• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Value?

The bottom line here is that Cigar Pass is not a place to sell cigars! There is a B/S/T sub section, but it is not the reason to be here and you'll see very few people actively selling cigars, they are usually chased out quickly.

If your sole motivation is to sell and trade there are other cigar forums that encourage that. The four month rule usually works around here but there are exceptions.

Anthony speaks the gospel.

This is a board of friends, so treat it as such. The way I see it, if I see a good deal on something, I'll call my buddy, tell him about it, and see if he/she wants me to pick it up for him/her. I don't pick something up and then sell it to a friend for the full price. I don't make money off my friends. Question then is whether you consider the people here on CP as friends or not.

What people are trying to say is everyone here tries to help each other out. They do not like making money on each other. Sell at what you paid for them and everyone is happy.

Now value is another story. I know people that have box(es) of cuban davidoffs that are insured for more then they paid for because of how hard they are to find. So for your self the value of a cigar can be anything. For example a AF OpusX BBMF is valued between 45 and 125 depending who you ask, but it should be sold at whatever someone buys it at.

Ed

Do they have fire insurance??? :D

But seriously. Why would one want to sell sticks they bought at a discount to brothers on this board at a higher price? The whole point of this community is looking out for each other and helping each other out. If making a profit is ones motivation either they should open a B&M or go elsewhere!

That reminds me of the story of the man who claimed insurance for his expensive cigars. He had fire insurance and he took the insurance company to court after smoking the cigars. Court ruled in his favor since he indeed had fire insurance. The next day he was arrested for arson. Don't think it is a real story though.

But he has full coverage, if his house burns down it is insured for fire damage.

Ed

What people are trying to say is everyone here tries to help each other out. They do not like making money on each other. Sell at what you paid for them and everyone is happy.

Now value is another story. I know people that have box(es) of cuban davidoffs that are insured for more then they paid for because of how hard they are to find. So for your self the value of a cigar can be anything. For example a AF OpusX BBMF is valued between 45 and 125 depending who you ask, but it should be sold at whatever someone buys it at.

Ed

Do they have fire insurance??? :D

But seriously. Why would one want to sell sticks they bought at a discount to brothers on this board at a higher price? The whole point of this community is looking out for each other and helping each other out. If making a profit is ones motivation either they should open a B&M or go elsewhere!

That reminds me of the story of the man who claimed insurance for his expensive cigars. He had fire insurance and he took the insurance company to court after smoking the cigars. Court ruled in his favor since he indeed had fire insurance. The next day he was arrested for arson. Don't think it is a real story though.

But he has full coverage, if his house burns down it is insured for fire damage.

Ed

That story is why I asked. Yeah, I don't think it's a real story either.

What I paid as long as its below MSRP.

For sales, what you paid is right, regardless of MSRP. No one should be profiting, but no one should be forced to take a loss, either. Just don't expect a quick (or any) sale if you paid over MSRP first. :thumbs:

Trades and passes are a little different where MSRP-comparison is more the rule. If you stupidly pay $30 for an Opus, don't expect to trade that for a cigar that's really worth that much MSRP. :)

---John Holmes...

^^ What he said.

There is a difference between "value" and "cost".

If you sell a cigar, you should sell for "cost" -- even if that cost is higher or lower than MSRP. A trade , especially in a pass, should be made for the cigar's "value".

The bottom line here is that Cigar Pass is not a place to sell cigars! There is a B/S/T sub section, but it is not the reason to be here and you'll see very few people actively selling cigars, they are usually chased out quickly.

If your sole motivation is to sell and trade there are other cigar forums that encourage that. The four month rule usually works around here but there are exceptions.

Anthony speaks the gospel.

This is a board of friends, so treat it as such. The way I see it, if I see a good deal on something, I'll call my buddy, tell him about it, and see if he/she wants me to pick it up for him/her. I don't pick something up and then sell it to a friend for the full price. I don't make money off my friends. Question then is whether you consider the people here on CP as friends or not.

More than friends. We call each other brothers of the leaf.. BROTHERS... We don't profit from family... That's one of the best features about CP over other boards. I would love to see the integrity remain.
smiley_trophy_1st.gif

I sell for what I paid. Selling for anymore than what you paid would be profiting. Passing along the savings to your brothers is cool, too... :whistling:

Derek

I would abide by this rule if I were selling anything

Unless they are pretty high end sticks I get more satisfaction just giving them away. If they are pretty pricey and I still want to get rid of them...I still would probably give many away for free or sell them way below what I paid. Ultimately, your kindness will be returned and your the diversity of smoking experience will increase.