• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Magicos (CM5)

Infinity

Infinity - *Unbounded space, time, or quantity*
Cigar:Cohiba Magicos
Leaf: Cuban
Wrapper: Cuban Maduro Wrapper aged for 5 years.
Size: 4x52

"Patience is a virtue" Well, I have no patience...these little beauties have been sitting in my humi for less than a week, that's long enough right? Right!!!

Setting: My lower spa deck...

cob1b.jpg

The sticks are packaged in a beautiful black box with German clasp. Nice looking stick, well constructed with one or two veins, dark creamy looking Maduro wrapper.
I was amazed to find a little plume on the top, no, that's not mold, that's a blow up macro pic. The band was loose which also surprised me...loose bands are usually indicative of aged sticks.
I had a Perrier water to accompany the smoke, didn't want to influence the taste.

coh1a.jpg

coh2.jpg

coh3.jpg

Cut the cap with my Palio...pre-draw was just right, I could taste the wrapper. Torched the little baby and away we went.
The draw was perfect with plumes of smoke. The first 1/4 had a distinct coffee and chocolate taste. The nose was a little strong indicating
a young stick.

coh4.jpg

The burn was a little uneven, I had to apply a slight touch up periodically throughout the smoke The ash was dark gray and a little streaky due mainly
to the touch up's.

coh5.jpg

Into the 2nd 1/4 the chocolate taste became more predominant with subtle cinnamon and a nutty taste starting to come through.
Mmmm, this is an enjoyable smoke!!!

coh7.jpg

Into the 3rd 1/4 the chocolate, cinnamon and nutty taste is consistent. The burn is still slightly off, another touch up.

coh6.jpg

Then the damn smoke went out. I torched it up again and almost chucked it. The first few puffs were terrible, glad I didn't because it got
interesting. For the first time I could taste a little of that famous Cohiba fruity. Together with the Maduro wrapper, this was really unique.

coh8.jpg

Unfortunately, the unique taste was short lived. Perhaps three or four puffs were wonderful and then it started to taste terrible and so,
away it went.

Conclusion:

The Maduro wrapper has been aged for 5 years. It's a great taste that I found unique as far as Maduro wrappers go. This is nothing like any AF
Maduro that I smoke. I thoroughly enjoyed the cigar. I am very partial to Maduro sticks and perhaps this is one of the reasons why I enjoyed it??? I would
love to re-visit this stick with say 3 years age on it, I believe it will be a fantastic smoke when the tobacco and Maduro wrapper blend. I don't
know how I will ever achieve this though, as I mentioned, I am impatient...there is no doubt that these sticks will not last in my humi.

Thanks for the review and sharing your experiences with us, Brian. BTW, that is one amazing view from your deck.

Very, very nice review Brian!! And great pics btw!

Oddly enough, I had my first CM5 tonight as well; a Secretos. Very unusual, but nonetheless very good, cigar. One observation I made is whenever the cigar "tunneled" a bit, the nutty, chocolate flavor was gone. The wrapper makes this cigar, without a doubt!

There is no doubt it has a well cultivated wrapper and I agree, this is what makes the smoke. Interesting that you mention the tunneling, when I had to re-light it tasted like crap, that's
because the wrapper took a little longer to get going.

Brian

Very, very nice review Brian!! And great pics btw!

Oddly enough, I had my first CM5 tonight as well; a Secretos. Very unusual, but nonetheless very good, cigar. One observation I made is whenever the cigar "tunneled" a bit, the nutty, chocolate flavor was gone. The wrapper makes this cigar, without a doubt!

Thanks so much for the review. I agree, what a wonderful view!

This cigar does look fine and I can't wait to give it a go. A little too heavy on my wallet though! I agree that some age will do this young smoke some justice... just gotta be patient.

mac

Excellent review! Thanks for the great pictures as well :thumbs:

Thank god there's no picture of you climbing into your spa with a speedo on. You're a merciful man indeed. :)

I love these cigars. I burned through my sampler and had to order another one. :D

:thumbs: for the review, and awesome smoking area.

or worse...a picture of YOU climbing into my spa with no speedo on! :D :whistling:

Brian

Thank god there's no picture of you climbing into your spa with a speedo on. You're a merciful man indeed. :)

or worse...a picture of YOU climbing into my spa with no speedo on! :D :whistling:

Brian

Hey now....does me covering my eyes and screaming "OH DEAR GOD" consitute you breaking the "religion" rules here on CP?

Great review and awesome pics!!! I hope to be getting my hands on some of these by next week. :love:

Great review Brian! I have heard of these and you know the rest....blah, blah, blah..

Pool looks real nice.............kinda warm here and I bet its real refreshing!

Nice review, thanks, and great pics too.

I'm curious as to whether or not these will be available when I go there in November.

Well done, Brian. I think the key to enjoying the CM5 is twofold:

1. Do not even bother to think of them as "Cohibas." If you smoke them with no expectations that the signature Cohiba flavors (grassiness, for example) will be prominent or even detectable, then your mind and your palate will be free to experience these on their own merits.

2. Time. By all means, try them now but a year or so will render these exceptional.

Thank you for sharing your illuminating review and the wonderful views!

Wilkey

Great review Brian! I can't wait to get my hands on a couple of these!

Nick

Nice review Brian. I'd be curious to see what your opinion is after these sit for a few years.