• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Shop

inflatus

GURPS
has anyone here started their own cigar shop? if so would you be willing to share your experience?

This is something I'm interested in as well. I've got plans to open my own within the next five years, and would really like some insight from anyone with some experience.

PM's are welcome if you've got some in-depth knowledge.

Well, I've never opened one, but I do work in one. My only advice would be to research the laws in the state you plan to open one in. Some states, like California, are making tobacco retailers jump through hoops as well as pay ridiculous taxes in order to maintain a license. You can save yourself some headaches by opening up in a more tobacco retail-friendly state.

Just make sure CP'ers get 20% off! lol

Tennessee isn't too bad. That's where the shop I work in is located. But some states, mostly in the West and Northeast, are making it almost impossible for cigar retailers to do business.

I gotta agree. Out of the hundreds of women & cigar pics I have I don't have a clue whom that may be.

NickDavid said:
inflatus, Great Sig! Where did you find that and who is that
[snapback]151238[/snapback]​

Yeah, I would like to open one up in cali but the taxes are crazy stuped. It would be better to open up a cigar lounge. Bar, comfortable sofas and chairs. Then a walkin humidor maybe. Most people here in Cali that are into cigars that I know buy mostly online so your stock would be small and mostly the popular cigars.
I have one lounge near my home called Havana House. They seem to do well for a small place.

That Russian cigar site is sweet. I found it a few years back.

I mostly go for the chicks though.

I lived in Davis, CA for a couple of years. When I left there was a city ordinance that prohibited smoking anywhere within the city limits with the exception of the inside of your house.

I think I remember a guy writing into Cigar Aficionado with the same story.

I remember it only being an ordinance, so the enforcement may pose a problem. Even with that, the smoking trend in CA is slidding down the toilet.

If you can get a shop started in CA, you are the man!

bfreebern said:
Natalia Gorbey

Miss hecho a mano

[snapback]151258[/snapback]​

Nice Site. but here's my favorite....oh ya.... a hot babe on a bike....

can't get any better than that.

pic17.jpg

Mr Gone said:
Most people here in Cali that are into cigars that I know buy mostly online so your stock would be small and mostly the popular cigars.
[snapback]151361[/snapback]​

I've read that many cigar bars obtain their wares from tobacconist shops, as well as liquor stores that contain the better brands. Because of that, it's not uncommon to pay two or three times as much for a cigar at a cigar bar, as opposed to what you would pay online. I think they are counting on the cigars moving out, as well as a greater profit in alcohol to get by. If a place sees you walking in with two or three cigars, they know you are going to stay awhile and will perhaps have more than a few drinks by the time you're done.

inflatus said:
has anyone here started their own cigar shop? if so would you be willing to share your experience?
[snapback]150232[/snapback]​

PM smokersonly - He opened a shop in MI last May. I haven't seen him around alot lately though, so you may want to try an email as well.

-K-

Treamayne said:
inflatus said:
has anyone here started their own cigar shop?  if so would you be willing to share your experience?
[snapback]150232[/snapback]​

PM smokersonly - He opened a shop in MI last May. I haven't seen him around alot lately though, so you may want to try an email as well.

-K-
[snapback]152794[/snapback]​

Yup he did...I do miss him though. Last I heard is that he was super busy with the shop. I wish good luck to him in the New Year and May'be he'll post a little bit

A friend just opened one here in WV, but most of business is discount cigs, but has a nice humi, he is a cigar/pipe smoker and he has a nice lounge with coffee, tv, and a smoke eater. I am the buyer for my other local store and he is pretty much the same setup.

Hello everyone, Havent been on line in a while...

One rule of thumb, start a shop where the otp tax is low! LOL
Here In Michigan the otp tax is 32% :( sucks but what can you do.

-matt