• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Clearing the Past

Jzaid84

I have discussed this with a member here on the forum, and we both agreed that it is better to tell it to all, rather than apologize to individuals. Some of you may know, some of you may not, but I came here to CP back in 2008 and was quite immature and naive with some things. Here is the link I am speaking of:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=49992&hl=jzaid84&st=0

Here is what I have to say, and I hope there are no hard feelings. I'd like for it to be in open about my lack knowledge in the past, but I've grown since than and I hope you all can understand..

Back when I first got on here is when I first opened my store. Im a young guy, and I was young (relatively) for being the owner of a cigar shop. Excited, naive, and probably a few other things.

My father had been in the business for quite some time, so I knew a little about cigars. I knew of Opus and I knew their popularity, but I was clueless as to what their price should be. All I knew is that I had a demand for them.

Down here in Houston, specifically Pearland (where my shop is) there is almost no competition. The closest humidor to us is Specs (a very large liquor chain). Other than that you basically have to drive to the city.

The customers that were coming in upon us opening our store were locals...and they were USED to seeing Opus for $50 a stick at places like Specs. The reason I brought them in (the Reserve D' Cheateau) is because they were requested. The guy really did want to purchase them. I had told him, previous to me ordering, that they were expensive (not knowing the reality) and he said he knew....he simply just wanted them since he couldn't find anyone in Houston that had a box.

We purchased them from a Wholesaler in California called Phillips and King; they are a huge company and carry almost every tobacco product imaginable (including most cigar brands). However, because of this fact, J.C. Newman does not sell to them special released cigars like Opus. So they buy from B & M's...which is why my cost from them was high.

In the end, I learned something from yall (CP members) and I saved a customer tons of money. He was disappointed when I told him I sent it back...but I believe he understood why once I educated him...

That all was more than 2 years ago...since than I have grown as an owner/operator of my own cigar shop and now owner/operator of a cigar wholesale/distribution company. I buy direct from almost all manufactures now (including J.C. Newman) and I understand the nature of price gauging, etc. I cannot blame P & K...but only myself on being so naive to that whole situation.

Im quite sure there are some members here that I left a bitter taste in their mouths, and I don't blame them. They were right and I was wrong. I was cocky and uneducated. I am not sure how I can go about settling everything with them...and just clearing my name and "starting fresh". I don't doubt that there will be those that will always hold a grudge against me...but I believe in second chances...

I have now owned the store for almost 2.5 years. A man that doesn't know how to run a business, wouldn't still be open. Also, I pride myself on my prices...I work hard on keeping them low and keeping them the best in all of Houston. At times there may be a store that has something for less...but it's usually a brand that I do not buy direct from like all the General or Altadis products. It's almost like I have a vendetta against myself because I fucked up that one time back in 2008.

I hope this clears some things up, and I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Back than I was 23, I'm now 26...its a lesson learned.

I forgot to ask, if this is the correct location for such a thread/topic. The OP I made back than was in this part of the forum, so I figured I'd put it here. I guess the Mod's will move it, if need be.

I have discussed this with a member here on the forum, and we both agreed that it is better to tell it to all, rather than apologize to individuals. Some of you may know, some of you may not, but I came here to CP back in 2008 and was quite immature and naive with some things. Here is the link I am speaking of:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=49992&hl=jzaid84&st=0

Here is what I have to say, and I hope there are no hard feelings. I'd like for it to be in open about my lack knowledge in the past, but I've grown since than and I hope you all can understand..

Back when I first got on here is when I first opened my store. Im a young guy, and I was young (relatively) for being the owner of a cigar shop. Excited, naive, and probably a few other things.

My father had been in the business for quite some time, so I knew a little about cigars. I knew of Opus and I knew their popularity, but I was clueless as to what their price should be. All I knew is that I had a demand for them.

Down here in Houston, specifically Pearland (where my shop is) there is almost no competition. The closest humidor to us is Specs (a very large liquor chain). Other than that you basically have to drive to the city.

The customers that were coming in upon us opening our store were locals...and they were USED to seeing Opus for $50 a stick at places like Specs. The reason I brought them in (the Reserve D' Cheateau) is because they were requested. The guy really did want to purchase them. I had told him, previous to me ordering, that they were expensive (not knowing the reality) and he said he knew....he simply just wanted them since he couldn't find anyone in Houston that had a box.

We purchased them from a Wholesaler in California called Phillips and King; they are a huge company and carry almost every tobacco product imaginable (including most cigar brands). However, because of this fact, J.C. Newman does not sell to them special released cigars like Opus. So they buy from B & M's...which is why my cost from them was high.

In the end, I learned something from yall (CP members) and I saved a customer tons of money. He was disappointed when I told him I sent it back...but I believe he understood why once I educated him...

That all was more than 2 years ago...since than I have grown as an owner/operator of my own cigar shop and now owner/operator of a cigar wholesale/distribution company. I buy direct from almost all manufactures now (including J.C. Newman) and I understand the nature of price gauging, etc. I cannot blame P & K...but only myself on being so naive to that whole situation.

Im quite sure there are some members here that I left a bitter taste in their mouths, and I don't blame them. They were right and I was wrong. I was cocky and uneducated. I am not sure how I can go about settling everything with them...and just clearing my name and "starting fresh". I don't doubt that there will be those that will always hold a grudge against me...but I believe in second chances...

I have now owned the store for almost 2.5 years. A man that doesn't know how to run a business, wouldn't still be open. Also, I pride myself on my prices...I work hard on keeping them low and keeping them the best in all of Houston. At times there may be a store that has something for less...but it's usually a brand that I do not buy direct from like all the General or Altadis products. It's almost like I have a vendetta against myself because I fucked up that one time back in 2008.

I hope this clears some things up, and I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Back than I was 23, I'm now 26...its a lesson learned.

I forgot to ask, if this is the correct location for such a thread/topic. The OP I made back than was in this part of the forum, so I figured I'd put it here. I guess the Mod's will move it, if need be.

My eyes hurt. I think I'll go smoke an Opus.

For the most part, CP enjoys staying around the MSRP pricing...and in a few cases, lower - some a little more.

Most retailers here are also members of the community. They particpate at times and folks in their area get to know them.

Stick around and enjoy the site!

-------------------

Josh, you've got something on your eye!

Aside from the creepy eyeball/vagiggly avatar, I wish you well. I've been in business for 20 years and I can tell you, customer service is essential to survival. My audio business has received 7 awards
for being one of the top installation facilities in the USA. Building a good reputation in business is the best advertising dollar you can spend. A happy customer is far more valuable than a newspaper add. You may not make everyone happy every time, but by making the effort you'll find more reward than loss. I wish you well and congratulate you on your success so far. As long as you refuse to participate in this recession, you will go far.

HM, you've got a lot of sac for a guy who tried to sell us heirloom quality Spanish cedar sawdust.

Doc.

Nice of you to apologize but the last line of your post tells me everything I need to know about you. You don't know anything about this community. If you really cared then you would have been here, at least reading. If you were here reading then you would know there is no moderation here. We take care of our own. Now I'm probably jumping to conclusions here but are you back here to sell? Is that the reason you had this epiphany? You now have an established store and you want another avenue to sell from? I've never had any dealings with you or this situation from two years ago but it just hits me wrong. I apologize in advance if i'm reading too much into this.

Well, now Jimmy. You should post what you sent me so the board understands your intent.

Sent in PM to Smoky:

I launched my website yesterday, yes, however it is mainly informational. I have a link on the site, "Daily Cigar Deal", in which I will rotate random specials I have. However, my site does not have a shopping cart or any processing built into it. If someone really wants to take advantage of one of my deals, than they can call in and we can go from there.

Me clearing my name here, is somewhat associated with the launch of my website I guess. However, I am not here to push product on anyone or blatantly spam the forum. I wanted to come out and clear it all based on the simple fact that I did mess up in the past...and if someone had questions about my store front...I was worried that some members may be obliged to tell them to stay away.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Jimmy

Sent in PM to Smoky:

I launched my website yesterday, yes, however it is mainly informational. I have a link on the site, "Daily Cigar Deal", in which I will rotate random specials I have. However, my site does not have a shopping cart or any processing built into it. If someone really wants to take advantage of one of my deals, than they can call in and we can go from there.

Me clearing my name here, is somewhat associated with the launch of my website I guess. However, I am not here to push product on anyone or blatantly spam the forum. I wanted to come out and clear it all based on the simple fact that I did mess up in the past...and if someone had questions about my store front...I was worried that some members may be obliged to tell them to stay away.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Jimmy

Jimmy,

If you weren't launching your website, would you still have come back?

Sorry for the delay, I was drivin home. I'm on my BB now, so responses will still be delayed.

The answer is yes, Rod. I was coming back anyway. The site is just proof that I'm dedicated to my business of 2 and a half years and my continued determination to make myself more transparent and more available. The daily deal is just a nod to the members of these cigar forums.

Any 92 Opus for sale?

Sorry couldn't help myself.......

Any 92 Opus for sale?

I think this is spot on. After wading through the '08 debacle, I never saw where you explained how you came to believe the cigars were from '92. Maybe you did and I missed it, just looking for some clarification. Is it as some in the thread guessed? Did you see a year referred to on the box and take it as a manufacturing date?

Any 92 Opus for sale?

I think this is spot on. After wading through the '08 debacle, I never saw where you explained how you came to believe the cigars were from '92. Maybe you did and I missed it, just looking for some clarification. Is it as some in the thread guessed? Did you see a year referred to on the box and take it as a manufacturing date?

I know the The 3 packs of OpusX in the tins have 1992 written on them. I believe this denotes when the OpusX cigars were first developed. Maybe that's where the confusion came from? :0

Any 92 Opus for sale?

I know the The 3 packs of OpusX in the tins have 1992 written on them. I believe this denotes when the OpusX cigars were first developed. Maybe that's where the confusion came from? :0
I think that is probably the case, I just want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Yall are right...on boxes of Opus is the date 1992. Thats where I got it from...

again, that was the past.

Sorry for the delay, I was drivin home. I'm on my BB now, so responses will still be delayed.

The answer is yes, Rod. I was coming back anyway.
The site is just proof that I'm dedicated to my business of 2 and a half years and my continued determination to make myself more transparent and more available. The daily deal is just a nod to the members of these cigar forums.

Am I the only one that doesn't buy this? If you wanted to come back and be part of this community you would've done it awhile ago. Instead you show up at the same time you launch a commercial website figuring you'll bag a bunch of customers. Only problem is you screwed up in the past and now need to clean it up. You still don't get it and something tells me you won't for some time.