• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Comments on my "Ghettodor"

BK has it, use a small cooler, get some floral foam from the craft store, you can buy a brick for like 30 cents, and use distilled water on it. My guess is you will have a mold problem with your current set up.

Even if you were to use distilled water in the florist foam, you could still develop mold inside that sealed container. Without something to regulate just how much moisture, or Relative Humidity is in the air, mold may still be a problem.

Buy one of the products on the market that is a mixture of 50% distilled water and 50% propylene glycol, or PG. This 50/50 mixture stabilizes and helps to regulate your humidifier at 70% relative humidity. The 50% mixture of propylene glycol and 50% water combination balances humidity and prevents drastic swings in humidity. What you'll use this for is to treat your florist foam humidifier, providing you have not purchased a pre-treated humidifier already.

This link will supply just about all you need to know about cigar storage: http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=jrcu_storage
Look for the section titled: HUMIDIFIERS for a better explanation of what PG does to regulate the relative humidity. The market names are various, "50/50 Solution", "70/70 Solution", and "Cigar Juice", being some of them.

The down-side of a plastic container is that it does not breath. Even humidors made of wood "breath", allowing some air exchange with the outside. In other words they are not water-tight and moisture can escape. Plastic containers are water-tight if they have a good seal around the lid. This is why mold can grow because mold usually requires a damp environment. A sealed, plastic container and plain distilled water can increase the chance that mold will grow.

Usually you can remedy the problem by opening the plastic container briefly, 1-2 times a day to allow for some fresh air to enter the container.

I hope this helps you. :cool: