• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Civil Cigar Lounge

Serotiny

Went out Friday night with my wife to celebrate my 35th. Had dinner at Range followed by cigars and libations at Civil Cigar Lounge. We made a reservation which I highly recommend as we cut a large line to get into the place. Many of the cigar lounges I've seen in B&M shops just don't strike me as the kind of place I'd want to sit down and smoke. Many of them just seem so dated and tacky. Not Civil. Every detail seemed well thought out. Great lighting and music. Lots of dark leathers, dark red, and dark wood. The cigar menu was comprehensive and the prices were fair. I really enjoyed it. 

I had my first Padron '64 Exclusivo Maduro paired with a Lagavulin 16yr and my wife had a Rocky Patel '92 petit corona paired with Glenfiddich 18yr. I enjoyed the Padron very much, but the pairing with Lagavulin was a bit too much. Padron with the Glenfiddich on the other hand was a much better pairing. I'm still learning and developing my cigar vernacular so not much of a review of the smoke, more of a recommendation to check out Civil on your next trip to DC. Its right off the Friendship Heights Metro line so its easily accessible from anywhere in the region.

I'm new to the DC area (and to CP), in addition to being a new father I haven't had much time to explore the cigar culture of the area. I've heard some buzz about Shelly's back room too, but from the pictures on their website it looks a little more on the hunting lodge end of the spectrum. I'll check it out though. 

Happy belated Birthday!

Lots to do in DC. Without a doubt go see a band play at the iconic 9:30 Club. Great venue for music!

Sounds like a great evening with a great cigar.  Next time take a pic!  Happy Birthday!

yeah, i was tempted to bring my SLR camera rig to really document it. But it was the first time we had a baby sitter and I wanted to focus on my wife not get caught up with snapping away. I did see a guy there using his iPad to record himself smoking, perhaps a cigar review in the field? Next time. 

And thanks for the birthday wishes guys!

BTW, Range served the best cocktails I've ever had. Ever... The standout being the "Vegan Sacrifice", made of Great King Street Scotch, ginger, cayenne, and spherical “meat ice” made with veal consomme. It was ridiculously awesome. The mouth feel got more velvety as the ice melted. I hate to use the term "umami", but it had it in spades. I also had an Inept Carnie, made with scotch, pumpkin shrub and Averna. annnnd an Antique Dose: rye, strega and barolo chinato.

Range is the kitchen for Civil Lounge too.

I've been wanting to go check that place out. I think the same people that own Draper's own it. The ventilation system is ridiculous in regards to cost to set it up, but from what I'm told there can be ZERO reason for any nearby person or business to complain about any smell coming from the lounge.

I've been meaning to get to Civil. About Shelly's, I love it, but it is fairly old fashioned I guess. I've never heard the term hunting lodge used pejoratively, but to each their own. Thanks for the heads up the on the cocktails. I'm even more inclined to visit.

Welcome to DC, and congrats!

You guys are correct in that the Drapers own Civil. I'm definitely interested in checking out there other holdings.

Civil was packed to capacity when we were there. The ventilation system was holding its own, but it was still pretty smokey. I don't think it was impacting adjacent businesses. 

classyndry said:
I've never heard the term hunting lodge used pejoratively, but to each their own.

Haha... yeah, not trying to sound like a jerk. I hunt, and love all that stuff. just don't think it fires up the wife for date night.