• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cooking with beer ...

MAS_Puros

Me as a wee one with my bottle of Abyss
I've heard of marniating and/or cooking with beer .... Some of the uses I have done are:
- I've cooked shrimp with Tecate Beer, tons of butter, salt, tons of garlic, and Clamato and added something spicey to give it a kick.
- I've also made beer batter for my country fried steak.

I wanted to hear from my CP brothers of any weird uses ?
Example: Stone Ruinition as a Marinade for chicken or added to homeade chili

Thanks.

Edited for spelling

Funny you mention this. Super Bowl Sunday I made brisket in my slow cooker. Lined the bottom of the pot with peppers and onions. Brisket on top. Then I mixed some chili sauce, brown sugar, garlic and beer together and poured it on top. I used Sam Adams Black Lager.

Let it cook up for 12 hours, then made a gravy with the cooking liquid and some horseradish. Came out great.

4 ounces bacon, diced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup flour
12 ounces of beer, pale ale
1 quart chicken stock
8 ounces Cabot White Cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
Garnish:
Chopped parsley
1/2 cup small diced toasted croutons

Brown the bacon in the soup pot. Remove excess grease. Add the butter, onions, and celery to the pot with the bacon and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Dust the flour over the vegetables and bacon, cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Stir in the beer, and then the stock.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve with chopped parsley and croutons.

I stole this from Emeril years ago and made a few improvements. It's great this time of year.

Doc.

Beer Can Chicken - this can be done in the oven or on the BBQ. Outside is best or a deep pan underneth if inside.
It is simple: Open Beer CAN, place upright in a roasting pan or on grill. impale whole roasing chicken on the can. IE - shove the can in the cavity of the chicken to stand on end. The can heats up and keeps the chicken moist and tasty. Brush outside of chicken with AVB's BBQ sauce and voila - cheap, easy, and simple.

I also love beer battered onion rings. The darker the beer, the better!

I like to make sausage biscuit gravy using a nice Stout or Porter.

Just make sausage gravy like you normally would, but add a cup of the dark beer to it.

Just make sausage gravy like you normally would, but add a cup of the dark beer to it.
Only folks below the Mason Dixon line would consider making sausage gravy normal.

Doc.

Only folks below the Mason Dixon line would consider making sausage gravy normal.

Doc.
LOL....sausage gravy with some biscuits, grits with some butter and salt, and a coupla eggs and coffee...what more could you ask for in a breakfast?

...sausage gravy with some biscuits, grits with some butter and salt, and a coupla eggs and coffee...what more could you ask for in a breakfast?
How about a triple-bypass? :laugh:

The Australian recipe for beer involves:

1. Sausages, Chops and Hamburgers.
2. BBQ.
3. Beer.

Drink beer whilst cooking barbie, if tipsy, tip beer on hotplate when cooking chops.

I have three:
Braised Beer Beef Shanks

4 Beef shanks
1 onion (ringed)
garlic cloves
½ cup beef broth
1 brown beer

Season shanks with salt and pepper.
Flour and brown the shanks in Dutch oven with some oil. Add crushed garlic, onions broth and beer. Just enough to cover the base of Dutch oven with liquid but not submerge the shanks. Bring liquids to boil. Reduce heat to low and cover with tight fitting lid and braise on low heat until done.

Remove shanks when done and tender. Add ½ tbsp. mustard and ½ tbsp. horseradish to braising liquid. Reduce on high heat to sauce like consistency, add two pats of butter.
Serve on shanks, or pour all over yourself in a beer and beer jubilation!!!!

Chili

2 lbs. Ground Sirloin (can use ground chuck or steak meat cut into cubes)
1 ea. 12oz. can tomato paste
cup Spicy BBQ sauce
2 ea. Medium onions chopped
2 ea. Stalks of celery cut into 1-2" strips
3 ea. Jalapeno peppers (keep seeds for spicier chili, or remove for mild)
2 ea. Medium green peppers (chopped)
1 ea. Small red pepper (chopped)
3+ tbsp. Chili powder depending on taste
½ tsp. Dry mustard powder
4 ea. Cloves of garlic (minced)
1½ tbsp. Cumin
1½ ea. 12oz bottles of pale ale (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale) Drink the other half bottle
1 can Chili beans with sauce
1 can Drained black beans
2 ea. Bay Leaves
1 tbsp. Oregano
2 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil

In stockpot heat olive oil over medium high heat and add onions and all the peppers. Cook in stockpot until they start to tender, and then add the garlic and meat. Brown the meat, drain and reduce heat to medium. Add all the rest of the ingredients to the pot along with the meat and peppers mixture. Bring to a slow boil and reduce heat again to simmer. Simmer for 30-60 minutes, add more beer or water if chili is thicker than you like.

Hefeweiss Lemon Mousse

Prep time: One to two hours
Recipe type: Dessert And Sweets
Ingredients:
3 ea. Large eggs, separated
1 cup Granulated white sugar
1 cup Hefeweiss (used in ⅓ cup measures)
1 tbsp. Cornstarch
½ cup Fresh lemon juice (three lemons)
1 tbsp. Finely minced lemon zest (yellow skin only)
1 tsp. Unflavored gelatin
½ cup Powdered confectioners' sugar
cup Whipping cream

1. Separate the yolks and whites. Prepare a double boiler (2-quart). While water heats, whip the egg yolks until thick and lemony colored, slowly mixing in ½ cup granulated sugar, in stages. The yolks will turn thick and pale yellow.
2. Blend cornstarch and lemon juice, whisking well to eliminate any starch lumps. Blend into the yolk mixture, then place in the top of the double boiler, and cook over simmering (not boiling) water until the yolk mixture has thickened. Slowly whisk in ⅓ cup Weissbier, warmed over the stove or in a microwave, to 140°F. The warmed Weissbier will not curdle the sauce. Whisk well, and bring the yolk blend to 160°F, or until steaming and thickened, stirring often. Do not let simmer or boil. Remove from the heat, scrape with a spatula into a large 1-gallon stainless steel or glass bowl, and let cool.
3. In a quart saucepan, bring ⅓ cup Weissbier and ½ cup granulated white sugar to a boil, until it reaches syrup stage (200°F). While the bier syrup heats, whip egg whites to very soft peak stage, then slowly drizzle in the hot bier-sugar syrup to "cook" the meringue. Continue to whip the egg whites until the volume has almost doubled and firm peaks form. Set aside to cool in the refrigerator.
4. Blend unflavored gelatin and cup Weissbier in a small saucepan, and let soften at room temperature for 2-3 minutes. Place over low heat and simmer until gelatin is fully dissolved. Set aside to cool.
5. Whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Blend the gelatin-Weissbier mixture with the cooled yolk custard base. Whip ⅓ of the reserved chilled egg white meringue into the custard, mixing well to temper and lighten the base, then, in several additions, fold the remaining whipped cream and egg white meringue into the custard base.
6. Ladle the mixture into 4-oz. serving cups and freeze for 5-6 hours. Or, pour the entire mousse mixture into a large 1-gallon tub and freeze solid. Serve scooped, like ice cream. Will hold up to two weeks, frozen in a sealed, airtight container...but expect the beer flavor to intensify with time.

I've got another for ya.

Roast Beef Sandwiches with Beer and pepperoncini au jus.

To be made in a crock pot

1- 3-5 lb Chuck Roast
2 Cups of Stout beer or Porter (you could use any kind of beer really)
1 cup of water
2 spoon fulls of minced garlic
10-15 Pepperoncini's chopped-also pour in some of the juice from the peppers
1/2 sweet onion chopped
2 beef bouilon cubes
2 tablespoons of fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon of kosher salt.
couple loafs of italian bread for making the sandwiches
Provolone Cheese.

Mix everything together in the crock pot and let it cook most of the day or until the roast gets really tender and falls apart. Once its finished you're ready to make some really good sandwiches. just add the meat and cheese and you're ready to go. Topped with extra pepperoncini's is the way to go.

Don't forget to use the juice as your au jus!

Old Bay Shrimp:

Combine beer and Old Bay seasoning in a small pot
Bring to a Boil
Cook the shrimp
Peel and eat while drinking more beer (NOT the beer used for cooking)

..chop some stuff, drink some beer, sautée something, drink some beer... :laugh:

My mor-mor (mothers mother) used to make oatmeal with beer, I was too young to appreciate it though!

New castle past. I used to work at a Bennigans and we had this on one pasta alfredo on the menu I thought was great, first you make the pasta, get a chicken breast and cut it into strips then mix it all in with some mushrooms garlic and maybe even some bellpeppers if you like, then simmer in some alfredo sauce and when it just about done throw in the new castle and let it simmer for just a bit... but not too much you still wanna have the new castle taste and smell.

My two Italian grandmothers, mother, and padrina are rolling over in their graves.

Doc.

Guinness Ice Cream

1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup Guinness stout
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons molasses
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a medium saucepan, scrape in the vanilla bean seeds. Add the pod, milk, and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn off the heat, cover the pan, and let the flavors infuse for 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the stout and molasses. Bring to a boil and turn off heat.

3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk in a few tablespoons of the hot cream mixture, then slowly whisk in another 1/4 cup of the cream. Add the remaining cream in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.

4. Stir the beer mixture into the cream mixture. Cook the custard over medium heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon, for 6 to 8 minutes or until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.

5. Strain the mixture into a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Process the custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Yeah, when you are grilling, it never hurts to pour a little beer on anything you are grilling. That's my recipe.

P.S. Why would you want to preserve the taste and smell of Newcastle?