• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars based on mood (weird I know)

Kxthor911

So I am somewhat hesitant to post this, I know threads can sometimes gain their own momentum or manage to go other ways that are not intended but these kinda things just happen sometimes so no big deal. 

My grandpa was having a hard time and spending some time in the hospital in Beaumont, TX so I drive over and visit and what not. Well a good buddy who I smoke cigars with lives about five minutes from the hospital. With all of my other family members there in there and my grandpa just leaving to go into surgery I decided to go to my buddies house and have a stick to try and take my mind off of things for an hour to two. Well what I discovered was a stick I think I would normally like did not taste as good. So my question to you all is this, does your smoking experience depend on your mood ever?

PS - grandpa came out of surgery well and is recuperating as I type this. I had to come home to attend to other things but if he is still there this weekend I will be going back to visit.

Mood certainly affects the experience. Even a crap cigar with the right people after a stressful mission will taste like magic. 

Yes....

Cigars are not always the same.... I've smoked some dog rockets..and had them taste good based on.

It's never the same cigar twice, and stress really CAN affect your palate.

My experiences have been more along the lines of ordinary cigars tasting unexpectedly great, because of the company or the occasion or what have you, but even my favorite cigars don't ALWAYS hit the "sweet spot." Sometimes I'm just too tired or not quite in the mood.

~Boar

I agree that mood and surroundings play a big part. Along with pairing, and possibly shifting what you drink as you smoke

Perfect thread for me to make the following comment  (which I had been thinking about, but didn't think it worthy of starting a thread)

Two different boxes that I really enjoy, and one is (for now anyhow) is likely to be an all time favorite, the first one out of the box  of both of these had me thinking "I wish I hadn't bought the box"  I let everything sit for at least several weeks before smoking so it wasn't a Right Off the Truck sort of thing.

Now, I love both of them.

I think that probably I was hoping for more, "pushing" the smoking experience and that caused them to turn out poorly.

I also have noticed that the cigars seem to taste better if I mix it up on what I drink. Changing beer, whiskey, wine, water whatever - also seems to shift the experience.

Lately, I've been mixing up my own sangria ( not really sangria - but damn it's good) and like that but it's just not as good if I keep doing that.

I have noticed that frequently cigars seem to taste better when I'm smoking with my son, also.

So far is sounds like a resounding, Yes... Mood effects a cigar, it certainly does for me as well.

No doubt mood has an effect on how you taste things.  If you ever said "I am in the mood for...." that's it. That is why you can't always judge a cigar or bourbon or dish just from one experience.

Read through my post....... I constantly say that I never smoke a great cigar after a bad day. Or, that I always smoke what my mood dictates! Mood definitely affects taste and overall experience.

Yes I tend to smoke certain sticks depending on my mood too.

I agree with all of the above.  Think of times where you've been with a bunch of friends, someone or you passed around some sticks, and how it was probably one of the greatest times you all had without even a care of what the stick was.

I can remember smoking with a bunch of family around Thanksgiving, and my uncle passed around a bunch of cigars to all the guys and we went out in the freezing cold and smoked and laughed, etc.  I never even looked at the label, but I did remove it and put it in my coat pocket and remembered it being one of the best cigars I'd had in a while.  A couple days later I was pulling something out of my pocket and the label fell out, so I looked at it.  Huh, a cohiba red dot.  Not a horrible cigar by any means, but not one that I would normally think about pulling out to smoke on a regular basis because all the times I had before, I remember it not being remarkable.

So yeah, mood can definitely have an effect on how the cigar smokes IMO.

Also agree on the above. Another thing is that I never smoke a cigar while I'm working around the yard, in the shed or occupied doing something. Cigars never taste right to me when busy doing something else. I have to give it my attention. Smoking while driving is not a problem though. ;)

Light this! said:
Also agree on the above. Another thing is that I never smoke a cigar while I'm working around the yard, in the shed or occupied doing something. Cigars never taste right to me when busy doing something else. I have to give it my attention. Smoking while driving is not a problem though. ;)
Same thing while smoking and driving a lawn tractor. ;)

I've had bad situations ruin cigars and bad situations make a good cigar better.

Once I was in a foul mood, and decided I was going to smoke. Well, Murphy's law kicked in and everything that could I wrong did, and the cigar sucked.

Another time, I was hosting a party ad all my closest friends were gathered around smoking cigars. I was part way into a Montecristo No2, and got a phone call from my mom letting me know my grandmother was failing. I took solace in my Monte, and it's a cigar memory I'll treasure for a long time. It was warm and rich and comforting. (Having nearly all of my closest friends gathered around helped too :))

I don't really smoke cigars based on mood but I've noticed that my mood (and the weather) does affect how much I enjoy my cigars and what flavors I notice.