• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolidor from Omaha steaks shipping container

olrob

I have 4-5 various sizes of insulated container from buying meats from Omaha. Can these be used for a coolidor?
How to clean? season?
Thanks

BTW I was told that without a humidor the best place to store cigars is in the freezer. Is that ok?

Tupperware is cheap. You will need humidification. Boveda makes small affordable packets but they are temporary solutions.

You should write an introduction and read the rules.
Try the search function too..lots of info.

They need to be in an airtight or nearly airtight container. I wouldn't store in the freezer... I've seen and heard that, but I don't know where that idea comes from. Stuff still dries out (freezer burn) in the freezer... The coolers should be fine as long as they seal, but I'm not familiar with that exact type (never ordered from Omaha).

-John

I've used one of those I got smacked down with during a major 'bombing war' on another forum as an overflow coolidor. It worked great---just add Heartfelt beads and as long as it's had time to air out, you're good to go. For those who haven't seen them, they're thick, dense styrofoam with a tight seal, not at all like the cheap foam coolers you usually see.

~Boar

I'd say that one of the Omaha coolers would work really well. Just make sure you wipe down the inside and make sure they don't smell like steak...let them air out for a while and that should do the trick. As said before, beads from Heartfelt are the way to go, and pick up a digital hygrometer while your there too.

As for keeping cigars in the freezer, I'd say no. My ex's dad used to do this when he received cigars from clients and co-workers, gave me a couple for my birthday one year. Could definitely tell they weren't kept properly. For short time storage, Boveda pack and a tupperware container are a safe bet.

Good luck with the coolidor man!

_craig_

Thanks to all for the good info (except for Acclaym). Food (like steaks, fish, veggies, etc.) sent from Omaha are sealed and frozen very well and packed with CO2 to keep frozen. No food smell ever gets to the container walls. The tops are very well sealed to keep CO2 from melting??.
Is there a way to put a hygrometer which can be read from outside the box? If you open the top and look at a hygrometer which is inside do you lose the environment/humidity in the box?
Thanks again.

Acclaym gave you pretty good info as well. If you want to get to know people here introducing yourself and filling out your profile is the way to start. If you don't want to be social, there is a ton of good info available via search, and its a good way to learn the basics.

Yeah, Acclaym, you big jerk. Why should he conform to the community? Come here, demand answers, then do whatever you want.

I use my Omaha Steaks cooler to store my Keurig cups overflow since I don't smoke cigars. Keeps the cockroaches out.

A friend of mine uses them for overflow and they work fine. Never use the freezer!

Thanks to all for the good info (except for Acclaym).....

Aw man, I missed this! Thanks for the good laugh this morning olrob. I think we'll get along just fine, ya little gooch. :D

Why are we even talking about this (WTF). Even cheap cigars aren't cheap. Why the hell would you want to even think about recycling a shipping container. Just buy some tupperware or a cooler if you can't/wont get a proper humidor.