• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Confession of a newbie

Zeebra

Daddy still loves Padrón!
Hello to all my BOTLs here. I have a confession for you today about my first cigar smoking experience. I have held back from revealing this story in the past, for fear of public ridicule. I am at the point now where I can take the jokes, I've met quite a few great guys on this board and I know everyone can have a good laugh at my expense. So here goes.

When I went to Cuba last year, I had NO experience with cigars. My brother in law had asked me to bring back some cigars for him, so while there my wife suggested we try smoking one to see what it was like.

I bought a Cohiba Siglo III, we sat down at the resort bar and lit the smoke up. I drew long and deep on the cigar but hardly any smoke came out. I'm thinking "WTF? I don't get this cigar smoking craze, it's so difficult to get any smoke!" I try to light the cigar some more, take long drags on it, nothing's happening!

The astute reader will pick up on the fact that I took the cigar out, and lit it up. I had NO IDEA I was supposed to clip the end of the cigar to be able to draw smoke through it.

Long story short, when I got back to Canada, my brother in law had a great laugh at my expense. Then he showed me how to properly cut the cigar and smoke it. It was still a Cohiba Siglo III as my first smoke, but the 2nd time I had it was FAR superior to the first attempt.

:cool:

A gave one of my cigars to a friend during a card game at my house. He did the same thing because the only other cigars he had ever smoked in his life were the gas station variety which don't need to be cut or clipped. :laugh:

A gave one of my cigars to a friend during a card game at my house. He did the same thing because the only other cigars he had ever smoked in his life were the gas station variety which don't need to be cut or clipped. :laugh:

Who's "A"?

Funny story. :sign: I wish I had made the same mistake on my first cigar. Unfortunately I couldn't, as I was smoking a Phillies.

This whole story is very strange. I just sniff and stare at my cigars.

JK

:0 Ohhh...you have to light them! I've been cutting them, never thought to light it though....hmmmmm...makes alot more sense now! ;)

Who's "A"?

My original sentence started like this "A friend of mine did the same thing during a card game at my house....." I changed my wording to make the sentence sound better to me and forgot to change the "A" to an "I."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good story, Zee. :thumbs:

I believe my first cigar was a Backwoods cheroot. No cutting required. No inhaling either but I didn't know that. :sign:

Wilkey

Good stuff Zeebra! :laugh:

That reminds me of a joke...the one about the young blonde that was attempting to give her first bj...taking the name 'bj' much too literally. :whistling:
Just goes to show, not everything is obvious to everybody. :p

There is a great scene in Being There where Peter Sellers tries to smoke a cigar without clipping it. Classic.

I did the same thing a couple of Fridays ago, at around 2 a.m. :laugh:

obviouslly they dont play clint eastwood movies up in ohh canada ay..he always bites and spits his stogies ay :D

Good story. HAHA.

One question, so how did a Cohiba taste to you when you were a newbie?

Who's "A"?

My original sentence started like this "A friend of mine did the same thing during a card game at my house....." I changed my wording to make the sentence sound better to me and forgot to change the "A" to an "I."

I was just busting your chops. :laugh:

Good story. HAHA.

One question, so how did a Cohiba taste to you when you were a newbie?

Well when I finally smoked it PROPERLY I thought it was great. So smooth, lots of smoke. I have a difficult time distinguishing flavours in a cigar so I can't say what it tastes like. Hopefully my palette can become more refined as I further my obsession. All I remmeber after smoking that first (second) Cohiba, was a feeling of content. I was so mellow after that. :laugh:

You've got nothing on Monica Lewinsky's first cigar experience ;)

Nor do I WANT anything on Lewinsky's first experience. :whistling:

Good story, reminds me of one of the new bartenders at my work. People would ask for a extra dry martini and he would dump in extra vermouth. When I called him out on it, he looked at me like I was a dumbass, and pointed at the bottle where it said "extra dry vermouth". I asked him to tell me what a wet martini was, and that shut him up. :laugh:

-Shawm