• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Computer Geeks, I need help

Bu11dog

Is there any online (preferably free) scans. I've had to dump all the anti-virus etc off the computer as whatever this machine has won't let it update. I installed the cox security suite we get with our service but it hasn't taken care of the problem either. The symptoms noticed are the mouse works sporadically and jumps to the top of the screen from time to time. It was worse but a few were removed already. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

AVG is great (as mentioned above)

Also, Spybot search and destroy
AdAware
If you have a legal copy of windows you may do well with 'windows defender'

Make sure you run these scans (after updating definitions) in safe mode by hitting f8 on boot about once a second. You'll get a menu with the option of 'safe mode', that'll help a ton.
Do you run system restore? If so, you may want to consider disabling that while you do these scans as well, that's a common hiding spot some of these scans will not look at

All the above aside, if things are really screwy it's best to back up your stuff and do a clean install. Typically this takes less time too!

If you need any further info send me a PM, we'll talk it out

~R

Do a search for housecall, its by trendmicro. They have a free online scanner, and I think you can download a trial for for free of the full version.

When my friends have issues like this, I usually point them there first, and then a spybot run afterwards. Oh and if you have comcast you can get a free download of Mcaffee as well.

As others have said, AVG Free is good. AdAware now has an active client as well. MalawareBytes is another good scanner as well for things to catch. Mysteria pretty much covers it, but I am also available for PM consultation should you wish.

Off head, some things to google and get for free:

BitDefender free online scan (probably the most paranoid free online scanner).
Kapersky free online scan (second choice).
Panda Scan free online scan (not all that nice).
Malwarebytes.
Spybot

I'm no longer really impressed with Lavasoft's products. Meh. AVG Free is pretty much a resource hog and isn't all that impressive. I can't tell you the amount of computers I've worked on that have up to date AVG Free and are still nearly functionless. All of that pretty much goes without saying that almost all anti-virus prgorams are resource hogs. An exception that comes to mind is NOD32.

Spybot and adaware both crashed on me and won't update at all. Windows defender hasn't killed it either. I'll try the others tonight or tomorrow and see what happens. Cox, our local provider has mcafee also but it hasn't eliminated the problem either.
Thanks for the help, I'll keep you all updated as to how it goes!

I'm guessing you have some sort of virus/spyware/etc that has added the common virus/spyware update servers to your hosts file. Pretty typical of newer spyware/viruses - and not all that big of a deal.

Check %sys root%\system32\drivers\etc\

Make a back up copy to your desktop, then change it properties from read-only to archive, empty it except the localhost entry, save it, change it back to read only. Reboot in safe + networking, see if you can then update your definitions. If not, you can DL definition updates directly from the Spybot website.

If it doesn't allow you, you may need to DL a program called StartupList. That, or go to the startup list in Spybot to check for malignant entries.

Also, check services.msc in the Start->Run entry to check for randomly named services that clearly don't fit in. Also, a screenshot of your running processes would help.

Make sure when you run those programs your in safe mode and you don't have your internet connected.

Sorry ahead of time if this isnt the most coeherent post, I'm stuck with my phone for internet.

Spybot's a good program, i never found it to remove much but its registry setting blocking can save you from viruses if you keep reading them when they pop up *I deny like 80% of changes.

For anti-virus i use avast, it's a very good software and has a free version.

Nod32 was one of the better free-ware ones also, i haven't used it for a while but it outpreforms other free software.

One thing you do not want to do is google anti-virus and start using those apps or ones from ads. a good deal of free anti-virus applications have been circulating the net that pretend to find and fix errors but really infect your computer with their own virus. Plus I've tried 1 or 2 of the ones on tv for fun and they show normal programs as viruses as well as do some other hap-hazzard things to your computer (one currupted my registry)

If trying a few of the programs here does not fix your error it may just be your mouse, if it's a ball mouse open the bottom and clean it... it needs it anyways, if its a laser mouse it could be your surface.

In the future i also suggest installing the 'adblock plus' plugin for firefox, it not only keeps ads off the page which can force popups but also prevents you from accessing some domains and ip's known to cause trouble. although don't forget to ad exceptions for cp's ad partners, they need the ad revenue.

if all this doesn't fix it save yourself some trouble and backup all the files you want to keep to another place, another computer or a bunch of flash drives. then pop in the windows disc that came with your pc and reboot, then just follow the steps to make a new windows install.

jlada, I need a screen shot program first, the list is about two pages long of the processes running. I really don't like the vista software. The older version didn't seem to be so slow and prone to so many things going wrong. Maybe someday I'll switch to a Mac but for now this is what I have.
I'll work on it later today, just finished cutting down a huge branch that was about 25' up in the tree for a friend and now the family and I are playing for the day.

I switched to Avast a few years back and have had no complaints. Uses very little resources and never pops anything up to bug you. Hasn't let a thing slip by it yet, and I download quite a bit, even things I know I shouldn't but I try anyway. Catches it every time.

To add another to the list, I have been using ClamAV on a large number of systems and have been really happy with it. You can find it here: http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/18/46/. I have also used the aforementioned AdAware with good success for cleaning out specific issues.

Good luck.

Maybe someday I'll switch to a Mac but for now this is what I have.

If your looking to get a mac because you don't want virus stop yourself now and save your money. If you want a mac for another reason then theirs no issue.

Mac are the least secure operating system on the market right now and have been for at least the past 2 years. It's true at the very least that there are less virus/malware for mac's however they are not immune to virus's/malware. They are the most vulnerable OS on the market because they have the slowest response to any flaw found, and almost no mac users have a anti-virus software.

This was not meant to single out preference for any particular OS, just to highlight that it does not matter what OS you run, you still need anti-virus software, free or paid (for the love of god not Norton) .

You might do well with trying 'system recovery' also (if there's a recovery point), this may or may not work depending on if your infection knows how to hide there.

Yaknow, when dealing with problems like this there's often a question of time.. ie:
How much time will it take to _really_ fix this problem, and will the machine work well once I'm done?

Often I'll apply a general 'rule' of 'work until it pisses ya off, then run the system recovery CD'

That being said, consider backing up your stuff and running that recovery CD! If you need a hand with backing up your stuff I'll be happy to talk you through it. Don't forget your internet (pr0n) bookmarks, images, mp3's etc!

One question: Is this a dell laptop?

still having trouble and as usual haven't had time, maybe this weekend. I need time when the kids don't bother me and I'm awake. Good luck with that one! I'll keep you all posted though, lots of stuff to try, I really appreciate it!

It's funny, I am the pc guru around my family and friends and I'm pretty consistantly asked to help "fix" their computers.

Sometimes I wish they would call as soon as the problem shows up, but more often than not its when they have "broken" it beyond hope. Usually I try for about 2 hours or as mysterea said, "until it pisses me off". At that point its a clean wipe and a reinstall of some sort, or I take them to the store and make them buy a new machine. I usually start off these conversations with "you know if I help you, theres a good chance you will lose whatever you have on your machine, right?".

Sometimes though you have to bite the bullet and go with a new machine. My dads last pc was like this, and it was one I built for him. But he had hardware issues that culminated into a bad motherboard and I got tired of fighting to fix his outdated stuff. When the magic smoke puffed out of the ram, we went to the store that night and bought one off the shelf for him.

And I always remind people to make mulitple copys of their most important stuff, always and often. You never know when that HD is going to crap out and you lost everything you have. Or that virus decides to do a full format and your done. Whats funny is that this never happens to me, I'm not sure why. then again, noone except my wife touches my pc, and very sparingly at that.

The kids get brand new dells, one a low end, one top of the line and still manage to screw them up within a week.....unbelievable!