• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Contribution/Donation to CP!

Infinity

Infinity - *Unbounded space, time, or quantity*
CP has become a large family. Since I joined 2 years ago the membership has more than doubled. The active users have also more than doubled.
This means that Rod has had to ensure sufficient band width to cater for all the traffic. In addition, he has had to maintain the site, all the while, at
his own cost.

Rod has never asked for a donation to offset his costs and nor will he. Sure, he has had the CP store up now and then but that just entails more work
to supplement his costs. So I got to thinking...

Here's a guy who selflessly uses his own funds, for the love of his hobby (his words) to provide us with a cigar home. Rod, through his management of
CP and the love of his hobby has inadvertently changed many members lives, in more ways than one. We have become better people, generous people, some
have even generated income on CP from goods other than cigars due to the ongoing generosity of Rod.

Personally I think it's time for me to contribute, to help Rod offset some of his costs. Others may agree with me and so I would like to put this out to
the board for suggestions.

I have sent Rod a check. I think that if I and a few others donate once or twice a year, it will help run CP, a small price to pay for what I and you get out of CP.

I suggest that if you have been a member for say 6 months, and provided you can afford it, a small donation, perhaps once or twice a year will help ease the financial burden.
Please do not misunderstand my intentions. You do NOT have to give a donation. Rod has never asked for one and if you prefer not to donate, nobody will think any
less of you, least of all Rod.

Brian

Great stuff Brian!

Personally I'd like to see some sort of link where if we choose to, we can click on it and give a P*y P*l donation at our leisure. The convenience and ease may get others to donate more frequently if even in small amounts.

But if that's a bad idea then I'll figure out a way to donate for sure anyway :)

Thanks again Rod for the site.

That's very generous of you, Brian. I do want to make it clear, no one should feel obligated to donate. I love CigarPass, and seeing how it creates friendships makes it all worth the time/effort. It's amazing to see how the site has grown so rapidly over the past year, and the many friendships that are made. Again, this makes maintaining CP well worth it.

Again, please don't feel obligated to donate. When I look at some of the other cigar forums who have the "donate now" button listed, to me, it's kind of a turn off. I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it for the love of the hobby.

Thanks,
Rod

That's very generous of you, Brian. I do want to make it clear, no one should feel obligated to donate. I love CigarPass, and seeing how it creates friendships makes it all worth the time/effort. It's amazing to see how the site has grown so rapidly over the past year, and the many friendships that are made. Again, this makes maintaining CP well worth it.

Again, please don't feel obligated to donate. When I look at some of the other cigar forums who have the "donate now" button listed, to me, it's kind of a turn off. I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it for the love of the hobby.

Thanks,
Rod

Thanks Rod for all you do :thumbs:

Thanks,
Rod

Thanks Rod for all you do :thumbs:

My sentiments exactly.

Thanks,
Rod

I feel honored to be part of such a wonderful community. I am also impressed with Rod's sincere comments which I think are evident in all the care he puts into running the board and funding it. I do however think that a portal may be an easier way to go for us who work from 5 to 5 and have a hard time getting to the PO. Instead of PP, perhaps a button in the CP shop when it is back up and running. It would be a convenient, safe, and low profile way for all of us to give back to such a wonderful outlet. JMHO.

Nate

Very nice Brian! This was something that needed to be brought up. Even though Rod would never ask it, sometimes we just need to give because it's the right thing to do.

Thanks for this place Rod. I have gleaned a wealth of knowledge, and most importantly, made some REALLY GOOD friends in my short time here. Some, I have never even met face to face.

I feel honored to be part of such a wonderful community. I am also impressed with Rod's sincere comments which I think are evident in all the care he puts into running the board and funding it. I do however think that a portal may be an easier way to go for us who work from 5 to 5 and have a hard time getting to the PO. Instead of PP, perhaps a button in the CP shop when it is back up and running. It would be a convenient, safe, and low profile way for all of us to give back to such a wonderful outlet. JMHO.

Nate

Great idea, Nate.

The option to pay using PP in the online store would be helpful for guys like me, who try to limit using their credit cards to necessity/emergency.

The option to pay using PP in the online store would be helpful for guys like me, who try to limit using their credit cards to necessity/emergency.

Not picking at you here bro, but I think it would be better to just get a money order (or hell, just put a 20 into a card) and send it along.

Rod, thanks man.

Not picking at you here bro, but I think it would be better to just get a money order (or hell, just put a 20 into a card) and send it along.

Rod, thanks man.

It may be easier but I'm just trying to point out that adding this option might increase the contributions. If Rod doesn't think its a good idea, no problem I'll find other ways to contribute. Just throwing ideas around to help with the financial burden.

Rod cannot have pisspal on his site for obvious reasons, he wouldn't want it anyhow, nor would he want any clickable link.

Do what tsmckenney suggests if you want to make a small contribution.

Brian

I'm working on bringing the CP Store back (limited products, such as travel humidors, large cabinet humidors, maybe PG solution). Also, I've spent the past two years working on a product that I've wanted to do for a long time. It will be out by March 1. Supporting both the CP store and/or buying this new product (which shall remain nameless for now), will greatly help to support CP.

I'm working on bringing the CP Store back (limited products, such as travel humidors, large cabinet humidors, maybe PG solution). Also, I've spent the past two years working on a product that I've wanted to do for a long time. It will be out by March 1. Supporting both the CP store and/or buying this new product (which shall remain nameless for now), will greatly help to support CP.

I'll take 2 on the blind! :thumbs:

As was stated more eloquently than I ....THANKS!

I have stated this on other occasions I have had the pleasure of meeting Rod and Herfing with him personally and he is every bit as generous and accomidating in person. Brian brings up an excellent point that I never considered about the maitainance of the site, which Rod so graciously hosts.

I will put in my .02 fwiw, like others who may be reading or have read this post maybe asking themselves how much is enough or will my contribution make a significant impact? Much like I often equate to when tipping at a restaurant that provided excellent did I tip enough?

I would like to propose an auction of cigar realted items, and other items of interest to the cigar smoker. Scotch, Beer, Wine, and the like and offer those funds to Rod for the upkeeping of the site.

I offer to host or help host this auction, possibly run it for one or two weeks. This is proabably the least I could do for a place that has given me so much in the short time I have been here.

For those who still wish to contribute the all mighty dollar any little bit helps, I am sure that all of us who wish to contribute can find something to give. :thumbs: What say all of you? I already have a couple of items in mind.

Another (non-cigar) forum that I am a member of, had a time when several deals had went south on members. So the forum owner changed access to the buy/sell area to paid members. Yearly you could pay say $25 and that would give you access to the buying and selling area. If you did not want to pay you still had access to the rest of the site and could contribute or learn from all members. Newbie’s are not allowed to purchase this option until they have been a member for 90 days. This has generated enough money to run the site and upgrade software and servers whenever necessary. The problems with people coming in and selling their wares just to scam was eliminated. Just a thought I would throw out there as it has worked very well there.

CigarPass Herf III

Help support this event and you help support CigarPass.

(before you nay sayers start to say ,"Hey wait I cant afford to go to Vegas..bla bla bla."...You dont even need to go to the event to help out ..donate cigars / cigar related items to be raffled off or buy raffle tickets for the items to be raffled off. Im pretty sure a majority of the proceeds go to support this site)

CigarPass Herf III

(before you nay sayers start to say ,"Hey wait I cant afford to go to Vegas..bla bla bla."...You dont even need to go to the event to help out ..donate cigars / cigar related items to be raffled off or buy raffle tickets for the items to be raffled off. Im pretty sure a majority of the proceeds go to support this site)

Excellent idea! CP's 3rd annual herf will be May 24 in Las Vegas. ALL of the proceeds earned from the event go directly into the CP account - I do not touch those funds for anything other than upgrading/maintaining/hosting/etc CP.

I'm one of the new guys (less than 90 days), but this site has already become a part of my routine. I check in a few times each day to stay in touch. I would have no problem whatsoever with an annual donation, either mandatory or voluntary. There is obviously a great deal of work involved with keeping this site going. I'm still learning and wasn't aware of contributing to the Cigar Pass Herf. There's a lot going on here.

Besides, Rod owns a Mustang. He can't be all bad.

CigarPass Herf III

Excellent Alex!

Usually the tickets are sold at the annual Herf. Will you co-ordinate the sale of tickets as well as the donation of smokes for auction this year in a thread, say one month before the event?

Brian