• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar pass rating experiment Part DEUX REVEAL # 2

CgarDan

This cigar was probably the best value out there from the group
RESULTS

CONSTRUCTIONFLAVORCOMPLEXITYAPPEARANCETOTAL
BLIND RATINGSOUT OF 35OUT OF 50OUT OF 10OUT OF 5OUT OF 100
cabaiguan juan
35​
35​
5​
5​
80​
Le Primauguet
35​
43​
10​
3​
91​
Gavin
35​
42​
7​
5​
89​
JoeMO
35​
46​
8​
5​
94​
CBoukal
30​
42​
8​
5​
85​
wingman1974
20​
22​
2​
2​
46​
modo22
34​
46​
7​
4​
91​
Aalvord2
27​
45​
6​
4​
82​
TexEagle
31​
43​
7​
4​
85​
modo22 Friend
32​
40​
6​
5​
83​
drunkfish3
33​
35​
8​
5​
81​
JArtimez
33​
46​
8​
4​
91​
H. Vachon
35​
38​
4​
5​
82​
Nate1977
25​
37​
6​
3​
71​
Smokemorestressless
35​
46​
7​
5​
93​
Johnny B
32.00​
46.00​
7.00​
5.00​
90.00​
TOTAL
31.69​
40.75​
6.63​
4.31​
83.38​
WITH THE BANDS
CgarDan
27.00​
46.00​
8.00​
5.00​
86​
BurnBerry
35.00​
36.00​
6.00​
5.00​
82​
dawgie34203
32.00​
40.00​
7.00​
4.00​
83​
TOTAL
31.33​
40.67​
7.00​
4.67​
83.67​

Review Notes:
Paired with decaf coffee (hey- it's 9:00 pm). Nose pre light was hints of brisket with a little baby foot funk. Punch cut yielded a little tight so reamed it with Perfec draw tool - picked a booger (picture attached). First light I was gasping for more. Started just below medium but nice cocoa powder chocolate in 1st third. Ok... here we go... 2nd third picking it up after a touch up. Ramping up to a sweet chocolate with some anise on retro. Come on burnline... hold it tofuckingtogether. Get out the oar- it's a conoe. Last third without a happy ending. It just seemed as hectic as a red head that left me wanting a different stick altogether. Sorry- this one was frustrating.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2:41 - 4:26
Not my usual smoke time
Nice looking stick

Plenty of smoke, easy draw, salty, nice retro, solid on all fronts so far, retro”d wrong but got a plethora of spice and notes (don’t recommend), great ash. chocolate/coffee, chocolate, cereal, a big hit of nicotine at the end
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A very nice looking cigar. A lot of rich flavor notes. Dark chocolate, leather. Medium/full bodied. Profile was consistent. Didn’t gain any super powers so I don’t think I smoked any bailing string.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Appearance is pleasant; prelight not much on the foot; after lighting – some spice mixed with sweet baking spices. Even though I made a straight cut the burn line is a bit crooked, but corrected itself by end of 1st third; Upon light also the wrapper got a small crack by the foot but it did not affect anything; Ringe gage is a bit wide for my liking otherwise a very enjoyable cigar; Ash was light gray
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The construction on this one is nice. The seams were fairly evident, but not in a bad way. It also felt a bit more firm than the others. The pre-light draw seemed a little loose, but after lighting it, it tightened up to just where I like it. The ash was a nice color and held on for almost 2 inches before jumping into my trusty Stinky Jr.. It had a little bit of a wavy burn line through the 1st third, but I just let it go and it kind of worked itself out.

This one scared me a little with a full on pepper blast upon lighting. After a few minutes though, it settled down to a better level. Except for the retro. That stayed pretty harsh until I gave it up after a few more tries. I did get just a hint of sweetness part way through, but it didn’t last very long. But it wasn’t just straight pepper that came back. It was just kind of spicy, which is a new one for me.

I thought this had a good complexity. I can’t really pick out all of the individual flavors and changes yet, but I am starting to recognize that there are changes.

I thought this was a good looking cigar. The color was a nice brown tone that was attractive. I did think this one looked a little more “rough” than the the others, but again, not in a bad way. In fact, the look seemed to fit with my opinion of the cigar.

I think this one was a little stronger than what I typically would smoke, but I did enjoy it. Not enough to run out and buy a box, but if I ran across one somewhere, I definitely wouldn’t say no!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

leather, coco, aged taste, pepper, nutmeg, hay, weird after taste
Slight pepper, hay, lot of earth.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Excellent construction. Flavorful retro. Good smoke
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I really liked this one. No bitterness at all. Draw and burn were excellent. Nice medium-full flavor, that was pretty consistent throughout. I'm anxious to find out what this one was, so I can order a box. This was my kind of cigar. It reminds me of one of my "go to" sticks, a My Father La Antiguedad. Hoping it's something I haven't tried previously, so I can further diversify my humidor.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

bigger gauge but a perfect draw! 1st 1/3rd sweet leather, flavorful draws and retro, burn was great, ½ way leather turned to sweet cedar with earthy undertones. Great cigar all the way to the end.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Definitely a larger ring gauge than I’m used to, but cosmetically nice. Flavors are pretty good from the start. A little floral. Smoke production is fine. Ash hangs on like a champ. Pleasant.

Hour 20

Nice triple cap, , barnyard smell that makes me think of a good Cuban farmroll, cold draw honey, barn, twang.
16:36 lit
Medium= tight draw
Honey, hay, barnyard; niiiiice
Tight draw, flavors stay great as long as I keep it slow. I think the tighr draw is from humidity, I didnt drybox before smoking, damnit.
Firm dark ash predictably rolls off to reveal a perfect cone.
Sweetness fades to the back, spices build to the front, clove, allspice, but not overpowering at all. Nice blend.
Perfect draw probe reveals it is overhumidified for my taste, which I'm sure is the tight draw issue. Can't chalk that up to construction.
Very curious who makes this stick.
Flavors staying where they settled, slight variances and nuances. Nice.
Good to the nub.

Will def buy these.

Nice solid cigar. Burned very evenly and consistently. No defects found at all.

This cigar didn’t do much for me. It was a very mild dry smoke. Slightly woody and a touch of white pepper, but otherwise, just plain tobacco

Very simple profile with no changes

Construction and appearance were awesome.

FINAL REVEAL :
Purchase site: Cigar King
Purchase price: $5.50
Cigar: HVC Cerro Robusto
Cigar Aficionado Rating 88 https://www.cigaraficionado.com/ratings/23773/name/hvc-cerro-robusto-robusto

Last edited:
I’ll be damned. I was hell bent on it being a Espinosa. I’ll have to get some of these for sure.

I love their Black Friday and hot cake, but this one ☝️ is a solid one as well

Nice! I know very little (zero) about HVC. Time to pick some up!

This isn't a cigar i've had before this trial. Thanks for this Dan, I may have to grab a couple of these.

got one more rating and updates the numbers. the averages went up a little

Sounds like I’m not the only one shocked by this. This was one of my favorites in the blind test.