• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Recommendations Appreciated ...

MAS_Puros

Me as a wee one with my bottle of Abyss
Its been a while since I have posted anything on here but I am in need of some good recommendations ... I need some of you more experienced BOTL's to recommend a box of something special. Special enough for me to enjoy every year on my baby's birthday! ;) I have 2 daughters and hoping for a boy this time, I need someone on my team so praying for that boy. :whistling: :thumbs: Ultrasound in 2 weeks will let us know ... *crossing fingers*

I don't want anything that could possibly break the bank, hey baby's on the way, but something I wouldn't call an ordinary smoke that I could just smoke for that 1 to 2 hours, like a piece of warm apple pie ;) , and relax before I have to go back to reality. Ugh dirty diapers.

So come one, come all ... throw me some suggestions.

thanks guys!

I had a flying feral pig yesterday, and it is definitely in my top 3. I'd suggest finding a box.

Buena Vistas, they are delicious! $7.50 a stick, box of 10, damn they are delicious!

RASS or HU Mag 46 - both will age well. If you can wait until closer to the holidays, a box of your favorite Anejo vitola. Along the path Coop was going, the Undercrown Corona Viva. Won't kill the bank, perhaps more more available then the FP, should age very well and a consistently good smoke.

I was thinking HU Mag 46/50, also, because of the potential for 10-20 years of aging. Normally I'd say Padrons for baby questions like this, but I they're so ready to smoke now that I don't think they age well in the long term.

If you can find someone who will part with a box of Liga Privada #9, I think that'd be a good option, too. It'd be amazing to see what they do over 20 years. I can't get a box to last 20 days, yet alone 20 years. :)

I like the Undercrown idea, too, although they are more of an "everyday" kinda smoke. I'd get a big fat one versus the Corona Viva (although the viva is my favorite). I just picture a bigger, fatter cigar having more "options" as it ages and develops.

Another idea would be LFD. Maybe the Chisel or even the Airbender Chisel. I think they'd age very well and are great smokes now.

These are all kinda ordinary suggestions. Smoking them just once a year, from the same box, will make the extraordinary, though. Maybe someone else will have a more creative answer. :)

Congratulations on the new (hopefully) baby boy, too! :thumbs:

-John

Same thing I was thinking, what do you like and remember it will mellow with age.

I like the h. Upmann 46 ideas, if you went with padrons get the regular release. They only get better, the few older high end aged padrons I've had have been disappointing.

It appears you like Davidoff...........there you go, a good mild stick, a little pricey though.

RASS or HU Mag 46 - both will age well. If you can wait until closer to the holidays, a box of your favorite Anejo vitola. Along the path Coop was going, the Undercrown Corona Viva. Won't kill the bank, perhaps more more available then the FP, should age very well and a consistently good smoke.
I like the RASS idea, never had a HU Mag 46 but I like that idea as well. I have an Undercrown in my desktop that I may have to enjoy this weekend.

I was thinking HU Mag 46/50, also, because of the potential for 10-20 years of aging. Normally I'd say Padrons for baby questions like this, but I they're so ready to smoke now that I don't think they age well in the long term.

If you can find someone who will part with a box of Liga Privada #9, I think that'd be a good option, too. It'd be amazing to see what they do over 20 years. I can't get a box to last 20 days, yet alone 20 years. :)

I like the Undercrown idea, too, although they are more of an "everyday" kinda smoke. I'd get a big fat one versus the Corona Viva (although the viva is my favorite). I just picture a bigger, fatter cigar having more "options" as it ages and develops.

Another idea would be LFD. Maybe the Chisel or even the Airbender Chisel. I think they'd age very well and are great smokes now.

These are all kinda ordinary suggestions. Smoking them just once a year, from the same box, will make the extraordinary, though. Maybe someone else will have a more creative answer. :)

Congratulations on the new (hopefully) baby boy, too! :thumbs:

-John
Thanks John praying for a boy. I've had the Air Bender Chisel and it was nothing special to me but the LFD Chisel is a nice smoke.

Do you prefer mild, medium or full strength cigars?
I smoke a range of different cigars, depends what I am in the mood for, what I feel like drinking, etc...

Padrons, Davidoffs, Tats, Anejos, Illusiones, (new fav) My Father, Johnny-O's .... I love a nice med-full strength cigar with tons of flavor. Cocoa, coffee, creamy, sweetness, pepin spices are some of the profiles I love.

It appears you like Davidoff...........there you go, a good mild stick, a little pricey though.
I do I do :blush:

Liga P no. 9 robusto for sure.
looking into these too.

When I actually think of what cigars are great with 20+ years on it, I personally usually think of Dominicans and Cubans. Not that something like a Nicaraguan cigar isn't great with a couple decades on it, but I've been thoroughly disappointed by more than a few old Nicaraguan sticks. Personally I think most current production cigars with a Nicaraguan origin are ready to burn right of the truck and being so delicious fresh, they have a limited time in the humidor before they reach their apex and begin to lose flavors, more than develop or refine flavors. I personally can't handle much of the fresh Dominican cigars right off the truck, such as Opus X or LFDs. They are power houses and personally I don't enjoy having my ass handed to me verses enjoying a cigar with solid flavors and not being ill afterwards. But a LFD with 6 years or a decade old Opus X are just pure bliss, smooth, silky, great flavors, no nicotine bombs, just flavorful cigars.

Cuban cigars have the best reputation of any cigars for aging out of all the origins as far as my $0.02 is concerned. I've heard more about old Cubans than any other aged cigar available to date. So that's always a great route to go, possibly put up a ISO for a nice box of CCs when the time comes around (So you don't have to immigrate them yourself or the long wait) and you'll be set. Like stated you don't want to break the bank to get the box, so I wouldn't recommend anything EL or super high priced/fancy. But something like a box of RASS or possibly even a box H. Upmann Half Corona (They need quite a bit more down time from what I've heard) would be something I'd consider.

If you just want to go pick something up at the local B & M or order online, I'd recommend something like a LFD or Opus X/Anejo (They can be pricey, but if you get them from a good source they won't be terrible. They come more to a box than most, so that's another reason for the bigger price tag, but children are more than 18 year experience). If those are a little out of the price range I would also are recommend something more pedestrian like a 858 Sungrown/Rosado. People here are chomping at the bit to get their hands on aged 858 or hell you could even go with a Short Story Maduro or Hemingway Masterpiece, which aren't that difficult to get your hands on and would probably hold up to 25 years without a hitch.

But this is all my $0.02, some may agree, some may disagree. I'm just speaking from personal experience.

My suggestion to you would be to go with a CC for longer term aging. IMHO they have proven to have a better overall track record. My suggestion as far as sticks go while staying affordable would be the H. Upmann Sir Winston, or a Partagas Lusitania or 898V. From my personal experience, all three of these cigars age exceptionally well. In addition, they don't carry whopping price tags either. All come in 25s with the Lusitania available in 50s as well. Personally, to celebrate the birth of my kids, I went with a 50 cab of Lusitanias with a box code that matched the month and year of each of my kids date of birth. I highly enjoy all three of these cigars, but what sold me on the Lusitania was their availability in 50ct cabinets. CCs supposedly age better in cabs than dress boxes, and with 50 cigars, you'll have plenty to share with your kids when they are of age, if they would like to join you for a celebratory cigar on their birthday.

I did the same thing with Mag 46s, in hindsight I wish I had chosen something that I don't smoke so often - Sir Winstons, or something along those lines. Live and learn.

I chose la aurora 100 anos lanceros. But I like everyone else like stem so much I have smoked a ton of them. Lol... Maybe I should have picked a smoke that sucks

OK guys thanks for all the suggestions ... and the verdict is in ...
It's a BOY! Woot Woot :thumbs: :thumbs:

I definately have to get something special now! :thumbs: :D

Congratulations ! and for the recomandations...well I have nothing useful to add ...lol