• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Value?

MaxNoodle

I am that which is.
I just want to be fair when I put a price on a stick I have when doing a sale/trade/pass etc...

I have seen some posts as of late accusing others of gouging and I was also involved in one myself, and admittedly I was the one who sent the wrong info but it was rectified.

But this leads me to a question for the FOGs here at CP.

Just so I'm not doing anything wrong I want to know...

Say I find a good deal at "my" B&M or an online retailer and I get a box of "whatever" for 1/2 off; let’s say I paid $100 for a box of 20, when the original price is $200 for a box of 20. What is the value of each stick?

What I paid?
What the actual MSRP is?
What I find on cigarcyclopedia.com?

Thanks for the clarification!

~ t

The value is what the MSRP is but there might be added value placed on it because of it's age/ rarity. Someone else may have more to add but this is what I have gathered in my short time here...

Keeping it simple - minus any aging, HTF issues etc and just so if I understand what you're saying, if I buy a $20 cigar for $10 at a sale or something, its value is $20 (MSRP) as far as trade/sell/pass?

I personally would think a brother would use the price that he paid for it, which was the mixup in my case as mentioned in the previous post. I used the value of the stick as opposed to what I payed for it and "I" think that is wrong. But is it?

Anyones thoughts...

Thanks Lurch!

~ t

The value is what the MSRP is but there might be added value placed on it because of it's age/ rarity. Someone else may have more to add but this is what I have gathered in my short time here...

I sell for what I paid. Selling for anymore than what you paid would be profiting. Passing along the savings to your brothers is cool, too... :whistling:

Derek

char·ac·ter

Pronunciation: \ˈker-ik-tər, ˈka-rik-\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English caracter, from Latin character mark, distinctive quality, from Greek charaktēr, from charassein to scratch, engrave; perhaps akin to
Lithuanian žerti to scratch

Date: 14th century

1 a: a conventionalized graphic device placed on an object as an indication of ownership, origin, or relationship b: a graphic symbol (as a hieroglyph or alphabet letter) used in writing or printing c: a magical or astrological emblem d: alphabet e (1): writing , printing (2): style of writing or printing (3): cipher f: a symbol (as a letter or number) that represents information ; also : a representation of such a character that may be accepted by a computer

2 a: one of the attributes or features that make up and distinguish an individual b (1): a feature used to separate distinguishable things into categories ; also : a group or kind so separated <advertising of a very primitive character> (2): the detectable expression of the action of a gene or group of genes (3): the aggregate of distinctive qualities characteristic of a breed, strain, or type <a wine of great character> c: the complex of mental and ethical traits marking and often individualizing a person, group, or nation <the character of the American people> d: main or essential nature especially as strongly marked and serving to distinguish <excess sewage gradually changed the character of the lake>

3: position , capacity <his character as a town official>

4: reference 4b

5: reputation <the scandal has damaged his character and image>

6: moral excellence and firmness <a man of sound character>

7 a: a person marked by notable or conspicuous traits <quite a character> b: one of the persons of a drama or novel c: the personality or part which an actor recreates <an actress who can create a character convincingly> d: characterization especially in drama or fiction e: person , individual <a suspicious character>

8: a short literary sketch of the qualities of a social type
synonyms see disposition, quality, type

— char·ac·ter·less \-ləs\ adjective
— in character : in accord with a person's usual qualities or traits <behaving in character>
— out of character : not in accord with a person's usual qualities or traits <his rudeness was completely out of character>

------------------------------------

Sell and trade for what you buy...try to NOT buy for over MSRP.

Selling for gain is not the question at hand. No one should ever sell for more than MSRP, that is understood. But are you gaining if you sell/trade/pass for MSRP if you got a good deal? Or are you doing just as you said, passing along the savings? Is either wrong?

I just want this to be as clear as possible. Is the bottom line sell/trade/pass for MSRP period?

I sell for what I paid. Selling for anymore than what you paid would be profiting. Passing along the savings to your brothers is cool, too... :whistling:

Derek

For the purposes of selling sticks on the B/S/T forum, what you paid is the right answer. Some may accuse you of gouging if you are above MSRP or above a price they saw at another e-tailer, and I would politely correct them and let them know that you're selling at the price you paid.

If it were discovered that someone were purchasing sticks at a discount, and then selling them at market value, many others in the community would be righteously upset. As a community, we make a distinction between profiting off other members in the B/S/T, which is a cardinal sin, and profiting off members as a proper business.

StinkiMonki finds himself in the position of both owning a cigar lounge and having a nice collection of his own. Obviously, when Azucar Cigar Lounge is selling sticks, the business is making a profit on those sticks. When StinkiMonki sells sticks from his private collection, he does so without the intent to make a profit. He makes this distinction by posting Azucar sales in the Retailer Forum, and posting his personal sales in the B/S/T forum so that people know what to expect.

Since you're not a cigar retailer, post your sales at the price you paid.

Clearly stated. Thanks! What I paid as long as its below MSRP. Pass the savings! Sounds good!

~ t

For the purposes of selling sticks on the B/S/T forum, what you paid is the right answer. Some may accuse you of gouging if you are above MSRP or above a price they saw at another e-tailer, and I would politely correct them and let them know that you're selling at the price you paid.

If it were discovered that someone were purchasing sticks at a discount, and then selling them at market value, many others in the community would be righteously upset. As a community, we make a distinction between profiting off other members in the B/S/T, which is a cardinal sin, and profiting off members as a proper business.

StinkiMonki finds himself in the position of both owning a cigar lounge and having a nice collection of his own. Obviously, when Azucar Cigar Lounge is selling sticks, the business is making a profit on those sticks. When StinkiMonki sells sticks from his private collection, he does so without the intent to make a profit. He makes this distinction by posting Azucar sales in the Retailer Forum, and posting his personal sales in the B/S/T forum so that people know what to expect.

Selling for gain is not the question at hand. No one should ever sell for more than MSRP, that is understood. But are you gaining if you sell/trade/pass for MSRP if you got a good deal? Or are you doing just as you said, passing along the savings? Is either wrong?

I just want this to be as clear as possible. Is the bottom line sell/trade/pass for MSRP period?

Derek

What are you trying to accomplish?

(also - this has been discussed...and 'if you have to ask?!')

;)

I don't think it should be looked at in a sense of whether or not you're "gaining" and here's why. In a sale, if you sell for what you paid, there should not be any issues. If a questionable situation arises, clearly state your reasons for the price and let the buyer take it or leave it. As long as there is honesty, there should be no concern. On a pass, the pass will state takes/puts are to be based on msrp/msrp, rarity/rarity, etc... On trades, if you did get it for alot cheaper this sort of topic should be brought to the attention of the other trader. Who knows, maybe they got a similar deal on his cigars and would make the trade even in a sense of value and cost. Hope that makes sense or maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.

Nope - you nailed it! This is why I ask questions...you guys know the answers!

Thanks!

~ t

I don't think it should be looked at in a sense of whether or not you're "gaining" and here's why. In a sale, if you sell for what you paid, there should not be any issues. If a questionable situation arises, clearly state your reasons for the price and let the buyer take it or leave it. As long as there is honesty, there should be no concern. On a pass, the pass will state takes/puts are to be based on msrp/msrp, rarity/rarity, etc... On trades, if you did get it for alot cheaper this sort of topic should be brought to the attention of the other trader. Who knows, maybe they got a similar deal on his cigars and would make the trade even in a sense of value and cost. Hope that makes sense or maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.

This was exactly what I was thinking. If you're a retailer and have a business, it's understood you HAVE to make a profit. That is, when you're dealing as a business. I don't speak for everyone but when you're on the b/s/t forum you're not a business and shouldn't have that mindset.

What people are trying to say is everyone here tries to help each other out. They do not like making money on each other. Sell at what you paid for them and everyone is happy.

Now value is another story. I know people that have box(es) of cuban davidoffs that are insured for more then they paid for because of how hard they are to find. So for your self the value of a cigar can be anything. For example a AF OpusX BBMF is valued between 45 and 125 depending who you ask, but it should be sold at whatever someone buys it at.

Ed

What I paid as long as its below MSRP.

For sales, what you paid is right, regardless of MSRP. No one should be profiting, but no one should be forced to take a loss, either. Just don't expect a quick (or any) sale if you paid over MSRP first. :thumbs:

Trades and passes are a little different where MSRP-comparison is more the rule. If you stupidly pay $30 for an Opus, don't expect to trade that for a cigar that's really worth that much MSRP. :)

---John Holmes...

The bottom line here is that Cigar Pass is not a place to sell cigars! There is a B/S/T sub section, but it is not the reason to be here and you'll see very few people actively selling cigars, they are usually chased out quickly.

If your sole motivation is to sell and trade there are other cigar forums that encourage that. The four month rule usually works around here but there are exceptions.

What people are trying to say is everyone here tries to help each other out. They do not like making money on each other. Sell at what you paid for them and everyone is happy.

Now value is another story. I know people that have box(es) of cuban davidoffs that are insured for more then they paid for because of how hard they are to find. So for your self the value of a cigar can be anything. For example a AF OpusX BBMF is valued between 45 and 125 depending who you ask, but it should be sold at whatever someone buys it at.

Ed

Do they have fire insurance??? :D

But seriously. Why would one want to sell sticks they bought at a discount to brothers on this board at a higher price? The whole point of this community is looking out for each other and helping each other out. If making a profit is ones motivation either they should open a B&M or go elsewhere!

No gouging or profiteering here, Herman :sign: :sign: :sign: