• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Tips and Tricks you believe really work?

junkman_56 said:
It's all about personal preference.
I take off the cello because they will age a little faster.
But, I do separate my isom's from non-isoms. :whistling:
[snapback]251279[/snapback]​

Sounds good to me! :thumbs:

Wurm said:
And I think Zeebra shouldn't have a big problem, hes mixing med/strong with med/strong.
[snapback]251272[/snapback]​

Here's a link to how my humidor looks:

Link

(Let me know if you think I should be worried based on the types of smokes I have sitting next to each other)

Zeebra said:
Wurm said:
And I think Zeebra shouldn't have a big problem, hes mixing med/strong with med/strong.

Link

(Let me know if you think I should be worried based on the types of smokes I have sitting next to each other)
[snapback]251315[/snapback]​

Aside from the fact you have more CAOs than any other type of cigar you should be alright. ;)

It's important to get that cut just right. I have made a cut too far down and the wrapper started coming apart. I also didnt cut a couple far enough down and they didnt smoke right. You need to get it right on the should or whatever that curved part of the head is called. Sometimes if I am having trouble with the burn or taste of a cigar I will recut it. This seems to help. Anybody else do this?

mrjinglesusa said:
Zeebra said:
Wurm said:

Link

Aside from the fact you have more CAOs than any other type of cigar you should be alright. ;)
[snapback]251320[/snapback]​

There's gotta be a time factor involved too. If marrying does occur, how long must the stogies sit to one another. I rarely keep my sticks for more than several months before they go up in smoke. Never noticed adverse effects. If the time factor extends into years, then I might start paying attention.

mrjinglesusa said:
Zeebra said:
Wurm said:

Link

[snapback]251320[/snapback]​

Way to diss CAO! They've gotten great reviews in CA so I wanted to give them a shot..just ordered a sampler that's why I have one of each.

I'll have more Cohibas coming in Dec when my friend gets back from Cuba...

One thing that was reminded to me this week...

If your gonna smoke Havanas, lay them down for 3-5 years before you touch them... again, just my opinion and preference.

This is something that comes up every now and then and I've never replied to them. "How to revive a dry cigar?" I read somewhere online as I was Google-ing info before finding CP.

Take a clean (unused) sponge and wet it with distilled water (squeeze out water). Put the dry cigars in a large ziplock bag with the sponge (not touching the cigar) and fill it with air...seal it for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes open the bag and prop the it open about 1 inch. Leave it like that and check every 1/2 hour until the cigar has begun to show signs of rehydration. After about a day or so, put the cigar in your humidor until the center of the cigar absorbs the moisture from the wrapper and it equilibrates with the humidity of your humidor (about 4-6 weeks). Light it and enjoy.

I've done it and it's effective if you pay attention to it...if you forget to open the bag the cigar will explode. Boom!!!

-Fetter

I do not think you have to worry about cigars touching unless you plan on leaving them that way for an extended period of time (6 months or more). The exception to this would be flavored cigars. I would NEVER allow a flavored cigar to touch another yet alone be in the same humidor.

Taking the cello off will allow them to age faster and humidify better, however, from what I have been told the cello is actually porous and will allow moisture to get in to the cigar. Common sense tells you that this will naturally happen faster without the cello.

To answer Marc’s questions about the lighter, cigarette lighters contain a chemical lighter fluid in them which can adversely affect the taste of a cigar. Matches in my opinion are not a good idea either because of the sulfur. This may not be a problem and many people recommend them but I just stay away from them. Torch lighters use refined butane which will have no negative affect on the taste of your cigar.

I would also like to add that in the event you get some cigars from abroad and they are in transit for a while, that you keep a very close eye on the humidity until they stabilize once they are in your humidor. Humidors are like salt water fish tanks… the smaller they are, the faster their conditions can decline due to less air volume and small humidification devices. A larger humidor such as the one in your local B&M will not change very much or very fast due to the size of it and the humidity control that they use. The plus side to this is how fast you can turn around the conditions on a smaller humidor. If the humidity is low, you can bring it back up very quickly because it has a smaller area to humidify. Think if this example as a cup of water next to a swimming pool out in the sun. The water in the cup will heat up much much faster because there is less to warm.

Well there are my thoughts and opinions. Some are backed by research and experience and some are what I have read from various website. I know this is kind of long, but hopefully some will get use of it. :)

This has been a very informative thread. Thanks guys.

I would also add the following:

1) Be aware that what you drink or eat while smoking can sometimes drastically alter your perception of the cigar's characteristics. For example, rich sweet drinks will make the cigar taste thinner and accentuate the acidity and tang.

2) rotate the cigar while smoking to help even out the burn line. This is especially easy with box-pressed smokes where you have 4 easy points of reference.

3) To fully experience what a cigar has to offer, try a) puffing a bit out through your nose and/or 2) draw lightly and at longer intervals as well as draw harder or double draw to see how the characteristics change under different situations.

4) Rest cigars received from overseas at least two weeks. More if you can bear it.

This is a nice thread BTW.

Wilkey

Rod said:
Never cut a cigar in half, it will alter the true flavor of the cigar. :D Instead, smoke what you can...

If you're mixing substantially different types of cigars in a humidor, leave the cello on.

If you plan on letting your cigar sit for any period of time, blow out all the smoke and let it go out naturally.

Never stub out a cigar, always let it go out naturally. Stubbing it will create a foul aroma.

Don't cut anymore than necessary when cutting the head off your cigar. Cut as little as possible.

Never use a cigarette lighter to light your cigar. Use long wooden matches or a good torch lighter.

Rotate your cigar as you smoke it, in order to create a good even burn.

There's a few...
[snapback]251180[/snapback]​

Did you guys know that Rod smoked cigars? :p

Ok from what i understand, Flavored as said should never be in the same humidor because they contain stronger oils which can and will sweat and alter the other smokes around it, now if you have a good humidor your normal smokes after
year(s) will sweat also, i personally tend not to mix maduro with natural, and almost always leave the celo on, after all its one of the key indicators, nothing like some cool looking yellow celo :thumbs: .

Cigar Punches Vs Cutters, Personal Preference IMO, cigars are hand made, being that there not perfect by any mean, cigars with historically bad draw's tend to smoke a little better when a punch is used because when you cut there’s that brief period of pressed on the cigar is self, this is from what I’ve experienced causes some problems, but a small punch hole can make a difference.

However i do have a question, I've never actually taken the time to find the answer myself and it sounds dumb to me but i've herd it so much i have to ask, Freezing cigars, dose this actually work?

Mrepp... this is a personal choice. The only reason you would want to freeze them is strictly to prevent beetles. Some people do this and some do not. Be warned though, many people that I have spoken to on this subject think that freezing cigars changes the characteristics of them cigar as well. But I guess that may be better than holes in your cigar. :p

smoke as many different cigars as you can, take your time. and when you decide its time for a new humidor buy one that looks about 4-5x too big