• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Complete cigar collection stolen

I understand. I look at it like this- if my stuff was just stolen and I am in the process of trying to fill out an insurance claim on something that ive never had to file a claim about like consumables bought over time with no record of purchase , them my head would not necessarily be in how do I create a relationship with this community, but along the lines of how do I get info to get this claim submitted. Now granted this community isn't really here to answer on off questions like a Reddit or a Facebook but given his question and the lack of the typical weasel a tivity we are accustomed to seeing, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt as I imagine his head is elsewhere at the moment. Should he ask for free stuff or anything else more in line with weaseling then my opinion would change. But with the current cards on the table, I stand by last post.
I guess the moral to this story Jon, is that you are a better man than I am.

But then, who isn't?😀

This actually gives me something to think about. I am going to audit and insure my collection now.

An insurance company is only going to pay out with proof - receipts, credit card statements and/or (maybe) photographic documentation. And I doubt they will give two shits about higher value due to aging - you will only get basic replacement cost or original purchase price, as documented.

Cigars aren’t something commonly stolen or sold for quick cash. I would talk to the local cigar shops in case someone comes in looking to move them, and keep on eye on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist to see if they turn up?

I was honest about the Macanudos - you will be lucky to get reimbursed for them instead of having them take up space next to those other premium cigars you listed.
There may be a clause, with a limit, that allows estimates.
I had it on the bike insurance.
When I dropped it, they paid the invoice repairs...but...I also had 3 or 5 K in the clause for accessories. They paid out for the clothes and helmet, etc with estimates. /current value.
Homeowners usually has just max on 'household items' ....you can say whatever, but they only pay out X - particularly with theft.

Dude gotta check his policy.

I had the unlucky privilege of somebody breaking into my house and one of the things they stole was my entire cigar collection of - 650 cigars, my humidors, cutters and lighters. Of those cigars - 60 of them were Cubans I had legally brought into the country but since the law has changed back to them being illegal my insurance company won’t cover them. I’m trying to figure out a price for the insurance company. One of the things I’m having the most difficulty with is the price of the cigars I’ve been aging. One of my favorite brands is Padron and I had - 150 of them. I also had some very rare cigars you just can’t buy anymore or at least I couldn’t find them. The brands I had in larger quantities were Arturo Fuente, My Father, Romeo and Juliet, Ashton, Liga Privada, Fuente Opus, Macanudo and Monte Crisco.

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, just getting more information about the prices for these cigars and the process it takes would be helpful.
Contact some local shops on current pricing. That's about the best you can start with doing.

This actually gives me something to think about. I am going to audit and insure my collection now.
Let us know how that turns out.

I spoke to my insurance agent about insuring my guns. I also mentioned my cigars, the numbers he gave me for premium costs were astronomical.

Let us know how that turns out.

I spoke to my insurance agent about insuring my guns. I also mentioned my cigars, the numbers he gave me for premium costs were astronomical.
@CigarStone Did it matter if you stored them in a safe(guns)? I know to itemize them all, the $$$ is ridiculous, sadly. I haven't talked to my insurance dude yet, but some day. Jewelry is the same way. They're gonna get ya one way or the other.

Floyd T

@CigarStone Did it matter if you stored them in a safe(guns)? I know to itemize them all, the $$$ is ridiculous, sadly. I haven't talked to my insurance dude yet, but some day. Jewelry is the same way. They're gonna get ya one way or the other.

Floyd T
How I stored them did not come up in the discussion. We tried to choose some of them to ensure as a cario and relic but The cost was incredible!

Honestly, I have two or three firearms that mean the world to me. Any amount of money wouldn't bring them back, if some jagoff stole em. And honestly, one of em prolly ain't worth $100. BUT, my dad "pocket carried" this pistol since he was a young man, and it means the world to me. It sleeps safely in the safe, so only something really wrong would have to happen for it to go missing.

This discussion is an awakening to those that may not have a safe. It's like insurance, but you at least have something to show for it years later(the safe I'm referring to).

Enjoy the day.

Floyd T

I built a hidden gun room in my house to keep my guns away from prying eyes. I have always wondered just how well a safe would preserve a gun in a catastrophic house fire?

I built a hidden gun room in my house to keep my guns away from prying eyes. I have always wondered just how well a safe would preserve a gun in a catastrophic house fire?
Well, it depends on temp rating as well as how quickly the fire dept can dampen the flames. If it falls through the floor and smolders in the basement, under the entire house, prolly gonna get ugly. If in the garage or basement, and not in a heaping ash pile, well, maybe a bit better luck.

If it's a catastrophic fire, I'm prolly more worried about other shit. Ys, I'd be sad, but after all, it's only "stuff". My seegars on the other hand, would be soul crushing, even if they are only Ghurkas!

Floyd T

They are fire rated, so the highest you can get, the better. If they're in a soldering heap of ash, shit melts!! Surprisingly, I've heard some manufacturers have replaced "damaged' guns after a horrible fire. Others, well, they'll sell you more.

Floyd T
I have a number of guns that I am rather anal about as far as the things that can impact accuracy.

I could be wrong but I would not want my gun being in 400 or 500゚ for hours

Thank you guys for replying to my message it means a lot to me. I kept a log of my cigars but it wasn’t anywhere as detailed as my insurance wants it. They are wanting the dates of when I bought each cigar.
Thanks for the advice of talking to a cigar store. I talked to the manager of the cigar store I’ve bought a lot of my cigars but they recently changed locations and it’s a new guy. I’m setting up a meeting with a different store buy as I mentioned it’s a lot of cigars.
From now on I would advise everyone in this group to keep a list of all your cigars and take pictures of your humidor. I never thought anyone would break into my house and steal them.
If anyone could give me a figure or percentage of how much I should add to the cigars I’ve been aging? Such as a box of the Padron 50th anniversary that I’ve been aging for ~ 5 years. To buy a box right now is $2,100 and I’ve read different things on how much to add.

Sincerely,
Ryan