• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Comments on my "Ghettodor"

speedingpenguin

I'm buying a real humidor this week, but for now I needed a place to keep the few stogies I've got. I figured this was worth a shot, the top seals it pretty nicely and I'm pretty sure its sorta getting the job done (I left a small piece of paper next to one of the cigars a few days ago and today i took it out and it felt a little damp.....)
I just wet the sponge piece and wring it out, and just let it sit on the paper towel on the opposite side of the cigars. I figure its better than nothing, since its only for a week or so hopefully. Think this little setup is doing a sufficient enough job for a broke cigar newbie?
Cigars002.jpg

Once you get going you might want to keep your wifes cigars in a different Humi. The flavor cigars will ruin your manly cigars.

gtphale said:
Once you get going you might want to keep your wifes cigars in a different Humi. The flavor cigars will ruin your manly cigars.
[snapback]299855[/snapback]​
Ouch.....Ouch, man....Ouch :0

I'm sticking with the smaller cigars cause I dont have time for the bigger ones at this time.....jeeze.....lol
:laugh:

hey flavored smokes aqre some peoples choices, not mine, but somes.

however, if left too long, their tastes may blend with not flavored smokes.

Penguin, I saw you other post, if you can wait a week or two I may have a small desk humidor for you. All you have to do is meet me to pick it up.

Holds about 50-75. CAO humidor with a glass top. Holds humidity pretty well. Has some scratches.

I wait on a delivery from Bob and then I will be switching over.

Let me know if you want it and its yours....and maybe ill throw a few smaller smokes inside for you.

And please tell me your ghettodor is not a to to container from a chinese restaurant.....i might have to receonsider my offer... ;) ;)

If you don't have the funds to purchase a humidor at this time, you might want to try a small cooler.... It will probably hold the RH better than what you are using...

BkCloud114 is right - a small, inexpensive cooler will work lots better.
You really need to keep your flavored smokes in a seperate cooler / humidor....or in short time all your smokes will be flavored.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

You do the best you can with the tools at hand. This looks like it will work adequately until you can get a more refined configuration on line.

speedingpenguin said:
gtphale said:
[snapback]299855[/snapback]​
Ouch.....Ouch, man....Ouch :0

I'm sticking with the smaller cigars cause I dont have time for the bigger ones at this time.....jeeze.....lol
:laugh:
[snapback]299874[/snapback]​

I should send you a pic of my first humidor. I was a fan of the Kahulua cigars. Is that the CAO moontrance? That is my wife's favorite smoke.

CigarAl said:

Penguin, I saw you other post, if you can wait a week or two I may have a small desk humidor for you. All you have to do is meet me to pick it up.

Holds about 50-75. CAO humidor with a glass top. Holds humidity pretty well. Has some scratches.

Let me know if you want it and its yours....and maybe ill throw a few smaller smokes inside for you.

And please tell me your ghettodor is not a to to container from a chinese restaurant.....i might have to receonsider my offer... ;) ;)
[snapback]299883[/snapback]​
No way! I'd be glad to take an old humidor off your hands! Definatly let me know!!! I'd REALLY appreciate it!!! Send me a PM with details. Thanks!!!

No, its not a container from a chineese restaurant.... its fairly sturdy plastic, just found it lying around my kitchen and figured it might work better than nothing at all.

As for the flavored smokes, which one(s) are considered "Flavored"?
I'll probably smoke the Punch tonight, since I'll have about an hour to kill while I wait for some of my buddys to get out of work (we all go bowling friday nights...."Target" night almost, haha)

Thanks for the input everyone!
-Chris :blush:

The CAO moontrance is the flavored one. I got an old opus box with a humi gel cup for my wifes flavored smokes. Worked pretty good.

I used the tupperware setup when I first started out also and it worked fine. I think as long as you have a decent seal on the container you should be good. I had my sponge in a separate tupperware container though and it was soaked. I used the tupperware for a few months and still use it as an overflow for my humidors.

Hey, you're doing fine with what you have. My only concern is if the plastic has an odor to it then it will pervade into the rest of the cigars. Not to mention the CAO.

Now, on THAT subject, I tried flavored smokes and really didn't get into them all that much. I tried the Moontrance, and some others and found them incredibly harsh. I also agree that putting them in their own humidor/tupperdor/etc... is the best possible bit of advice to heed. If not, the rest of your cigars' natural flavors and aromas may be overcome by the flavored puros.

Just remember something, Speedingpenguin .... SIZE matters... size of the humidor/coolerdor that is! I started with one of those 50 count humidors and am now saddled with MANY humidors myself, with at least 3 that I'm trying to sell off. Remember... always go BIG! You won't be sorry, and filling it will be the most fun you've had in years!

Food for thought....
Darren ;)

speedingpenguin said:
CigarAl said:

Penguin, I saw you other post, if you can wait a week or two I may have a small desk humidor for you.  All you have to do is meet me to pick it up.

Holds about 50-75.  CAO humidor with a glass top.  Holds humidity pretty well.  Has some scratches.

And please tell me your ghettodor is not a to to container from a chinese restaurant.....i might have to receonsider my offer... ;)  ;)
[snapback]299883[/snapback]​
No way! I'd be glad to take an old humidor off your hands! Definatly let me know!!! I'd REALLY appreciate it!!! Send me a PM with details. Thanks!!!

No, its not a container from a chineese restaurant.... its fairly sturdy plastic, just found it lying around my kitchen and figured it might work better than nothing at all.

As for the flavored smokes, which one(s) are considered "Flavored"?
I'll probably smoke the Punch tonight, since I'll have about an hour to kill while I wait for some of my buddys to get out of work (we all go bowling friday nights...."Target" night almost, haha)

Thanks for the input everyone!
-Chris :blush:
[snapback]299970[/snapback]​

PM Sent.

Still looks like a carry out container to me... ;)

CigarAl- Just let me know when and I'll be there! :)

As for the flavored cigar, maybe I should smoke that one tonight instead? get it outa the way of the others?
At this point I cant say if I like flavored cigars or not... Now I just go through the humidor at the place I buy them from and look for names I recognize and just look for ones that look like, well, what I'm looking for.... a good but fairly quick smoke. Once the weather starts to get better I'll be willing to sit outside for hours at a time with some REAL cigars, but with the cold weather now, standing outside freezing my tail off for 45+ minutes...not quite on my "I wanna do that!" list....

EDIT: Actually it might be a takeout container but not chineese.....the only place we get chinese food from only use the boxes and the tin "tubs" with the real flimsy plastic lids.....ya know, the ones you fold the lip of the container over the cover....lol but yeah, i guess it might be a takeout container....i washed it out really good though

I say get rid of the moontrance, but there is nothing wrong with "little smokes". I notice the tin of Cohiba's, although I've not had that particular size I recommend you buy the Pequinos. They are a little larger, and my favorite "quick" smoke.

Nick

BK has it, use a small cooler, get some floral foam from the craft store, you can buy a brick for like 30 cents, and use distilled water on it. My guess is you will have a mold problem with your current set up.

BK has it, use a small cooler, get some floral foam from the craft store, you can buy a brick for like 30 cents, and use distilled water on it. My guess is you will have a mold problem with your current set up.

well, I got rid of everything but the Cohibas.....
the Punch was probably the best once I've smoked yet, cept it burned AWFUL and no matter what I did, I couldnt seem to fix it...still a great experience!
The moontrance was a disaster. Waste of 3 dollars or however much it cost. Cut it and the single, thin wrapper layer ripped and part of it fell right off. Off to a bad start. It lit up great and stuff, but didnt taste good, partially because the whole wrapper was missing pretty much. The thing couldnt have been lit for more than 3 minutes, seriously, and hadnt burned anything at all really, and i just tossed it. Grabbed one of the Cohibas and laughed as the moontrance slowly died out. I would say it was a waste, but I guess its part of being a newbie....gotta try stuff to see whats good and whats not!
:whistling:

The fiancee used to like moontrace till she had a padron... bad mistake on my part financally :)