• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigarpass Book Thread

Based on how much you read I doubt any of these will be new to you.
- Just started "The Naturalist." Great character in Dr. Theo Cray
- The "Atlantis Gene" was a good series.
- Pike Logan...kind of a cross between Mitch Rapp and Jack Reacher
- Nathan McBride
- Will Robie
- Oliver Stone
- The Silo series was good if you like a post-apocalyptic storyline.

They’re all entertaining but if I had to; Nelson DeMille’s Plumb Island. John Cory is the wise ass NY Detective forced to work with the “sticks up their butt” FBI. I think there were six book in the run. Or, right up there is Kyle Mills Phinox Rising. Another wise ass but this time an FBI agent. He needs to find out who poisoned the cocain supply but has sort of a moral dilemma doing so.

Nothing like a good book with a cigar.

DeMille is my all-time favorite author. I've read everything he's ever published (though some of the short stories honestly sucked -- some didn't, though), and have referred the John Cory series to several people who have thanked me for turning them on to the author. If you haven't read the rest of his catalogue, some of his standalones are incredible, too, like "By The Rivers of Babylon" and "The Charm School". I've read BTROB at least four times. "Mayday" is a book I've also read several times, though I believe he just revised it for Ken Block, rather than serve as the primary author.

I like Mills's work with Mitch Rapp after Vince Flynn's passing, so I may look into more of his work next. Thanks!

Also, I finished "The Mechanic", as well as "Punishment", by Scott J. Holliday. I got that one as an Amazon/Kindle First offering for January. I usually can't bring myself to even finish most First books because they are so poorly written, but I spent a few hours with this one yesterday and knocked it out in pretty much one sitting. It had me from the beginning, and was really, really good. It's a slight sci-fi take on the typical "damaged cop/serial killer" trope, but one of the most original stories I've read in a while. If you can get it for free or even for a few bucks, I highly recommend it if you like detective thrillers.

Last edited:
I mentioned to a friend of mine how much I enjoyed Everest by Alfred Lansing and he turned me on to Into Thin Air By Jon Krakauer. Almost done with it and they are great Winter Reads and are Highly recommended.

I read Into Thin Air about 20 years ago, but still remember how good it was. I like Jon Krakauer writing. He had a follow up book about Mormon plural marriage that I could not get into. I think it was because I wanted another book that held me like the Everest stories did.

I've been reading some Ann Burton books recently. Very reminiscent of Connelly's writing style and characters. Her latest was offered for free on Kindle this month, so with nothing better on my plate I gave it a shot. It was a standalone, and kept me hooked. I decided to check out her "Forgotten Files" series, and am on the third book in the series now (best part is they are all free with Kindle Unlimited). Very good stories and characters. Well written, and one thing I like is that what you see is (mostly) what you get. It isn't a total giveaway, but these aren't the "where did that come from" twist endings like Connelly uses a lot. She lets know who the bad guy is at least halfway through the story, and then there are other interesting details at the end.

Another cool thing in the series, is that each book is a veritable origin story of the main character who you meet as supporting characters in other books. It's alluded that there is a mysterious, intriguing background to the players, but it's not heavily talked about in other character-centric books. You get the whole story unfolded when they have their own book/plot.

Only two real complaints:

1) Too much sex. Be it an encounter, a flashback, or a fantasy, she goes full-Cinemax a bit too often.

2) You could make a drinking game out of how many times she uses some variation of "moist".

About halfway through the new Red Rising Book and I’m a little disappointed. It’s fine, hits the right notes for the most part, but it’s lacking the mystery that made the first book in the first set of three so good.

Been reading Jeffrey Deaver's "Lincoln Rhyme" series. I think I'm on the 7th one -- just finished "The Twelfth Card", for those that may have read them. Pretty good characters and stories, if a bit much in the deus ex machina moments. I didn't particularly care for this most recent (I couldn't get past a skinny, bald, white guy with a goatee trying to write/speak Ebonics in The Twelfth Card), but overall I like the series enough to continue. Favorites right now are "The Empty Chair", and "The Vanished Man".

I also read "King's Reign" by Bradley Wright somewhere in there last week. It is the latest in this Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt-esque adventure series. Nothing profound, but quick and fun reading.

Decided I needed a break from serious stuff for a while and decided to do some "light" reading. Borrowed the CJ Box series about game warden Joe Pickett. Pretty entertaining for what they are. If you're into the outdoors at all you'd enjoy these when you just need a mental break.

Just finished Walter Isaacson's Leonardo Da Vinci this week. Thorough and well written biography, but I can do without the motivational tidbits peppered into a few chapters.

Looking for something quick and easy to read. I picked up Enemy of the State, the newish Vince Flynn / Kyle Mills book. I love me some Mitch Rapp. While he is not Vince he is a pretty good author and is, imho, worthy to carry the torch.

I enjoyed Patriots by James Wesley Rawles a couple years ago and have recommended it quite a few times.

Looking for something quick and easy to read. I picked up Enemy of the State, the newish Vince Flynn / Kyle Mills book. I love me some Mitch Rapp. While he is not Vince he is a pretty good author and is, imho, worthy to carry the torch.

My take on it, as well.

I'm almost halfway through the 1492 page unedited version of The Count of Montecristo by Alexandra Dumas. If you have only seen the movie or read the edited version years ago, I highly recommend it. Fun, well written, and quite historical.

Read Patriots years ago. Hope it doesn't come to pass...

Me too! The sad thing is, I could see it happening though.

When I watched the movie Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit; I pictured that this book would represent the aftermath in an alternate ending version.

Currently reading The Code Book by Simon Singh. It was written in 1999, and provides an semi in-depth timeline of cryptography and cryptanalysis throughout history. It's well-written, and will likely be a quick fun read for me. Now I'm wondering why I didn't pick this up sooner.

I'm just finishing a non-fiction reference book called The Oxygen Advantage by Patrick McKeown. It's a great resource and tool for the athletes I work with, and can be for everyday people as well, to reduce their physical and mental stress levels and help the body remain in a parasympathetic state where it wants to be!

http://oxygenadvantage.com/