• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Maduro 5

leafandale

Retalier
Just smoked a Cohiba Maduro 5 yesterday. This possibly could be one of the best ISOM cigars I have ever smoked. It was unbelievable. Smooth, rich, full bodied.. and best of all, a perfect draw. That alone was a big deal to me, having thrown too many in the trash because the draws are just too tight.

I don't know too much about these, but this was the robusto size (the 5.5x52 Genios, I think). It was part of a bomb by a very generous BOTL. This was just an incredible cigar, and I am blessed to have been gifted one.

Anyone had one of these? Opinions?

Tried the Secretos. Good, but didn't blow me away. To be fair, I smoked within a few days of receiving. Resting the others. I do think they may get better with some age.

Just smoked a Cohiba Maduro 5 yesterday. This possibly could be one of the best ISOM cigars I have ever smoked. It was unbelievable. Smooth, rich, full bodied.. and best of all, a perfect draw. That alone was a big deal to me, having thrown too many in the trash because the draws are just too tight.

I don't know too much about these, but this was the robusto size (the 5.5x52 Genios, I think). It was part of a bomb by a very generous BOTL. This was just an incredible cigar, and I am blessed to have been gifted one.

x2 on all of the above. These are fan-friggin-tastic!!! I've had a few Secretos that were plugged pretty bad, but a few pokes opened 'em right up.

I have smoked all three sizes and I have to say that I am usually a fan of the smaller ring gauge cigars (perfecxion #5 is one of my favs), but the genious and the magicos both knocked my socks off!! They are indeed great sticks IMHO.

Jim

All three of the Maduro 5's are on my very short list to try!

I think they are all great. They seem to need some age though.

I have had a few genios', and was thoroughly impressed with most, but a few were awfully tarry and unsmokable (which is strange for Cohiba's strict quality control).

Great flavours though, perfect morning cigar w/coffee.

I guess I am in the minority on these. They are good, don't get me wrong, but I find them lacking for some reason. The Secretos are my favorite by far, very tasty little things. Genios are pretty good, but not worth the price imo. They don't have any Cohiba characteristics at all as far as I am concerned, just too "sweet" for me to really fall in love with them.

the cigar you smoked was probably the magico, the genios are slightly larger, almost as large as the siglo vi. the magicos are the most underappreciated of the maduro 5. i suppose that the secretos get much more play due to there accessibility. these are cohibas. and they do carry the +30% premium. most try the smaller vitola as a means of testing the waters.

with their dark chocolate and coffee bean flavor, this cigar presents a fascinating option for ageing. its a new cigar so newb and fogs can both discover the secrets of this cigar simultaneously.

i have been told that many people expected this to be another over-hyped cohiba, no such luck. these are different and they are/will be a special treat.

cheers
drew p

the cigar you smoked was probably the magico, the genios are slightly larger, almost as large as the siglo vi. the magicos are the most underappreciated of the maduro 5. i suppose that the secretos get much more play due to there accessibility. these are cohibas. and they do carry the +30% premium. most try the smaller vitola as a means of testing the waters.

with their dark chocolate and coffee bean flavor, this cigar presents a fascinating option for ageing. its a new cigar so newb and fogs can both discover the secrets of this cigar simultaneously.

i have been told that many people expected this to be another over-hyped cohiba, no such luck. these are different and they are/will be a special treat.

cheers
drew p

Shift key please.

cheers
drew p

Shift key please.

CM5's are delicious. I'll probably never know how they age as they don't last long enough.

and the shift key sucks, this is the internet, it can't differentiate upper and lower case. :laugh:

cheers
drew p
Drew,

I agree. This is yet another one of those cigars that splits the camp into "love em" or "hate em" factions, especially among the Habanos traditionalists. There seems to be a consensus with respect to the flavor profile. However, for those who regard it as "not classically Cohiba or Habanos" the rich, sweet, savory flavor comes across more as a liability than an asset.

I like the Secretos but have not smoked enough of the Magicos to form a solid opinion. The Genios, though, what a marvelous, sumptuous cigar. If you want to truly experience an evening of eye-opening decadence, start off with a Siglo VI and your favorite rum, then finish with a Genios and a freshly-brewed cup of fine coffee. If this doesn't fire you up from the sheer sensual pleasure of it, then someone needs to get the defib paddles. :D

Wilkey

yeah...I need some ASAP now! :angry:

... If you want to truly experience an evening of eye-opening decadence, start off with a Siglo VI and your favorite rum, then finish with a Genios and a freshly-brewed cup of fine coffee. If this doesn't fire you up from the sheer sensual pleasure of it, then someone needs to get the defib paddles. :D

Wilkey

Goodness gracious. What incredible sounding evening. Time to go find more HC.

I don't like them at all. Too bland and too expensive for what you get.

Give me a siglo II any day of the week over the M5s

I guess I am in the minority on these. They are good, don't get me wrong, but I find them lacking for some reason. The Secretos are my favorite by far, very tasty little things. Genios are pretty good, but not worth the price imo. They don't have any Cohiba characteristics at all as far as I am concerned, just too "sweet" for me to really fall in love with them.

My exact feelings Mike! I had a fifer of the Genios, and I thought they all had an odd taste, even after resting after a while. The Seceretos had a pretty decent profile that you could tell would get better with time. I have one more of those resting to try before deciding to make the box plunge.

Amen. My favorite ISOM! :cool:

.....If you want to truly experience an evening of eye-opening decadence, start off with a Siglo VI and your favorite rum, then finish with a Genios and a freshly-brewed cup of fine coffee. If this doesn't fire you up from the sheer sensual pleasure of it, then someone needs to get the defib paddles. :D

Wilkey
Hmm.....recently got some HC7 so I believe all the ingredients are in the house. What a suggestion...!! This may happen over the coming weekend. Thanks for the suggestion, Wilkey...... :cool:

Best Regards - B.B.S.