• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars & Upcoming Wedding Quandry

DocRKS

My personal preferences in Habana smokes are for the larger vitolas - DCs, Churchills - the Belicoso is probably the 'smallest' cigar I regularly enjoy... Therefore my experience with the PCs and TPCs is rather limited (although I am really enjoying a gift box of RASCCs I received for Xmas.)

Now for my quandry. My eldest daughter's wedding is in early November and I have been asked to please select a few boxes of cigars for those at the reception who want to celebrate the day with a cigar. I vividly remember some horrific scenes at other weddings I have attended where some folks just "jump at the chance" to try a Cuban cigar -light it and take a few puffs and then the cigar is either extinguished in a glass of ice or is just left to go out in an ashtray.

So I am respectfully asking for your guidance as to what cigars to offer to these very occasional smokers who are probably just looking to sample a Habana stick and will in all probability not even get through a half of the cigar (if that much). I am in no way looking for a "throw away" bad cigar - I would like to offer our guests a well made and tasty cigar...but one which will not set me into tears when I see it extinguished in the manner described above.

For the more experienced smokers - I have selected the RyJ Churchill in A/T and the Monte No 2.

TIA........

Hey Doc!!!!

PLPCs or Party Shorts.

I only say that because they're inexpensive, and readilly available by the CAB, they're not too strong and they seem to be a good "beginner" cigar for people who have never smoked Havanas.

I suppose my only concern is that they "look small" (since one is a Mareva andthe other is a Minuto) from an appearance standpoint when you'll be handing larger cigars (Churchill or a Priamides) to others.

Why not have a box or two of Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas, that way they get to smoke a Cuban, but you will not feel so bad if they dump it.

Monte #4? Reasonable cost per stick, medium body, and a recognized cuban brand name. 5x42, so not too small.

JK

I have non Cuban smoking friends that I've turned
on to BBF's and they always finish them...
BBF's also look like what some expect Cubans to be.

The last wedding I've been to the groom offered clubs for guest and for the best men he offered the better smokes. No need to give out good cigars as 50% will truely be wasted. Just throw around a few boxes of clubs which is good cuban tobacco and call it a day. They are small enough to enjoy and not a lot of money if they person doesn't like it. I think I had the R&J's for about 80 cents a pop.

Hey Doc,

I handed out out RASCC at my wedding and everyone, cigar smokers, cigarette smokers, and curious non-smokers who tried them loved them. I was actually quite amazed at the amount of positive reaction these cigars received from everyone.

:cool:

Hey Doc,

Just my 2cents, but why the heck waste anything Cuban on people that have no appreciation for it? I would have a box of really nice Cubans available for your big time cigar enthusiasts, and keep a nice box of inexpensive but decent smokes for the neophites.

I can understand the sentiments of wanting the best for your family and friends, but as an experienced cigar enthusiast, I know it would offend me to see really expensive and hard to acquire smokes being abused like that.

If you really want to do that, I think the Quintero would work nicely to give the people a "taste" of a cuban, without the expense of a premium, and of course keep something really nice for the enthusiasts.

Good luck with the wedding, and I hope everyone has a fantastic time during this celebration.

John V.

Hey Doc, congrats on your daughter's wedding!

What about one of the inexpensive tubos? Great presentation and a nice souvenir if any are so inclined to keep the tube. Some good choices would be:

H. Upmann Coronas Major
Punch Petit Coronations
RyJ No. 1, 2, or 3

lucasbuck said:
Hey Doc, congrats on your daughter's wedding!

What about one of the inexpensive tubos? Great presentation and a nice souvenir if any are so inclined to keep the tube. Some good choices would be:

H. Upmann Coronas Major
Punch Petit Coronations
RyJ No. 1, 2, or 3
[snapback]219024[/snapback]​

Ahhhhh a tubo is a great idea. I did notice a few people taking them home for a souvenir.

:cool:

Sincere thanks for all of the above suggestions and the well wishes on Alyson's wedding - I think that it will indeed be a special time for all especially with all of that extra pagentry as both Alyson and her fiance, Dru (hailing from the great State of North Carolina) are West Point Grads as is their entire wedding party and a big chunk of the guest list - so the Officer Sabers and ARMY Full Dress Blues will be very much a presence at the reception and nothing sets off a dress uniform better than a cigar !!!! ((and I do have to be careful here as there will be both a Brigadeer and a 2-Star in attendance ! LOL)

Bro. Lucas - awesome suggestion on the Tubos - To be honest, I wasn't even thinking of those for this purpose - but some careful shopping puts these right in the range of what I was looking for. I also had a chance to sample a Monte 4 last evening - and I certainly would not hesitate to give those out - it was a very enjoyable smoke..... Again, I really appreciate the fine suggestions and feel much better about facing this situation.....

I would just go for the Quinteros or Jose Piedras. Those are real good for only $2 a stick. Every new smoker I have given one to likes them. I will usually hand them out pretty freely and all are excited to get a "Cuban" and like I said they all have liked them. $hit, I even like them.

But hell, I think the biggest quandry here is the fact that your little girl is getting hitched. I hope he treats her well. And good luck on that day letting go.

I was at a wedding reception in June where the groom's dad passed out some toros with a JR band to whomever wanted them. I don't think anybody there - smoker or nonsmoker - thought less of the guy because the smokes weren't of high enough quality. I appreciated the gesture, and enjoyed a gifted stick with a few other BOTLs who thought the same as I. :thumbs:

For the real cigar smokers give them a Upmann Corona Major A/T like Lucas suggested. For the non smokers grab a box of Quintero Brevas. They are cheap and acutally have a decent cuban flavor.

This issue has now been settled. The general distribution cigars are the H. Upmann Coronas Majors in Aluminum Tubes. My "go to vendor" really came through for me here - not only did he find the 700 Series Vitola (Totalmente a Mano)version of these for me - he even donated a box to celebrate the occasion!

For the knowledgeable cigar smokers at the reception, they will be offered their choice of a RyJ Churchill A/T or a Monte No. 2. The 1st cigar I will light up after the newly married Lieutenants are introduced will be the 1948 Francisco Farach "Joya" that I have been saving for this occasion for many, many years!

Thanks to all for the suggestions and well wishes. :thumbs:

Thanks for the update Bro. Roman. Best of luck for a great occasion.

I attended a wedding on Sunday where they handed out some Don Kiki's. It wasn't the cigar, but it was a great way for a few guys to hang out after dinner and chat so it will be a big plus no matter what gar you hand out. Be careful though I caught a 9 year old with one that he snagged off a table when a guest stepped away. They where only handed out to adults, but he found it very interested and was trying to get to join the party. :0

WOW 1948! :thumbs: I've got 3 1956 Punch one or two of which will get fired up on my birthday next year.

DocRKS said:
The 1st cigar I will light up after the newly married Lieutenants are introduced will be the 1948 Francisco Farach "Joya" that I have been saving for this occasion for many, many years!

Thanks to all for the suggestions and well wishes. :thumbs:
[snapback]221974[/snapback]​