• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Closet into a Humidor

Shooter

Living life on the heavies.
Has anyone done such a thing? I am thinking of turning my office closet into a walk in humi......

Shane

Let me know how this works out if you do it. A friend of mine just built a new house, and wants to turn an area underneath the stairs into a walk in.

Ah, the iimpossible (for me) dream. It's doable. I think I could manage, excpet for the fact that the wife keeps the house too warm during the summer. I would have to figure out a way to keep the area cooler than the rest of the house without destroying the RH.
I have the perfect spot for a walk-in in the new house.....

Seems like it would work well if you put enough money into it (door with a good seal, walls made out of something besides sheetrock, proper temp/humidity controls, etc).

If you decide to go ahead, before/after photos would be neat.

I was basically gonna line the closet with spanish cedar. Put some lights and brushless fans in it, I was just wondering what way to seal it up... We have a smoke shop who uses a sliding patio door on his humi..., that is kinda the way I was leaning towards...

Same concept as installing a wine cellar:

Remove drywall to studs on walls and ceiling.
Install insulation between studs to moderate temperature swings inside walk-in, depending on location in house.
Install plastic ( vapor barrier ) on walls/ floor/ ceiling; minimize seams / cuts.
Install water resistant drywall ( "green board" ) on walls and ceiling; use galvanized fasteners.
Install 2+ GFI outlets and overhead lighting ( with swich on outside of walk in)
Replace door with exterior grade door ( full glass?) with proper seal.

Install insulation between studs to moderate temperature swings inside walk-in, depending on location in house.
Install plastic ( vapor barrier ) on walls/ floor/ ceiling; minimize seams / cuts.
Install water resistant drywall ( "green board" ) on walls and ceiling; use galvanized fasteners.
Install 2+ GFI outlets and overhead lighting ( with swich on outside of walk in)

spanish cedar over the green board...???

spanish cedar over the green board...???

I'd mud the walls / ceiling first, but if you plan to install cedar over it, it doesn't have to be a finish mud coat. The spanish cedar will be the most spendy part of this project, so consider minimizing the spanish cedar to the areas of the humi that will get the highest visual impact. A little spanish cedar will go a long way. Finish coat mud / sand and prime coat / paint the rest. Install spanish cedar last, after you've allowed the room to air out.

Marc Sheldon has one of those. I would PM him and see how he did his. By the way, if I remember correctly Marc said he should have made his bigger. Good luck on your project.

Marc Sheldon has one of those. I would PM him and see how he did his. By the way, if I remember correctly Marc said he should have made his bigger. Good luck on your project.

Bigger is always better.. I am just looking to convert the closet, not build anything extra...

This is a great idea. The cost can be prohibitive. I can get cedar at a discount cause Im a builder and have accounts with suppliers here in upstate NY. One in particular sells exotic woods. I don't know if shipping the wood offsets any savings but if you are interested I can look into it.

This is a great idea. The cost can be prohibitive. I can get cedar at a discount cause Im a builder and have accounts with suppliers here in upstate NY. One in particular sells exotic woods. I don't know if shipping the wood offsets any savings but if you are interested I can look into it.

Thats a possibility, my fatheris a contractor, maybe I will have to dig around.. In the mean time check this place out...

Link

Anyone dealt with these guys?

Wine cellar for the basement

now that is cool

I think MMM is right, you wouldn't need to line the whole thing in Spanish cedar may be a little overpowering. In my dream design, I was thinking about doing a wainscoting around the bottom in Spanish cedar. First, I got to buy/build my new house.

Let me know when you are done, I will be right over.....

I think MMM is right, you wouldn't need to line the whole thing in Spanish cedar may be a little overpowering. In my dream design, I was thinking about doing a wainscoting around the bottom in Spanish cedar. First, I got to buy/build my new house.

Let me know when you are done, I will be right over.....

Well I figured I would look into it, or just buy one...

Still debating....

Plaster or tile.. well you edited the question.......

Well the wife did dive me the go ahead.... Still debating on whether I want to buy one and wait until we finish the basement, or just go ahead and end up with two walk-ins, on upstairs and one downstairs...

Thats a possibility, my fatheris a contractor, maybe I will have to dig around.. In the mean time check this place out...

Link

Anyone dealt with these guys?

Wine cellar for the basement

now that is cool

What a great cellar. Would a refridgeration unit built for a wine cellar moderate the walk in humi as well? A unit such as this Wine Cooler.

I would hang the greenwall stuff that goes in showers (water resistant) over some good insulation. Then I would do spanish cedar over that. A solid door would be tricky as it might swell, so I would do a high quality (read pella) storm door and maybe a small fan (doesn't even have to be a vent fan) just something to cool it off a touch in there. Main thing is that you have a way to maintain that humidity without cracking the walls! Basically build a shower and load it with cigars!

I think that Tad Guage's Idiot's Guide to Cigars talks about walk in humidors like this, but I'm not sure. This is not my idea but I read it somewhere!

Well the wife did dive me the go ahead.... Still debating on whether I want to buy one and wait until we finish the basement, or just go ahead and end up with two walk-ins, on upstairs and one downstairs...

Yeah, must suck to be you...

:whistling:

;)