• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Collecting?

How many people collect cigars just to have them in the humidor? The more i start reading post the more excited i get when i go to the B&M to look around. I just got into cigars awhile ago but having hard to get cigars is very exciting to me. Was wanting to know if that is common or not?

this is exactly how i started..

there are very few duplicates in my humidor.
I keep a detailed journal of all the cigars I have bought or been gifted; where they're from, what they're made with, appr. cost... and smoking dates, and notes.

I collect so i can smoke 'em, kinda like BBS said... Most of my 'special occasions' are when i have enough time to enjoy it to it's fullest, or the right setting (sitting on the deck of the beach house is one of those settings). Nothing in there i'm scared to torch, none are safe.

Thats what i mean buy collecting with the purpose of one day smoking. What are some cigars that i should not pass up if i see them?

Collecting? Never heard of it! :)

you are just cruel, I remember when I first read this board and saw the thread about everybodies humidors.
you are a sick man. the pics of your collection made me sick............of envy.
I don't get jeallous of many things, but man..........my hat's off to you

The really sickening part of it is that he actually smokes them too...and not to mention, he also leaves a few by the pool to properly age.

Thats what i mean buy collecting with the purpose of one day smoking. What are some cigars that i should not pass up if i see them?

It depends on your tastes. I'm a Fuente ho, so any Opus or Anejo i can't pass up. The deeper you get into it, the more 'rare' cigars you crave, often it's about the 'hunt', like most collecting hobbies

To get to the "very hard to get" smokes in my cabinet, I may have to remove several boxes but I'll get there :sign:

Every day is a special occasion, hell, I may be dead tomorrow, smoke the best today :laugh:

Brian

What Brian said pretty much sums it up for me. I do collect cigars to the extent that I acquire things I plan to smoke at some point but I c
n honestly say
the rarest cigars I have gotten my hands on have turned to ash fairly quickly.

I don't have the resources to collect.
There are cigars in my humidors that I'm saving for special occasions, but they all will get smoked. :thumbs:

Right on.

Collecting is only an expression I would use with my wife to explain why I have the cooler instead of the wooden boxes. And as I've mentioned before, if she ever looks around in that cooler, I'm really f.....d.

Every box I buy is with the intent of smoking one day. I do have most of a cooler full of sticks that I just pick up 2's or 3's of to try first. Odd thing is, I've recently been smoking my boxed goods and enjoying it so much I haven't made a dent into the loose sticks.

My habits and finances pretty much preclude buying any real high end "collectors" class cigars. And that's ok because it's really hard to set fire to a $30, $50, or more cigar.

Wilkey

Do I ever get you....................

I had to go trough a couple of years of collecting premium smokes and smoking less than average ones to realize that THEY ARE MADE FOR SMOKING!

Just imagine the time spent to get the blend right, the cultivation, ageing, rolling, and then packaging....If it'll be all for the eyes, it could basically be any leaves with a nice wrapper, and it'll be nice enough!!!!

I have to say I still have a couple smokes that are untoucheable (smokes that I got from certain people, like Alejandro Robaina from a trip to Cuba), but honestly, I now know that collecting is nice, smoking is better.

Good luck with that man

I collect cigars when I can find them and smoke them when they are ready.

Exactly.

An acquaintance of mine has an extremely collectible Vincent Black Shadow motorcycle, a '52 I think. He paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000 for it and then spent around that much more to re-restore it. This guy is a bit of a perfectionist and I expected that it would be a glorious thing to see - if I ever got to see it. You see, a lot of people collect vintage machines like these, make them perfect, and then lock them away in a garage under a tarp.

Anyway, I had just pulled up to my regular coffee shop on a cold, drizzly fall morning when I heard the unmistakable sound of a twin cylindered motorcycle approaching. Lo and behold, there he was cruising down the street towards me. When he got his (period appropriate) helmet off I told him how surprised I was to see the bike out at all, much less on a nasty day like that. He laughed. He asked if I thought he had spent all of that money and time to just stare at the thing in his garage. He told me that he rode it just like any of his other bikes and that the more he rode it the more he loved it. I realized right then that collecting is a fine thing, but that motorcycles have a purpose: they were meant to be ridden.

In the same vein, acquiring hard to find cigars is great fun and I really get a buzz when I finally get some I have coveted, but I always bear in mind that cigars have a purpose, too: they were all meant to be smoked.

And smoke them all I will! :thumbs:

I guess I'm a de facto collector. I don't intentionally "save" cigars so much as I don't have the opportunity to smoke as often as I would like. This results in a surplus that usually has be thinned out through various bombings, trades, and solo herfs at the bar. I used to keep certain cigars for "special" occasions but a fellow CP'er with far more experience than myself, reminded me that eventually I'm gonna die and it would suck to have a bunch of really great cigars sitting in my humi that I never got around to smoking.

Billy

Do I ever get you....................

I had to go trough a couple of years of collecting premium smokes and smoking less than average ones to realize that THEY ARE MADE FOR SMOKING!

Stamps are meant for mailing stuff... yet some people derive pleasure from collecting them, and never intend to affix them to a parcel or letter.

Money is meant for spending, yet some people save money, or even collect rare coins with the intention of never spending them.

It's an odd world. :)

Well, the thing with cigars is they do age so collecting them DOES make sense, in a sense hehe. I do go for some hard to find and highly saught after cigars and I don't smoke them regularly so I guess you can say I'm a collector :)

I spent the better part of the last 30 years smoking singles and never having more than one box of cigars on hand. A few years ago I thought I would try to see what all of this aging business is about so I started keeping a few boxes on hand to sample as they got older. Then I joined CP and have become interested in some variety in my smoking. A couple of months back, an old friend was over and saw my humidors (plural). He said "..oh, so you're collecting now..". I remember thinking how odd his statement seemed since I am not doing any of this for monetary investment and all of my smokes will be burned or gifted by me.

Cheers,
antaean

"....eventually I'm gonna die and it would suck to have a bunch of really great cigars sitting in my humi that I never got around to smoking...."

how true this rings.....

I don't buy cigars to "collect". I buy them to smoke. Do I have a collection, yes. Will I smoke that collection, YES.

I guess once you build up inventory that inventory can be called a collection, but to me "collecting" is the acquisition of something either to look at or to hold in hopes of value appreciation.

That makes sense. I'm not a collector. I'm a hoarder! :laugh: