• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

coolidor question

bluue13

So I've been reading up on coolidors and I am planning on starting one once the weather warms up and they go on sale at wally world.

My question is this...as it all seems very simple, but has anyone ever had an issue with mold or musty-ness in the cooler? I'm sure we've all had the experience of a few forgotten items in the cooler and opening it up weeks later and getting hit with that stale-ish smell. I know humi's allow for airflow and I wasnt sure if the experience that everyone has had is mostly the same. Is there something you need to do to allow for airflow through the cooler?

Thanks for the help!
-Greg

So I've been reading up on coolidors and I am planning on starting one once the weather warms up and they go on sale at wally world.

My question is this...as it all seems very simple, but has anyone ever had an issue with mold or musty-ness in the cooler? I'm sure we've all had the experience of a few forgotten items in the cooler and opening it up weeks later and getting hit with that stale-ish smell. I know humi's allow for airflow and I wasnt sure if the experience that everyone has had is mostly the same. Is there something you need to do to allow for airflow through the cooler?

Thanks for the help!
-Greg

I have a 48Ct Igloo coolidor and have had nothing but success.
I also have a Cigar Oasis and beads throughout to circulate the humidity.
I think the key to this is the setup.
I used Dawn dish detergent because it is mild and after a few days the smell went away.
It's also a pretty good idea to keep stock piling any cedar you get from cigar boxes or inserts. Usually when I get a box with a cedar insert I place it on one of the bare inside walls or layer the bottom. It has been a homerun for me for about 2 years now. Cedar trays are also a good touch and help with the humidity.

Good Luck

I recently PM'd HumidorMinister about some Spanish Cedar inserts for racks instead of using wire frame.

I also have two cedar trays that hold about 30 sticks for any singles or tasters that don't fit in my desktop humidor.

I will be using some beads, an Oust fan in conjunction with a Cigar Oasis to help hold humidity. BTW, my cooler is a 150qt. Coleman Marine.

I recently PM'd HumidorMinister about some Spanish Cedar inserts for racks instead of using wire frame.

I also have two cedar trays that hold about 30 sticks for any singles or tasters that don't fit in my desktop humidor.

I will be using some beads, an Oust fan in conjunction with a Cigar Oasis to help hold humidity. BTW, my cooler is a 150qt. Coleman Marine.

Sounds like a nice set up.. The biggest question I had was to keep the coolidor on its bottom or on the side longways. I decided with the side longways.

Sounds like a nice set up.. The biggest question I had was to keep the coolidor on its bottom or on the side longways. I decided with the side longways.

Yeah, I am thinking upright as well. With it being a 150qt, I'm going to put one of these Xikar's up top, and the Oasis at the bottom.
products_images_9_uf_img_name.jpg

Thanks for the help!
-Greg

Get an Oust Fan to help with air movement, and just open a the door for about 1-2 minutes once a month to get some fresh air in there.

Get a good dual hygrometer/thermometer like the Xikar and make sure it's calibrated. With the proper humidification, you should be good to go after that!

:thumbs:

Mold can happen regardless of where your cigars are if your humidity gets too high. I think the main appeal of coolidors is their inexpensive and effective. Control your humidity correctly and you have very little to worry about.

You should be fine with beads and an oust fan. As long as you have the right amount of beads the cigar oasis is overkill.

Jayro it's not that I enjoy overkill, but I already had a suggestion from another member here to get it out of my 100ct humidor as it was way overkill in there.

Mind you it's the CigarOasis Jr. meant for med-large size desktop humidors.

From what I've been reading, I think that the Oust fan, the CigarOasis and maybe some Boveda's over the beads will be a good setup.

:blush:

Boveda's expire beads really don't. I said it was overkill to save you money. but if you have it and want to use it then go ahead it can't hurt. Definitely use beads over Boveda packs though.

great info as usual. thanks everyone and I cant wait to set up my coolidor!

Great info...as far as humidity control goes...I keep the drain valve on my two coolerdors cracked half open and at the bottom of my setup... with my Cigar Oasis XL plus in each one it seems to keep the humidity right where I want it. Since I have some cedar right over the drain opening it doesn't allow too much moisture to escape but does keep the seal from being too tight. (in my experience)

Good luck with your build!

R

Awesome, Salukis, thanks! I was wondering if anyone had kept the drain open. Sounds like a good plan to keep the cedar there. I always hang on to any cedar inserts so I should be all set.

I'll post pics when I'm set up! It'll prob be a few months. Gonna wait for spring.

Thats interesting that you keep the drain open. Have you ever tried it closed? If so, is there a difference?

At one point I had five coolers up and running. Piled full of cedar boxes, no fancy shelves, racks, mesh bag full of Heartfelt 65% beads. Never had an issue, RH ran rock solid @ 65%.

Unless your RH gets over 75-ish%, or the temps go much above 70F, or both, you shouldn't have any mold issues.

The exception would be if you get a box of sticks that were "soaking wet"; they'll mold right up. Had that happen to a box of sharks, never since.

Regards - B.B.S.

If you have an airtight seal on your cooler (well, as air tight as they get) the Oasis could cause some problems with high humidity. When I just had one cooler I had an Oasis in it that I brought over from my desktop. It worked perfectly in the desktop, but it didn't work well at all in the cooler. The humidity would fluctuate from just below the set point to almost 75% every time it came on. Once I opened the drain, it worked fine. I had the same experience in my wine cooler humidor set up.

I really think the Oasis works best in an environment that breathes rather than in a sealed environment. Once I took out the Oasis, the beads worked flawlessly and that's all I use anymore in all of my humidors with the addition of an Oust fan in the (unplugged) wine fridge. The Oasis works great in the one desktop I maintain.

If you want the most space from cooler, leave it lying like you would normally use it. Setting it up on the end eliminates some of the storage capability of the cooler.

Good luck.

wow, very interested to see what happens here. I have a real good air tight seal and the Cigar Oasis and I have a absolute steady RH of 69. Not higher not lower. When I open the lid the RH drops but upon closing the lid it takes only minutes to get right back to the 69 RH.

If there's a better solution than beads for coolers, I haven't found it yet. In a sealed environment, like a cooler, the beads are damn near maintenance free and hold the humidity steady as a rock.

Why anyone would fuss around with a Cigar Oasis and it's required maintenance and upkeep in a cooler has me flummoxed.

One man's opinion - B.B.S.