: I am talking about low-tox antifreeze. It was developed specifically so that if your pet decided to drink some it would NOT croak.

PuroBrat: I too worked in the automotive industry, as an ASE certified mechanic. That's how I knew about this stuff.

The corrosion inhibitors are salts. They are not volatile. They will not evaporate onto your cigars. If presumably a person or an animal could consume a small quantity of this stuff and not get sick, I seriously doubt that some kind of particles are going to be magically released, permeate your cigars, and make you sick.

I tell you guys what, I'll keep doing what I want to do and you keep doing what you want to do.

Deal?
Well low toxic means the level of toxins is lower than (x) amount per million. Non-toxic, as in pure PG, means 0 toxins. Sure, it might not make you sick now, but what about in 5-10 years. Does thae label state not to splash it on your skin, and if you do, to clean it off with plenty of water. ???

Ok guys, here are the questions you have submitted so far:

actually, a good one to do, i think would be to explain the different types of cutters, and their benfits/drawbacks...

I would include more acronyms like FOG and stuff. What's a coolidor, shipping procedures, etc.

well then, i'd put down what a 5 stick blinder is.
apparently, no one knows what that is at cigar aficionado forums

also, what the best way to ship should be, depending on what's going on (pass, trade, bomb, ect)

should we clarify what the term "dog rocket" means

I've seen a lot of people ask for clarification of cheapies/premium/super-ultra-mega-premium-with-aftermarket-intercooler divisions, including how taxes in some states jack this all out of order.

It seems to me that a major FAQ that people keep going back to is what kind of humidifiers and hygrometers to use and where to get them. I think we all agree on Climmax for the humidifier (65% or 70% is another debate) but I'm sure not everyone here knows about Climmax beads and how to get/ use them. Then of course there is the plethera (I like that word) of different digital hygrometers that can make your head hurt. Accuracy and calibration (salt or otherwise) should probably be included.

What's an ISOM?"
"What's a bomb"?

Include some type of cigar pass/trade/bombers etiqutte like "don't ask to be bombed" or better "how to ask for a new cigar" or something to that effect. Maybe even a part on paying it forward and repaying for kindness.

Well I have put together a chat room/forum lingo and a cigar glossary already. I have some more to add to each, but it is pretty comprehensive. There are sections for cutters, lighters, holders, humidors, etc... The salt test will be in there for sure, just haven't had the time. Also, rules of a pass and trading etiquitte will be a pinned post. The look and feel will be somewhat like the forums. Just so you guys know, Rod has done a kick ass job getting the database code up and working. There is a lot of data that has to be read over and hand entered. A lot of the basic info is a collaboration of several different FAQ's. All of it is disected and put into something that will be easily read and not ripping off some one elses work(Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V). So keep the questions and answers coming. Soon the basic entry will be finished and unveiled. :thumbs:

Emo

Kenny...my main man.
My main man Kenny. *pats him on the head*
Uh Oh, 5 minutes to Whopner :)