• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Contest for Newbies

hooiserguy said:
whats the dates on the contest ending?
[snapback]274164[/snapback]​

from his post

The first contest will be a Q&A type with 10 questions. The above rules apply. Please PM me your answers by midnight Thursday. I will announce the winners on Friday morning. The first three (3) PMs with the correct answers will win a 10-pack of cigars.

1. Diamond Crown Maximus was introduced by the JC Newman Company in 2003. In which country is this cigar manufactured and by what factory? From which country does the wrapper come from?

03 DCMs are nice! :D

cigardawg said:
1. Diamond Crown Maximus was introduced by the JC Newman Company in 2003. In which country is this cigar manufactured and by what factory? From which country does the wrapper come from? The Diamond Crown Maximus is made in the Dominican Republic by the Fuentes. The wrapper is Ecuadoran. (source, Perelman's 2005 edition)
2. Por Larranaga and Henry Clay were made famous (or at least mentioned) in the writings of which English poet? Rudyard Kipling
3. Van Winkle bourbons are currently made in which distillery? They are currently made in the Buffalo Trace distillery, however, since I did not originally have the word "currently" in the question, I will accept Van Winkle.
4. There are 3 rules for calling a bourbon a bourbon. What are they? From the Whiskey Bible (Jim Murray, 2005) - To be legally called a bourbon, it must have been with a minimum of 51% corn and matured in virgin oak casks for a minimum of 2 years. Oh, and no colouring can be added other than that which come naturally from the barrel.
5. The Don Lino Africa has a four country blend in the filler. From which four countries does the tobacco come? Cameroon, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Nicaragua (source, Perelman's 2005 edition)
6. The Don Melo Centenario is currently made by which manufacturer/cigar company? Who originally made the cigar? Is currently manufactured by Altadis. Was originally manufactured by Fellipe Gregorio in Santa Rosa de Copan,Honduras.
7. Name at least 4 discontinued Cuban cigar brands. Davidoff, Dunhill, La Escepcion, Maria Guerrera (hundreds listed in Perelman's Pocket Cyclopedia of Havana Cigars, third edition, 2005)...remember, I asked for brands, not vitolas
8. I smoked and reviewed a number of cigars following the 2005 RTDA. What was my favorite cigar from the show? Edicion de Silvio Cameroon Grovey
9. I have a box of cigars that has the box code OASC BM. In what month/year were they manufactured? At what factory? June 1997 in the Briones Montoto factory
10. At the 2005 RTDA, Padron introduced a new size in each of the 1964 and 1926 product lines. What were these new sizes? 1964 the "A" size to be released in boxes of 10 and the 1926 No. 35

[snapback]273439[/snapback]​

I have listed the answers above. I will post the winners later this morning. Thanks for playing.

cigardawg said:
7. Name at least 4 discontinued Cuban cigar brands.  Davidoff, Dunhill, La Escepcion, Maria Guerrera (hundreds listed in Perelman's Pocket Cyclopedia of Havana Cigars, third edition, 2005)...remember, I asked for brands, not vitolas
[snapback]274872[/snapback]​

I think I scored a 90%. I missed #7 because I did not follow directions... actually I think it is because I'm an idoit!

Thanks again for hosting this. I had fun playing, learning and losing!

This should be a gimme. Virgin Oak barrels is not correct, it has to be virgin CHARRED oak barrels. Also there are a number of other requirements such as it has to be made in the US to be sold as bourbon here and by law, bourbon can come off the still at no more than 160 proof, and must enter the barrel at no more than 125 proof. If neither of those are met it isn't leagally bourbon either.

cigardawg said:
cigardawg said:
4. There are 3 rules for calling a bourbon a bourbon.  What are they?  From the Whiskey Bible (Jim Murray, 2005) - To be legally called a bourbon, it must have been with a minimum of 51% corn and matured in virgin oak casks for a minimum of 2 years.  Oh, and no colouring can be added other than that which come naturally from the barrel.

cigardawg said:
8. I smoked and reviewed a number of cigars following the 2005 RTDA. What was my favorite cigar from the show? Edicion de Silvio Cameroon Grovey

Dang it....Got one wrong. :angry:

AVB said:
This should be a gimme. Virgin Oak barrels is not correct, it has to be virgin CHARRED oak barrels. Also there are a number of other requirements such as it has to be made in the US to be sold as bourbon here and by law, bourbon can come off the still at no more than 160 proof, and must enter the barrel at no more than 125 proof. If neither of those are met it isn't leagally bourbon either.

cigardawg said:
cigardawg said:
4. There are 3 rules for calling a bourbon a bourbon. What are they? From the Whiskey Bible (Jim Murray, 2005) - To be legally called a bourbon, it must have been with a minimum of 51% corn and matured in virgin oak casks for a minimum of 2 years. Oh, and no colouring can be added other than that which come naturally from the barrel.

[snapback]275001[/snapback]​

That's fine. I'll make it a gimme, but what I wrote is quoted from Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible 2005. No other rules are given. Also, there are "bourbons" being made in other countries and marketed as such. It is just here in the US that we don't accept them as such.

cigardawg said:
cigardawg said:
5. The Don Lino Africa has a four country blend in the filler.  From which four countries does the tobacco come?  Cameroon, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Nicaragua (source, Perelman's 2005 edition)

I have listed the answers above. I will post the winners later this morning. Thanks for playing.
[snapback]274872[/snapback]​

Oops! I guess Africa isn't really a country is it. I just couldn't for the life of me find the country. Should have assumed Cameroon, though, I guess.

Maybe next time!

Thanks for the contest, it was educational.

:) :thumbs:

OK. I got one PM with all of the correct answers. Per my post above, no. 4 is a gimme. Unless you said something really dumb, you could not miss it. :p The only 100% PM was submitted by Pompous Pugs. Hopefully, I can correctly put the PM in my post.

Your Quiz Answers (hopefully) said:
1. Diamond Crown Maximus was introduced by the JC Newman Company in 2003.
In which country is this cigar manufactured and by what factory? A. Fuente in the Dominican Republic
From which country does the wrapper come from?
It is an Ecuadoran sun-grown wrapper from the El Bajo region harvested on the Oliva family`s Ecuador plantation.

2. Por Larranaga and Henry Clay were made famous (or at least mentioned) in the writings of which English poet?Rudyard Kipling

3. Van Winkle bourbons are currently made in which distillery?
In 2002 they moved to Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky.

4. There are 3 rules for calling a bourbon a bourbon. What are they?
1) Made in Kentucky (otherwise it cannot be put on the label)
2) No more than 160 proof
3) 51% corn (or maize)

5. The Don Lino Africa has a four country blend in the filler. From which four countries does the tobacco come?
They come from the D.R., Camaroon, Mexico, and Nicaragua.

6. The Don Melo Centenario is currently made by which manufacturer/cigar company? Who originally made the cigar?Until 2002 Don Melo was made under contract for Felipe Gregorio Inc. at Santa Rosa de Copan, a factory owned by Altadis. Now exclusively made and marketed by Altadis.

7. Name at least 4 discontinued Cuban cigar brands.
1) Davidoff
2) Dunhill
3) Canaria de Oro
4) La Escepcion

8. I smoked and reviewed a number of cigars following the 2005 RTDA. What was my favorite cigar from the show?
Lots of A-‘s out there. Maybe some grade inflation, but you gave Edicion de Silvio Cameroon Grovey an A+.

9. I have a box of cigars that has the box code OASC BM. In what month/year were they manufactured? At what factory?
Month/Year: 06/97
Factory: Briones Montoto (Belascoain 852, Havana)

10. At the 2005 RTDA, Padron introduced a new size in each of the 1964 and 1926 product lines. What were these new sizes?
1964: "A" (natural and maduro) 8.250 x 50
1926: “No.35” 4.000 x 47

He was not the first, but since accuracy wins over speed...However, there were 3 runners-up. I had three PMs with only one wrong answer. They were submitted by ryn, bthompson2875, and techie101 in that order. Since techie101 didn't join until yesterday, I'll cut him a break...they all win. Packages will go out tomorrow morning. If your addresses are not in your profiles, please PM them to me ASAP. Thanks for playing. :thumbs:

On another note, I apologize if some of the questions were a bit misleading or ambiguous. I'll try to pick my questions with more care next time. If any of you that submitted answers think that I wrongly "scored" them, please feel free to PM me...just no whining. :p

Once again, thanks for playing.

Thanks for the contest, cigardawg! :D

I noticed several places said the Don Lino Africa also uses Honduran tobacco? Is there any truth to that?

congrats to the winners and thanks for the contest cigardawg.

Actually only counties that don't belong to the EU, Nafta and whatever the egual is for South America since there are treaty laws that are reciprocal. I have heard of a Polish bourbon being called bourbon but it is only available in Poland and they aren't part of the EU.

cigardawg said:
That's fine. I'll make it a gimme, but what I wrote is quoted from Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible 2005. No other rules are given. Also, there are "bourbons" being made in other countries and marketed as such. It is just here in the US that we don't accept them as such.
[snapback]275018[/snapback]​