• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Contest for sci-fi readers!

Time Enough For Love - Heinlein

Oh, the Places You'll Go! Dr. Seuss

It was first published by Random House on January 22, 1990, making it his last book published before his death.

Congrats on the success!!!!

Tim

Wrong, but Green Eggs and Ham is in my top twenty! I read that book to my boys so-o-o-o many times when they were little, I know most of it by heart.

Good guesses, all. Remember... you can guess a title even if it's already been listed previously by another person. (That might be considered a hint...)

Also, I'm changing the rules just a bit. If multiple folks guess the correct book, I will give a prize to the first person who guessed it, and have a drawing for a second package among the remaining correct guesses.

Eye of the World - Robert Jordan

(And reading this list brings back so many memories...I think I'm going to go rummaging through my boxes...)

Outside the Universe - Edmund Hamilton

Now THAT is old school space opera with three galaxies at war with each other.

But I do agree with Starship Troopers.

Well Steve, since you gave us the hint that someone already guessed the right book, I'm going to continue to add books I think everyone here would like (enjoy) to read.

Bill, the Galactic Hero - Harry Harrison

And while Starship Troopers is a great book...

"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is even better.

Well, since there was a hint involved, I'm feeling like I should be choosing between Starship Troopers and Ender's Game for my final guess . . . lol.

But screw that! American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Read it if you haven't!

~Boar

This is a great thread! Brings back some fond memories and reminds me of some stuff I want to read(and others I want to reread). Now I have to go through this list and start a new list for book shopping...

Revelation Space series by Alistair Reynolds.

Well Steve, since you gave us the hint that someone already guessed the right book, I'm going to continue to add books I think everyone here would like (enjoy) to read.

Ever read Harrison's The Deathworld Trilogy?

Guess I'm a little confused with the contest rules. If the book has already been guessed, wouldn't the contest be over? Is it that I'm overly dense today or did somebody get the wrong author?

Congrats on your success. It's always wonderful news to hear that an author has success in self-publishing. I think I may have 20 readers around the globe and all my stuff is in literary journals.

I don't read much Sci-Fi nowadays (in fact the last nonliterary series I tried was Game of Thrones) but I was a big fan of the Aliens spin off books when I was a teenager.

Ever read Harrison's The Deathworld Trilogy?

Guess I'm a little confused with the contest rules. If the book has already been guessed, wouldn't the contest be over? Is it that I'm overly dense today or did somebody get the wrong author?

Yes I have I've read most of his books and have liked them all.

And as far as the rules go...

You can guess a book title even if it has already been chosen. If multiple BOTLs pick the correct book, I will draw two names. Both will receive a package send a package to the first person who guessed correctly and draw a name from the subsequent correct guesses for a second package.

And as far as the rules go...

You can guess a book title even if it has already been chosen. If multiple BOTLs pick the correct book, I will draw two names. Both will receive a package send a package to the first person who guessed correctly and draw a name from the subsequent correct guesses for a second package.

Got it. Thanks. Lack of comprehension on my part.

Duh.

Thanks to all who entered the contest. There are some great books recommended in this thread. I've added a few more "must reads" to my Kindle list.

My favorite book of all time: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. If you haven't read it, or the sequel Ender's Shadow, I highly recommend them. There are other books in the Ender series and, while still good, they don't stand up to these two, IMO. Also, you don't need to read them all to get a complete story.

In my top ten, and also listed in this thread were The Stand, Dune and The Forever War. All great guesses!

So, the winners are:
  • Joebunaga
  • Gern Blansten
Guys, shoot me a PM with your addy's and I'll get your packages out early next week.

Thanks again, all! Hopefully, you've found a few more titles to add to your reading list.

Steve

Thanks to all who entered the contest. There are some great books recommended in this thread. I've added a few more "must reads" to my Kindle list.

My favorite book of all time: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. If you haven't read it, or the sequel Ender's Shadow, I highly recommend them. There are other books in the Ender series and, while still good, they don't stand up to these two, IMO. Also, you don't need to read them all to get a complete story.

In my top ten, and also listed in this thread were The Stand, Dune and The Forever War. All great guesses!

So, the winners are:
  • Joebunaga
  • Gern Blansten
Guys, shoot me a PM with your addy's and I'll get your packages out early next week.

Thanks again, all! Hopefully, you've found a few more titles to add to your reading list.

Steve

Congrats, guys.

Loved Ender's Game and the original Ender Saga. One of the few series that I've re-read several times and now on my 13-year old's summer reading list. As for the Shadow series, I really enjoyed Ender's Shadow, but then was severely let down with the rest of the series.

Steve, your list happens to be on my top ten too. You've probably read them, but a couple more recommendations: Gaiman's American Gods (as Boar mentioned earlier), and Connie Willis' Doomsday Book. Both authors are multiple Hugo/Nebula winners and even my sci-fi hating wife, really enjoyed the two books.

Gaiman is one of my favorite authors since his stint writing the Sandman comics. He has a very hypnotically descriptive style of writing and even his "children's" books are great. His collaboration with Terry Pratchett on Good Omens is funny and extremely enjoyable.