• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohibas

It's my opinion that Cohiba's are over-rated, but that's just my tastes. Some will agree, most will probably disagree. I think overpriced is one opinion that more will agree on. Shape for shape and size for size, even in Cuba, they're more expensive.

I've had nearly all the Siglo line, several Robustos, a few Pyramids, a Lancero (possibly the worst Cuban cigar I've had) and a few others. Good cigars? For the most part yes. Worth the $$?? IMHO, no. There are many Cuban cigars you can have for less than a comprable Cohiba, many listed above.

I think a Lancero is nearly 3 times the cost of a PSD4 and almost double an MC#2. You can get 2 Party Shorts for a little more than a Siglo I and 2 RASS for less than a Cohiba Robusto. To each their own, and taste is like beauty, in the eye (or taste) of the beholder. When I walk into a shop in Cuba, I know what I'm buying and what I won't buy.

As stated before, there is no doubt that Cohibas are sold at a preimum higher than most other Cuban cigars. That is not a secret. That said...many feel they are worth the cost. If for one am in the pro-Cohiba camp, but I admit sometimes it pains me to part with the money. The reason is that in my experience Cohibas like other Cuban brands do suffer from construction problems. I have purchased 25 ct. boxes of CoRos that contained quite a few ugly wrappers, were underfilled, or even had the wrappers torn at the foot, and believe it or not sometimes so tightly bundled that some of the outer cigars had indentations from the ribbon. That said...when the CoRos are on, they are delicious. If you like them, then why not spend a little more. You take a risk with any box, so why not take it with a box of cigars you will like. Definitely try a few singles before you spring for a box.

SNIP<<<<25 ct. boxes of CoRos that contained quite a few ugly wrappers, were underfilled, or even had the wrappers torn at the foot, and believe it or not sometimes so tightly bundled that some of the outer cigars had indentations from the ribbon. That said...when the CoRos are on, they are delicious. If you like them, then why not spend a little more. >>>>SNIP

I can't imagine a box of Cohibas in the conditions you describe. I will be the first to admit that Cohiba may have the best QC out of all Cuban brands I've had the pleasure of smoking. Hell, I've seen fake Cohibas that looked better than some real smokes of other brands. Does that mean no duds get through the system? Hell no, of course they do, in any brand.

I also agree with your statement that if you like something, pay a little more. And that is the exact reason I treat myself to a box of Trinidads most trips I take to Cuba. Personally, I would take a Trini over a Cohiba any day. But again, that's my tastes compared to yours (and anyone else who enjoys and prefers Cohibas).

To each their own, and as has been said many times; "Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke!"

If you love Esplendidos you'll likely love the Robustos as well. Cohiba more then any other brand has a unique flavor profile. Unfortunately they tend to need more age then most others as well. Five year olds are often spectacular. Ten year olds usually sublime. They are expensive. They are not for everybody. I love 'em.