• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cooler Question

BTW, anyone have any suggestions on what to use for shelving? Dont really like the look of the plastic-coated racks... I'd like to use wood, but Spanish Cedar is pretty hard to come by around these parts... Would it be possible to use something else such as plywood or would that eventually deteriorate due to the humidity?

Adam

Not sure I would put plywood in there. ??? Could potentially add a flavor component... and not so sure I want my smokes tasting like plywood or even giving the slightest resemblance of plywood. I could be wrong though. I would look for plastic shelves... or spanish cedar.

mac
Yep. If I couldn't find Spanish cedar, I'd go with the hygienic plastic-coated metal shelving. Stainless steel would be even better.

Wilkey

BTW, anyone have any suggestions on what to use for shelving? Dont really like the look of the plastic-coated racks... I'd like to use wood, but Spanish Cedar is pretty hard to come by around these parts... Would it be possible to use something else such as plywood or would that eventually deteriorate due to the humidity?

Adam

Not sure I would put plywood in there. ??? Could potentially add a flavor component... and not so sure I want my smokes tasting like plywood or even giving the slightest resemblance of plywood. I could be wrong though. I would look for plastic shelves... or spanish cedar.

mac
Yep. If I couldn't find Spanish cedar, I'd go with the hygienic plastic-coated metal shelving. Stainless steel would be even better.

Wilkey

Only thing with the plastic coated shelving, if any cracks develop where the moisture can get tothe metal you run a slight chance of rust developing. Depending on what humidity you keep the cooler.

Yeah i was kinda thinking that about the flavour of the plywood. Not exactly appetizing. Oh well, looks like I'll have to go with steel shelving unless I can find some S.C.

Adam

Yeah i was kinda thinking that about the flavour of the plywood. Not exactly appetizing. Oh well, looks like I'll have to go with steel shelving unless I can find some S.C.

Adam

I used Egg Crate for mine. (What you see in kitchen lighting.) Go to Low's or Home depo in the lighting section. Plastic with about quarter inch squares pattern.. I used a table saw, cut to fit shelfs.. Works great and allows for free air flow...

In regards to spanish Cedar.. Your cigar boxes have cedar. I also went with spanish cedar trays for my single stick storage. Stood on end like a standing fridge.. Took the bottom for trays. Rest is for box storage...

See Ya!

How long have you had the egg crate in your cooler? Are the boxes stacked up on the shelves? I think my only concern would be that the plastic starts to sag after some time. This is because though it is stiff, it's not really designed to be load bearing.

Wilkey

Something else to consider, once you have your shelves in place, is air flow and even distribution of the humidity. Consider splitting up that pound of beads into two bags/bowls and placing one at the top and one at the bottom.

Something else to consider, once you have your shelves in place, is air flow and even distribution of the humidity. Consider splitting up that pound of beads into two bags/bowls and placing one at the top and one at the bottom.

A real quick question about that... and probably one that would be best directed toward Viper... what is the best type of dish to keep the beads in. Would a pyrex pie dish (something with more surface area) be better than a bowl (something deeper)? or does it really matter? Also, where do you guys place the beads... on top of boxes?

As you can all tell, I'm expecting to have my cooler project up and running by the end of the week. Just getting some last minute opinions from you more experienced cooler owners..

mac

How long have you had the egg crate in your cooler? Are the boxes stacked up on the shelves? I think my only concern would be that the plastic starts to sag after some time. This is because though it is stiff, it's not really designed to be load bearing.

Wilkey

I've had it up for about four months now.

It does sag a little but with about an inch of sidebar to catch the edge it hasnt been a problem so far.

2 inches is the best depth.

What I did, is take the cheep deli container's and cut out the bottom's. Giving me a shallow four five inch inch round dishes to put my beads into.. I'm going to end up getting the nylon sacks from heartfelt. I know sooner or later I'm going to have an accident and spill the dam beads all over the place if I dont. I was just in a hurry to get my 150 quart up and running and took the easy way out is all. ;-)

Well it looks as though shelving for my cooler is going to be quite difficult for me. I cant find Spanish Cedar or any type of metal/plastic dividers/racks anywhere. As spanish cedar is actually a type of mahogany, does anyone know whether I would be able to use regular mahogany? I have a feeling that may not be too hard to find. Or maybe like perspex or something? I seem to be running out of options...

Adam

Well it looks as though shelving for my cooler is going to be quite difficult for me. I cant find Spanish Cedar or any type of metal/plastic dividers/racks anywhere. As spanish cedar is actually a type of mahogany, does anyone know whether I would be able to use regular mahogany? I have a feeling that may not be too hard to find. Or maybe like perspex or something? I seem to be running out of options...

Adam

Come on Adam I am sure you know how to use "Google"

Luthiers supplies

linkey

If this doesn't help then try the phone book. There will be a timber supplier in your area with Spanish Ceder mate.
If not just buy a cheap Chinese made Humi that will not seal and chop it up.

I have heard that luan plywood is a mahogany product. It's pretty cheap and available at most Lowes and Home Depots. Do a search on luan and see what you find.